Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8808 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Clay or Demi-God. Time To Choose A Side!

GWHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GWHH

There comes a time when you got to choose sides and the time to choose a side has come in this debate. The new 52 for the first time in 70 years and for the only time changed WW origins. A lot of us think its not such a good idea. So after a lot of debate. It time to choose a side you are on.

Are you for Wonderwoman being a Demi-God OR being made by the Gods out of clay as a gift to her mother?

The purpose of this question is to CHOOSE a side. No maybe, or I think! You got to choose a side!

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Its really hard to pick and im still not a 100% sure, but I think I am for her being a Demi-God.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gwhh said:

There comes a time when you got to choose sides and the time to choose a side has come in this debate. The new 52 for the first time in 70 years and for the only time changed WW origins. A lot of us think its not such a good idea. So after a lot of debate. It time to choose a side you are on.

Are you for Wonderwoman being a Demi-God OR being made by the Gods out of clay as a gift to her mother?

The purpose of this question is to CHOOSE a side. No maybe, or I think! You got to choose a side!

made out of clay,she was like a semi god anyway,and much more powerful than now as a semi god,ironic don't you think?.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God?!WTF?you mean New 52 ww is god?

Lol,no ironic,but that just wrong,she even far weaker than pre-52,that not god,just speculation

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

demi-god.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By PeppeyHare

Demi-god

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Demi-god, one of the few improvements in the New 52

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Recently, I started getting into the idea that she's a demigod. It makes a lot more sense considering how much more powerful she is compared to the other Amazons.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am siding with Demigoddess’ origin.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

hmmm..Whatever works for her.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By dernman

I'm not so much siding with the Demi Goddess as siding against the clay origin. Just an amped up golem if you think about it.

OP should have made this a poll.

BallPointHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clay. I liked the 'Champion of the Goddesses' origin better.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Lvenger

Both have their appeal and picking one is difficult to choose. Both work within different contexts under the right creative team so I have to say you're oversimplifying the issue way too much by asking people to pick sides. Maybe is still a very valid option given the kind of factors you fail to include here. There's always a choice to choose other than what you're being asked to do.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By TDK_1997

Both origins have their pros and cons but the one that works better for me is her being a Demi-God.The dynamics between her and the other kids of Zeus is amazing and makes the book and the character shine bright.While her being made from clay is something really creative and original but was never much of a good thing for her.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By silent_bomber

Clay

Demigod is just unoriginal and overdone.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The main reason I voted for Demi-God is that it feels like a better reason as to why she is so powerful, its a little off that someone can carry planets just because they were blessed and made of clay.. I mean why would the gods do that? This way she has actual god blood in her veins, and her powers are right to be there whether other gods like it or not.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruxae: Pre-52 god>New 52 God,they are isnt same thing

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bruxae

@powerwoman: No one is even trying to say that. The gods are gods and Wonder Woman is a demi-god, thats just fact. Whoever is strongest doesnt have anything to do with the matter.

SNascimento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SNascimento

God.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

god

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sinisteri

Clay

Diana as a character of great faith challenged by the reality of her gods to the image she was taught and the extraordinary life of engaging with these higher beings who are not naturally her equals is a more relatable concept from her story standpoint. Just saying the gods are her family does not carry the same weight as a family dynamic without the history of growing up together or the contrast of wealth/poor, respect, and kinship of suddenly family with class or cultural distinctions. Challenge of faith is a powerful story point, even more so if the character still holds the core beliefs against his/her god going against those same beliefs.

Also, Diana has now been disconnected from the thorough line of the DC Trinity-- they were each an only child. Supes, Bats and WW had no siblings. Diana's Amazon sisters were not her peers on a basic level. I don't feel Diana needed siblings to make her a better character.

Being bestowed life and blessings by the gods always put her in their orbit, and gave the irony of fighting her creators as a testament of her will, integrity and the greatest sign of her nature to defy the odds to survive by will not birthright.

I love mythology. I have no more problem with Diana being made of clay than I do gods who sprang up from sea foam or their father's split skull-- but I do note the absence of the presence those gods from this version of WW as well. Perhaps these gods need to be given "mothers" to be better and more acceptable as well despites a long history without such figures.

Hoenhime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hoenhime

demi goddess for me

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

Demi-god, that was one of the few changes Azzarello made that I don't mind.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By cameron83

@bruxae said:

Its really hard to pick and im still not a 100% sure, but I think I am for her being a Demi-God.

This

batpala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Clay

Diana as a character of great faith challenged by the reality of her gods to the image she was taught and the extraordinary life of engaging with these higher beings who are not naturally her equals is a more relatable concept from her story standpoint. Just saying the gods are her family does not carry the same weight as a family dynamic without the history of growing up together or the contrast of wealth/poor, respect, and kinship of suddenly family with class or cultural distinctions. Challenge of faith is a powerful story point, even more so if the character still holds the core beliefs against his/her god going against those same beliefs.

Also, Diana has now been disconnected from the thorough line of the DC Trinity-- they were each an only child. Supes, Bats and WW had no siblings. Diana's Amazon sisters were not her peers on a basic level. I don't feel Diana needed siblings to make her a better character.

Being bestowed life and blessings by the gods always put her in their orbit, and gave the irony of fighting her creators as a testament of her will, integrity and the greatest sign of her nature to defy the odds to survive by will not birthright.

I love mythology. I have no more problem with Diana being made of clay than I do gods who sprang up from sea foam or their father's split skull-- but I do note the absence of the presence those gods from this version of WW as well. Perhaps these gods need to be given "mothers" to be better and more acceptable as well despites a long history without such figures.

Yeah, basically this. I have nothing to add, to be perfectly honest.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think neither. I always thought the clay origin should be slightly altered, but sorry the demi-god daughter of Zeus is unorginal, uninspired b.s. that corrupts the whole story of what made wonder woman special.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

@bruxae said:

The main reason I voted for Demi-God is that it feels like a better reason as to why she is so powerful, its a little off that someone can carry planets just because they were blessed and made of clay.. I mean why would the gods do that? This way she has actual god blood in her veins, and her powers are right to be there whether other gods like it or not.

I can agree with most of this. The whole being made out of clay thing just didn't resonate to me. Having Diana be a demi-god and especially the daughter of the most powerful Olympian god, helps better explain her powers and in some ways, enrichen her mythos and further storylines.

Bigbadwolfx0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new 52 is much better of a story

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jphulk26

@bigbadwolfx0 said:

The new 52 is much better of a story

if the new 52 origin was the one they used in the 1940s when wonder woman was first created, wonder woman would not exist now. just because you like the story, doesn´t mean just making ww daughter of zeus is a good idea. even the family of the creator of ww hate what azz has done to her character. any way thats all i have to say.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 the_stegman  Moderator

Demi God. Everyone is related to everyone in Greek myths anyway, this feels right.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sinisteri

Actually, what does her being directly related to the gods bring to the table? Did it ever really do anything for Cassie pre-new 52?

What it does seem to accomplish is further separating her from her original concept as an independent female warrior from a race of Amazons. Her Amazaon heritage and background now take a backseat to her forced interaction with her "long lost family."

It seems the best way for Azz to write WW is write an altogether new character who just has the title of WW. Are the bracelets and lasso just for nostalgia, or will they too be written out soon?

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#35  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Demi-God.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizenbane:comic vine is not the only forum in the world,who said that most of WW fans worldwide like the demi gopd origin?,looking at the sales of this run and how its sales quickly dropped and keep dropping,i can say most people don't support azz's trash.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By gokuwarrior

@citizenbane:keep dreaming,WW has a good track record of getting rebots when some writters change her signature origin,it's just a matter of time until a writter goes back to basic.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By gokuwarrior

@citizenbane:it's the truth,how many times she has had some kind of change in her origin to go back to basic later?,made out of clay is something that the general audience of the world has known for 50 years,you won't make people forget that easily.

Sinisteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gokuwarrior:

Very true. Met a lady last night named Diana. When I made a comment about her having the same name as WW, she replied "Thanks for the comparison, but I hope you don't mean that bastardized version out there now."

Let's keep in mind that there is a world outside comic vine. When people think of WW, Azz version is not the one they hold up as iconic or what they model as a symbol of hope against the odds, cancer or or any measure of heroic success.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gokuwarrior:

Very true. Met a lady last night named Diana. When I made a comment about her having the same name as WW, she replied "Thanks for the comparison, but I hope you don't mean that bastardized version out there now."

Let's keep in mind that there is a world outside comic vine. When people think of WW, Azz version is not the one they hold up as iconic or what they model as a symbol of hope against the odds, cancer or or any measure of heroic success.

i have been in otyher forums and i know many,many people that don't like azz version,even on youtube,a lot of people complain about it,so azz version is not the one that most people support.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By deaditegonzo
    @citizenbane said:

@gokuwarrior said:

@citizenbane:it's the truth,how many times she has had some kind of change in her origin to go back to basic later?,made out of clay is something that the general audience of the world has known for 50 years,you won't make people forget that easily.

LMAO, what? "The general audience of the world"? Nobody outside of comic book readers knows anything about Wonder Woman, especially the clay origin. It's never been even remotely as iconic as a Crime Alley or Krypton-type origin.

When I first started into the world of comics, thanks to the Superman, Batman, Xmen and Spider-man animated series, I had no idea Wonder Woman was made of clay. So, I think this is correct based on my subjective experience.

Honestly, imo, daughter of Zeus is more iconic.. :/

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

i like her being the daughter of Zeus. adds so much intrigue to her imo. my only complaint is tht i wish she did more cool stuff in her title but other thn that i m loving Azz's run.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: lol i think almost every new reader get there info from the animated universe hell i thought Hades was her father kinda wish it was the clay thing was very new info for me when i got into comic

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizenbane:completely false,a lot of people outside comic world knows about the lasso,the jet,the bracelets and bullets signature style,and they know she is an amazon princess,and her origin of being made out of clay was stated in super friends,JL,videogames and movies,so yes,a lot of people from the general audience know that too.

gokuwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo:a lot of people outside comic world knows about the lasso,the jet,the bracelets and bullets signature style,and they know she is an amazon princess,and her origin of being made out of clay was stated in super friends,JL,videogames and movies,so yes,a lot of people from the general audience know that too.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gokuwarrior: I agree on the lasso and jet, I highly doubt most people know about the clay origin, but once again that is just based on anecdotal evidence. Id be interested in a legit survey on a respectable news website like Huffington Post or something.

whygamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By whygamespot

Clay! Zues is a crappy father who dosen't deserve Diana as his daughter. The clay is a symbol of individuality, pure spirit and yes, feminism. The clay origin makes her special. Who cares about the general audience anyway, they don't read comics. Talking about the movie, heck, is WB even going to make it?! And I don't think it will make much a difference in the movie saying that she's Zues' child or clay. These two origin are both mythological and share the same level of absurdity. In some mythology, people ARE made of clay, evidence from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_of_man_from_clay

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.