Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8807 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

B vs S Movie Hippolyta daughter of Ares?

JestersJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JestersJoker

This thread is about the origin of Wonder Woman in the upcoming movie Batman vs. Superman.

Hippolyta in Greek/Roman myth is the daughter of the war god Ares.

I did a research on the internet and could not find any reference of Hippolyta "not" being the daughter of Ares. For over 3,000 years in our schools, universities, children's books, etc. Hippolyta has been written as the daughter of the war god Ares son of Zeus.

How would this affect this upcoming movie if at all?

Making Hippolyta fall in love with her grandfather Zeus and getting pregnant with Diana? seems kinda sick to me.

I know that the vast majority of people who go to see this movie will have never read a WW comic book and never will but when they leave the theaters will they leave the theater with the conclusion that Wonder Woman was born from an incestuous relationship between Hippolyta and her grandfather Zeus mostly because of what they where taught in school even if the people at DC have not suggested anything like it. Should the movie make it clear that Hippolyta is not the daughter of Ares or just ignore it like DC has done for 70 plus years Wonder Woman has been around even if there is one back story that plainly states Hippolyta is the daughter of the war god Ares.

Granted "maybe" most people will not care, but does DC?

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is about the origin of Wonder Woman in the upcoming movie Batman vs. Superman.

I did a research on the internet and could not find any reference of Hippolyta "not" being the daughter of Ares. For over 3,000 years in our schools, universities, children's books, etc. Hippolyta has been written as the daughter of the war god Ares son of Zeus.

Making Hippolyta fall in love with her grandfather Zeus and getting pregnant with Diana? seems kinda sick to me.

I know that the vast majority of people who go to see this movie will have never read a WW comic book and never will but when they leave the theaters will they leave the theater with the conclusion that Wonder Woman was born from an incestuous relationship between Hippolyta and her grandfather Zeus mostly because of what they where taught in school even if the people at DC have not suggested anything like it. Should the movie make it clear that Hippolyta is not the daughter of Ares or just ignore it like DC has done for 70 plus years Wonder Woman has been around even if there is one back story that plainly states Hippolyta is the daughter of the war god Ares.

I'm a fan of Greek myth, though It's been a long time since I've read. I'm sure most casual readers of Myth won't realize it and nobody will care. If anything they'll assume this version of Hippolyta wasn't Aries daughter if they want to avoid the squick.

Long story short? Nobody cares. No need to make a big deal about it.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jestersjoker: This is a different Hippolyta. The amazons in DC share names with greek legends. Even Diana shares a name with Diana a goddess of the hunt, however WW clearly isnt a goddess of the hunt. Sharing the same name doesnt mean you share the same history.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

/See's Jesterjoker thread, makes a guess at the contents and... bingo!

More baseless speculation about whenever Wonder Woman was a product of incest or not.

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I am very knowledgeable about the greek pantheon... The pantheon was even created by incest.... Rhea was cronus sister.... Hera is zeus ELDER sister....... And hades even marries one of zeus daughter persephone or so.........

It will be overlooked especially by the people who you think will not overlook it like the ones who knows about the greek myths.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt the general public even know of Hippolyta's provenance, I do and I just assume she's not the granddaughter of Zeus in the dcu but it wouldn't bother me in the least if Wonder Woman had been conceived "in sin", I actually think there's something quite beautiful about it.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Muffin_Sangria

It wouldn't be the first time Zeus had sex with one of his granddaughters. Chances are they'll just ignore it, but even if the general public doesn't know enough about myth to question it I still see some "Is Wonder Woman the product of incest?" click bait articles showing up in the near furture.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

@klaus said:

@jestersjoker: This is a different Hippolyta. The amazons in DC share names with greek legends. Even Diana shares a name with Diana a goddess of the hunt, however WW clearly isnt a goddess of the hunt. Sharing the same name doesnt mean you share the same history.

Except, you know, the Hippolyta of Greek legend was Queen of the Amazons.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Yeah, but the personality and history are different. DC Hippolyta is loosely based on the greek myth. A lot of aspects in DC myth are different.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RustyRoy

Didin't Hippolyta conceive a son with Ares in the animated WW movie?

@klaus said:

@saren: Yeah, but the personality and history are different. DC Hippolyta is loosely based on the greek myth. A lot of aspects in DC myth are different.

But she is supposed to be that Hippolyta in the DCU just like Marvel Thor is supposed to be the Norse god Thor of Marvel universe.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Cronus and Rhea were siblings who bore Zeus and other gods

Zeus and Hera were siblings who were married and had children

Zeus and Demeter were also siblings and they bore Persephone who than was the consort of her uncle Hades

Myrrha was the daughter of Theias and they bore Adonis

Poseidon and his grandmother Gaia bore Antaeus

long story short incest is nothing to be surprised by when it comes to the Greek Pantheon of the gods. In fact some would say that incest only applied to mortals and not gods.

JestersJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JestersJoker

Oh, Hercules your so strong, beat me, spank me, make me write bad checks.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

@rustyroy said:

Didin't Hippolyta conceive a son with Ares in the animated WW movie?

Think you are right, certainly true that it was Ares' son... and that she lobbed his head off his shoulders... and that Zeus/Hera had to step in before she did the same to Ares.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure you just about got banned from another forum for bothering with this topic. Bottom line is that in Greek Myths ALL of the most powerful gods are the product of incest. Zeus, Cronos, Hera, Poseidon, Hades, and dozens of others were each and everyone the product of brother/sister or mother/son etc pairings. No movie viewing audience is going to give two craps about it because 99% of them won't even know who the heck Hippolyta was ... DC has never, not even once, stated that their Hippolyta was the daughter of Ares in any case. It's fiction, deal with it

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CSG_CL

Cronus and Rhea were siblings who bore Zeus and other gods

Zeus and Hera were siblings who were married and had children

Zeus and Demeter were also siblings and they bore Persephone who than was the consort of her uncle Hades

Myrrha was the daughter of Theias and they bore Adonis

Poseidon and his grandmother Gaia bore Antaeus

long story short incest is nothing to be surprised by when it comes to the Greek Pantheon of the gods. In fact some would say that incest only applied to mortals and not gods.

Incest (while nasty) is a problem of genetics ... morality comes into it because so many genetically passed weaknesses get passed along when a lack of gene diversity (i.e. shallow gene pool) happens. When you start talking about gods the whole concept gets thrown out the window because technically gods have no genetic weaknesses to pass down to their offspring. It's not like Hippolyta grew up with "grandpa" and then slept with him.

Incest is a regular theme throughout Greek mythology ... practically in every story you'll find cases of it ... and as far as I can recall it's only a problem in the case of mortal/human incest (i.e. Oedipus).

JestersJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JestersJoker

@csg_cl said:

DC has never, not even once, stated that their Hippolyta was the daughter of Ares in any case. It's fiction, deal with it

Where did this come from?

No Caption Provided
    CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

DC has never, not even once, stated that their Hippolyta was the daughter of Ares in any case. It's fiction, deal with it

Where did this come from?

No Caption Provided

a totally different universe than the characters live in

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

@klaus said:

Except, you know, the Hippolyta of Greek legend was Queen of the Amazons.

She wasn't the only Queen of the Greek Amazon's though, she had 3 sisters and didn't become Queen until after 2 of them died during the Trojan War ... certainly DC borrowed the name and generic background but she's just as clearly her own unique character.

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CSG_CL
    Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

FYI, Zeus married his older sister

JestersJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JestersJoker

So you think since Zeus married his sister he should be abel to have his granddaughter also?

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yo stfu with this shit bro. your on every fucking forum with nonsense. take a hint from the bannings, nobody gives a shit about incest when it comes to greek mythology.

JestersJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JestersJoker

I care and there are others who feel the same way and to us it is not nonsense.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I care and there are others who feel the same way and to us it is not nonsense.

who is this us, who are these others, your imaginary friends?

not one person on this thread is supporting your stance.

again if you don't like reading about incest, don't bother with greek myth. it's prominent all over the pantheon. people don't throw fits about it because a. it's been that way since it was created b. it's not common knowledge c. those who do know don't care because of the first point. ww was loosely based on greek myth so even if ares was actually depicted as her granpops(he hasn't), it wouldn't be any different from zeus's escapades of old. unless you willfully ignore the other dozens of times he's slept with his own kin like you know hera.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidstandout: and lets not forget that Hades was his wife's Uncle, Zeus and his siblings were the children of siblings who were in turn the children of a Mother/son pairing. There are literally dozens of incestuous pairings in Greek Myth. People's personal "morality" is dandy, but unless you can hop in your time machine and go back about 3500 years there's nothing to do about it.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

@kidstandout: and lets not forget that Hades was his wife's Uncle, Zeus and his siblings were the children of siblings who were in turn the children of a Mother/son pairing. There are literally dozens of incestuous pairings in Greek Myth. People's personal "morality" is dandy, but unless you can hop in your time machine and go back about 3500 years there's nothing to do about it.

exactly

/thread

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@klaus said:

Diana is not a Greek goddess.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

@klaus said:

not in the classical sense, but since 2012 she's been in the DC Greek Pantheon as the God of War

redleader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Come on, the freaking mother and father of the gods were brother and sister. Yea Zeus and Hera are siblings plus mostly every god has slept with someone in their family. Heck Zeus raped his sister hecta in some myths, in the firm of a swan.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

@squares said:

@klaus said:

not in the classical sense, but since 2012 she's been in the DC Greek Pantheon as the God of War

Diana is not the Greek goddess of the hunt.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

According to Percy Jackson, gods don't have DNA, so it's technically not incest

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: I didn't say she was. I said in the DC universe she was the God of War. Clearly she is not meant to be Diana the Huntess from classical myth.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

@squares: I didn't say she was. I said in the DC universe she was the God of War. Clearly she is not meant to be Diana the Huntess from classical myth.

You said, word for word, "The amazons in DC share names with greek legends. Even Diana shares a name with Diana a goddess of the hunt".

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CSG_CL

@squares: and that is all true. I did not, however, state that they were the same as their namesakes ... Simply that they were inspired by the Greek myths. But I didn't say that ... The OP did.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.