Follow

Wonder Woman

Character » Wonder Woman appears in 8807 issues.

The Amazon princess, blessed with god-like super abilities, Wonder Woman is one of Earth's most powerful defenders of peace, justice, and equality and a member of the Justice League. She is considered an archetype for many heroines outside of comic book. Her initial origin depicted her as a clay baby brought to life by patron goddess Aphrodite, but in recent years she has been depicted as the daughter of Zeus and Amazon queen Hippolyta.

Aquaman and Atlantis look epic compared to WW and Themyscira

• 121 results
    Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Why don't you ask the same question about Krypton, Gorilla City or Atlantis? I would like to know the answer.

The real question is, "why wouldn't they move forward?" Aren't they supposed to be a formidable culture? What have they been doing for 3,000 years? Civilizations don't stay the same for thousands of years. They progress overtime. History itself proves this. It just seems like you can't handle a race of powerful women thriving for themselves, even if it is fictional.

You probably purposefully ignored my last statement on my other post because you made a fool of yourself.

Do you know anything about development? Wait no, you clearly don't, so let me just post this picture of a Galapagos Tortoise to demonstrate what I mean:

No Caption Provided

It lives on the isolated Galapagos Islands, it's very big, it gets very old, it doesn't move very fast and before humans arrived, it had no natural enemies and it's lived like this as a species for hundreds of thousands of years. It's development has for all intents and purposes ceased, because it simply didn't need to do more than it's able to do now.

You want to know why the Amazons aren't riding around on rockets with laser guns? Ask yourself, why would they need this? To relieve boredom?

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@outside_85: Because unlike the Galapagos tortoise, they’ve got an inquisitive mind? because the day may come when boatloads of German soldiers storm their shores, because the God of War is bound to return? The Amazons actually do prepare for the prospect of invasion, yet ironically they’re woefully unprepared, they’re like fish in a barrel

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Because unlike the Galapagos tortoise, they’ve got an inquisitive mind?
    because the day may come when boatloads of German soldiers storm their shores, because the God of War is bound to return?
    The Amazons actually do prepare for the prospect of invasion, yet ironically they’re woefully unprepared, they’re like fish in a barrel

Is any of them Leonardo da Vinci or anywhere like him, because I dont think we've ever met that Amazon in all of fiction.
    The sun might also go out, do you propose they have a moon sized nuclear reactor hiding in the caverns below?
    Yes, because the Amazons were all dead and the Germans caught Trevor... oh wait, I got that backwards.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Archizooom

@outside_85: Look no further than Wonder Woman herself, Diana was an inventive genius in the Golden Age, she invented the purple healing ray, discovered the vitamin L3, even built the invisible plane

And the sun has another 10 billion years to live, the giant nuclear reactor can wait, the threat of invasion is a more pressing matter for the Amazons I would say. Men and other invading species hunted the giant turtles to just this side of extinction, the Amazons could suffer the same fate should Paradise Island be found

Avatar image for geraldofvengerberg
    Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@archizooom said:

@outside_85: Because unlike the Galapagos tortoise, they’ve got an inquisitive mind? because the day may come when boatloads of German soldiers storm their shores, because the God of War is bound to return? The Amazons actually do prepare for the prospect of invasion, yet ironically they’re woefully unprepared, they’re like fish in a barrel

@archizooom said:

@outside_85: Look no further than Wonder Woman herself, Diana was an inventive genius in the Golden Age, she invented the purple healing ray, discovered the vitamin L3, even built the invisible plane

And the sun has another 10 billion years to live, the giant nuclear reactor can wait, the threat of invasion is a more pressing matter for the Amazons I would say. Men and other invading species hunted the giant turtles to just this side of extinction, the Amazons could suffer the same fate should Paradise Island be found

How hard is it people to accept Amazon have Brains and they cannot protect anything with just swords and Arrows!

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And I think you will agree that Diana has always been a very special Amazon with powers and abilities the others dont have.

How hard is it people to accept Amazon have Brains and they cannot protect anything with just swords and Arrows!

It's worked just fine for them for the last several thousand years and it worked just fine for them in the movie as well.

Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@archizooom said:

And I think you will agree that Diana has always been a very special Amazon with powers and abilities the others don't have.

@geraldofvengerberg said:

How hard is it for people to accept Amazon have Brains and they cannot protect anything with just swords and Arrows!

It's worked just fine for them for the last several thousand years and it worked just fine for them in the movie as well.

Not really, defeating a dozen WW1 Germans with WW1 rifles by strength in number is not a feat while Steppenwolf squashed them like flies. I don't think they had other battles since they isolated themselves to protect Diana and other powerful plot devices.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really, defeating a dozen WW1 Germans with WW1 rifles by strength in number is not a feat while Steppenwolf squashed them like flies. I don't think they had other battles since they isolated themselves to protect Diana and other powerful plot devices.

Their weaponry worked just as fine on the germans as they always had on any other target. And Steppenwolf also required the combined might of the Amazons, their Gods, Atlanteans and the tribes of men to defeat the last time around, so the Amazons alone would always struggle against him.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
    SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85 said:
    @truethemyscira said:

Why don't you ask the same question about Krypton, Gorilla City or Atlantis? I would like to know the answer.

The real question is, "why wouldn't they move forward?" Aren't they supposed to be a formidable culture? What have they been doing for 3,000 years? Civilizations don't stay the same for thousands of years. They progress overtime. History itself proves this. It just seems like you can't handle a race of powerful women thriving for themselves, even if it is fictional.

You probably purposefully ignored my last statement on my other post because you made a fool of yourself.

Do you know anything about development? Wait no, you clearly don't, so let me just post this picture of a Galapagos Tortoise to demonstrate what I mean:

No Caption Provided

It lives on the isolated Galapagos Islands, it's very big, it gets very old, it doesn't move very fast and before humans arrived, it had no natural enemies and it's lived like this as a species for hundreds of thousands of years. It's development has for all intents and purposes ceased, because it simply didn't need to do more than it's able to do now.

You want to know why the Amazons aren't riding around on rockets with laser guns? Ask yourself, why would they need this? To relieve boredom?

No, to prepare for the next attack from Apokolips.

Your whole argument is senseless. These are fictional women from an advanced utopian society, the films should reflect that. But let's just say for s#*ts and giggles there's NO technology, it should still look as much like Themyscira as Atlantis resembles it's comicbook counterpart in Aquaman. This is Themyscira...

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The Wonder Woman film couldn't even manage to give us greco-roman architecture. It didn't even mirror it's own concept art.

No Caption Provided

This dirty pile of beige rocks may as well be Beirut...

No Caption Provided

Actually Beirut looks better, and wtf is this curly que s#*t?

No Caption Provided

This didn't come from any of WW's mythology, they just sat around and made it up, f#@k outta here!

TrueThemyscira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Just stop. Your arguments are weak and don’t make any sense.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: Just stop. Your arguments are weak and don’t make any sense.

To troglodytes perhaps.

Your whole argument is senseless. These are fictional women from an advanced utopian society, the films should reflect that. But let's just say for s#*ts and giggles there's NO technology, it should still look as much like Themyscira as Atlantis resembles it's comicbook counterpart in Aquaman. This is Themyscira...

The Wonder Woman film couldn't even manage to give us greco-roman architecture. It didn't even mirror it's own concept art.

This didn't come from any of WW's mythology, they just sat around and made it up, f#@k outta here!

To which they were as prepared as they believed themselves to be. Their gods had hidden them away, 'on an island they cannot leave' and could not be found. If Apokolips returned, the Amazons knew their sole job in that war would be to keep them from the Motherbox.

I'm the one who's making senseless arguments? WTF is wrong with you?! You have never EVER been able to argue for why they would have anything advanced! It's just 's#*ts and giggles' reasons why, every single time you try. And it's all effing bullshit, always.

Dont strain yourself, but A) not everything greco-roman looks like it's the Acropolis in Athens, which has long been a mistake of various artists, they take single well-known building and thinks the entire city looks like that. It's like if a Japanese artist drew an entire western city as consisting of churches. B) Themyscira in the movies is based on an filmed in an actual roman city, so thats just another one of your arguments thats in the toilet.

But in this case it's Italy. You are aware they shot most of the Paradise Island stuff there?

Pretty sure you couldn't locate Beirut on a map. Would you rather have a statue of Zeus with a massive erection? Greeks were quite fond dicks in art.

Yes, thats what filmmakers do. Comic book writers and artists do the same.

Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine said:
    @outside_85 said:
    @truethemyscira said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

This is exactly What I pictured Themyscira to look like! Themyscira in movie is an insult to WW fans and Woman

TrueThemyscira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: You aren’t doing yourself any favors by responding to a post that already dismissed your entire argument. Again, your response is just typical nonsense rambling that leads to nowhere.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: You aren’t doing yourself any favors by responding to a post that already dismissed your entire argument. Again, your response is just typical nonsense rambling that leads to nowhere.

You haven't dismissed anything, you couldn't even build a coherent argument if you even tried. So yeah, do everyone a favor and go somewhere else. Like back to school where you belong.

lannister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#116  Edited By lannister

The tortoise comparison is deeply flawed, evolution and civilization advancement are completely different.

Tortoises "think" that the world is limited to their island, they can not imagine that there are threats out there that might land on their shores.

Amazons know very well that it might happen.

Besides just because their society is stable does not mean that they can not improve some of their technologies, for example in the recent Rucka run, we can see them doing some astronomy, the telescop they are using may be very good, but they can create new ones that would be better, just because they like to study the stars. And to create these new devices, they would need to upgrade their knowledge, abilities, tools and so on...

And that's just one example, I could give more.

In short, I don't see any reasons for the Amazon's tech to get stuck in the same state for centuries, improving on what they already have would make more sense.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The tortoise comparison is deeply flawed, evolution and civilization advancement are completely different.

Tortoises "think" that the world is limited to their island, they can not imagine that there are threats out there that might land on their shores.

Which makes it funny that they get caught off guard just about every single time it happens.
    Look, the Amazons know their island is shielded and invisible to the eyes of outsiders, they know that as a blessing from their gods, whom they have faith in. They know they are not going to be found save by random chance, and by that account, they are not expecting that a large scale assault could ever be mounted against them. Also, let me just point out the ship the Germans arrived in, it capsized when it crossed the barrier.

You are right the Amazons know it might happen, but they also know that historically it will only happen once every several hundred years.

Besides just because their society is stable does not mean that they can not improve some of their technologies, for example in the recent Rucka run, we can see them doing some astronomy, the telescop they are using may be very good, but they can create new ones that would be better, just because they like to study the stars. And to create these new devices, they would need to upgrade their knowledge, abilities, tools and so on...

In short, I don't see any reasons for the Amazon's tech to get stuck in the same state for centuries, improving on what they already have would make more sense.

And for all we know, they may have these technologies, but we don't see them, because they are irrelevant to the story the movie aimed to tell.
    My point with the tortoise however stands. Because think about it, you have on Paradise Island, a closed system. The Amazons do not leave this place, and the outside world doesn't affect it or interact with it in any way. All the knowledge and skill they have are on the island right now, but then you add in that the Amazons are immortal and they don't get new members. So all the knowledge and skill the Amazons have are all vested into the same people who had it 3000 years ago spread across the society. My point about the tortoise is that like it, the Amazons are trapped in a closed environment. They have innovated up to a certain point where the new ideas simply run out, the same eyes have looked at the same problem so many times they can't see past them. And when the outside world doesn't reach them in any way, they don't receive any new inputs. And I put all of this the way I do, because thats what happens every time mankind has encountered an isolated tribe of humans or type of animal: They've adapted to the area an conditions they are in, and stopped once they've reached peak efficiency and capability with the knowledge and skill they have.

Thats also my point with the people who boldly proclaim the Amazons should be technologically more advanced than human society, because there is really no base for them to be that other than 'just because they are in comics'. And why I keep asking for someone to point out where the radical Amazon mind is that could innovate them to that state, where is their Leonardo da Vinci? Where do you get a fresh take or idea in a mind thats 3000 years old and sees nothing new?

And who knows? Perhaps the arrival of Steve and the Germans means the Amazons started innovating once they got to study the weapons, clothes and other stuff they could get their hands on? As far as we know, this was the first time it's ever happened that someone blundered into their world like this.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lannister said:

Which makes it funny that they get caught off guard just about every single time it happens.
    Look, the Amazons know their island is shielded and invisible to the eyes of outsiders, they know that as a blessing from their gods, whom they have faith in. They know they are not going to be found save by random chance, and by that account, they are not expecting that a large scale assault could ever be mounted against them. Also, let me just point out the ship the Germans arrived in, it capsized when it crossed the barrier.

You are right the Amazons know it might happen, but they also know that historically it will only happen once every several hundred years.

And for all we know, they may have these technologies, but we don't see them, because they are irrelevant to the story the movie aimed to tell.
    My point with the tortoise however stands. Because think about it, you have on Paradise Island, a closed system. The Amazons do not leave this place, and the outside world doesn't affect it or interact with it in any way. All the knowledge and skill they have are on the island right now, but then you add in that the Amazons are immortal and they don't get new members. So all the knowledge and skill the Amazons have are all vested into the same people who had it 3000 years ago spread across the society. My point about the tortoise is that like it, the Amazons are trapped in a closed environment. They have innovated up to a certain point where the new ideas simply run out, the same eyes have looked at the same problem so many times they can't see past them. And when the outside world doesn't reach them in any way, they don't receive any new inputs. And I put all of this the way I do, because thats what happens every time mankind has encountered an isolated tribe of humans or type of animal: They've adapted to the area an conditions they are in, and stopped once they've reached peak efficiency and capability with the knowledge and skill they have.

Thats also my point with the people who boldly proclaim the Amazons should be technologically more advanced than human society, because there is really no base for them to be that other than 'just because they are in comics'. And why I keep asking for someone to point out where the radical Amazon mind is that could innovate them to that state, where is their Leonardo da Vinci? Where do you get a fresh take or idea in a mind thats 3000 years old and sees nothing new?

And who knows? Perhaps the arrival of Steve and the Germans means the Amazons started innovating once they got to study the weapons, clothes and other stuff they could get their hands on? As far as we know, this was the first time it's ever happened that someone blundered into their world like this.

Your stance crumbles like a cookie and you're obviously as nutty as a fruitcake.

Stay alone on your island wit'cha ole' geriatric tortoise.

He's your only friend. :)

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Outside_85

Your stance crumbles like a cookie and you're obviously as nutty as a fruitcake.

He, or she, would also be the more intelligent to talk to if the choice was between you and it.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He, or she, would also be the more intelligent to talk to if the choice was between you and it.

It's really funny how you keep questioning other people's intelligence after coming up with a stupid ass position you can't even defend.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Outside_85

It's really funny how you keep questioning other people's intelligence after coming up with a stupid ass position you can't even defend.

I've been defending it just fine, but I am not going to lower it to your level so you'd get it too.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: No, we still see it as a dumb ass, indefensible arguement you're only making to mask your sexist mindset. You just feel the need to have the last word, which you're not going to get. Not here, not today, or any other that ends in 'y'.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Outside_85

@scorpio_cassadine said:

@outside_85: No, we still see it as a dumb ass, indefensible arguement you're only making to mask your sexist mindset. You just feel the need to have the last word, which you're not going to get. Not here, not today, or any other that ends in 'y'.

Who is 'we'? I wonder, when its you?

And yes, I do, especially when it comes to people like you who offer nothing to the debate at hand and only show up to troll.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine said:

And yes, I do, especially when it comes to people like you who offer nothing to the debate at hand and only show up to troll.

"We" are the people in this thread who disagree with you. Which is almost everyone. You really aren't too bright are you?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85 said:
    @scorpio_cassadine said:

"We" are the people in this thread who disagree with you. Which is almost everyone. You really aren't too bright are you?

Almost everyone? No. There is you and one or two other people, one of which is a hater who hasn't posted a single positive comment on the WW board yet. So I guess you can't count either.

WhyZoSerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aquaman fans know this movie will stink and that's why they are attacking the other movies on any different levels but that wouldn't make me feel better. WW was great movie, especially by the standards of DCEU. Nobody gives a shit about the pictures or the feats. When you see them arguing about them, you know they are desperate and you know the movie is gonna suck.

Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aquaman fans know this movie will stink and that's why they are attacking the other movies on any different levels but that wouldn't make me feel better. WW was great movie, especially by the standards of DCEU. Nobody gives a shit about the pictures or the feats. When you see them arguing about them, you know they are desperate and you know the movie is gonna suck.

I do and plenty of other WW fans also cares about feats.

WhyZoSerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whyzoserious said:

I do and plenty of other WW fans also cares about feats.

You may, but that's the last thing that will define one movie bad or good. Comic book audience is probably less than 5% and these people are actually the most subjective ones out of everybody because they will like the movie no matter of the quality but just because it is their favourite character.

So this thread is such a joke and does put a smile on my face.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpio_cassadine said:
    @outside_85 said:
    @scorpio_cassadine said:

Almost everyone? No. There is you and one or two other people, one of which is a hater who hasn't posted a single positive comment on the WW board yet. So I guess you can't count either.

On your island of desiring a dingy Paradise there's only 2, you and your rusty tortoise.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.