Anyone reading Odyssey of the Amazons?

#1 Posted by Tedirey (1812 posts) - - Show Bio

What do you guys and gals think about this unique take of ancient Amazon history?

#2 Posted by Tedirey (1812 posts) - - Show Bio

OK, I'll break the ice and say I really hated it.

But I'm hoping they would show DC's version of Norse mythology.

#3 Posted by Super-Wonder (521 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't make it through the opening few pages of the first issue.
I'm not sure what I was expecting from the comic but I didn't feel any Wonder Woman vibe at all.
I'll wait for the series to finish then give it a read.

#4 Posted by Yarva (2922 posts) - - Show Bio

It has been fantastic.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
#5 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (1965 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it too. It took 3 tries to make it through the first issue, the overwrought writing was too conscious of itself. Then the second avoided that trap and became truly enjoyable. Hessia was level headed and fair when the doubting Amazon and vikings challenged her. The sexism wasn't cliched as it easily could have been. The art and action were good. We got specifics on the mission and number of Amazons. Now that the red shirts are gone, the focus shifts to those remaining and I look forward to getting to know them.

#6 Posted by Tedirey (1812 posts) - - Show Bio

@scorpio_cassadine:

Hessia is one of the few bright spots of the series so far. I like how diverse the Amazons are. We got a samurai Amazon and a warrior from an African tribe.

Avatar image for masterwitcher88
#7 Posted by masterwitcher88 (435 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't even started the second issue, could barely get past the first. If it does get better maybe I'll pick it up after the first story is done and read the whole thing at once.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
#8 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (1965 posts) - - Show Bio

@masterwitcher88: The second one is much easier to follow because the poetic imitation Homer's Odyssey preamble isn't in it. It starts off with the Amazons looking for their missing sisters and all the problems of their trip at sea. Then it cuts straight into more action with Vikings and eventually another menace.

#9 Posted by Tedirey (1812 posts) - - Show Bio

The latest issue (4) tells the origins of the Amazons and the Valkyries and what a twist it is.

And here's a first look at the new version of Thor and Odin:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for masterwitcher88
#10 Posted by masterwitcher88 (435 posts) - - Show Bio

@tedirey: Glad Thor has hair like in the myth, as he's suppose to.

Odin on the other hand, needs white hair and a longer beard, I don't even see his spear Gungnir.

Valhalla is depicted pretty well at least so that's cool.

#11 Posted by Bumpaddle (128 posts) - - Show Bio

I lost my local mom and pop comic shop that took care of little things like this so I didn't even know it was out.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.