gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Good things come to those who wait. From the first issue, we’ve seen Wolverine start a new path. Paul Cornell picked up from the previous volume with Wolverine losing his healing factor, thanks to Sabretooth. This has set off Wolverine on a dark and angry path now that he has to face his own mortality. Aligning himself with a new (and questionable) group, we saw Wolverine do some things that have outraged long time fans.

Of course waiting for the answers could help to explain some things.

Throughout these first four issues, Cornell has been going back and forth in Wolverine’s timeline, showing the present along with the moments that lead up to his new situation. We’ve seen him lash out at his friends and loved ones as he’s distanced himself more and more. With each scene, we find out more and more. There are some moments that are tough to see (like Wolverine’s encounter with Kitty Pryde). Seeing everything unfold does help us understand what is going on and why Wolverine was able to shoot a man in cold bold in the first issue. The story is definitely becoming more intriguing as we start to get all the pieces of the puzzle.

Ryan Stegman continues to do what he does best. He draws a tough Wolverine and you can really see and feel how far he’s fallen. Stegman’s crisp and clean detailed art smacks you in the face and you get a great sense of how Wolverine’s world is changing.

The Bad

The story is heating up but, just as with the end of the previous volume, I’m getting a little tired of having so much of the focus be on Sabretooth. Yes, he is Wolverine’s greatest enemy but it would be nice to have someone else come into the picture as well. Sabretooth may not have a physical presence but because of what he did to Wolverine, he remains at the forefront of Wolverine’s motives.

The Verdict

Paul Cornell is shaking things up with Wolverine. Many have questioned Wolverine’s action as well as become outraged but with each flashback scene, we find out more and more of why Wolverine has done the things he did in past issues. It’s fun to look back and see why everything has happened and how they fit together. Ryan Stegman’s art is a joy to see. He makes each scene with Wolverine nice and gritty, reflecting how he’s feeling. Despite how much I like Wolverine, there have been times recently where I’ve grown a little complacent with his escapades. Cornell and Stegman are making Wolverine fun and exciting.

Luismah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ryan Stegman´s art is awesome, I just love it, but the story so far, poor james....

ClawFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By ClawFist

So I really liked this issue. It helped relieve a lot of the "What the heck is Logan doing?!" tension I had in the previous issues.

I have to agree with the gripes about Sabretooth. I've never really been a big Sabretooth fan, I've always preferred Cyber or Omega Red. Both of which are dead now.

Another gripe I'm having with this series so far though, is Ryan Stegman. Now don't get me wrong, I love me some Ryan Stegman art, especially in this issue. Now I don't know if it was a communication issue or what, but he's drawing the wrong Silver Samurai. I highly doubt that the new Silver Samurai would throw on his dad's old duds compared to his highly advanced technology, so I don't think its a story thing either. Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, did I miss something?

When did Wolverine find out where Cyclops' school was?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Whoever this guy is pretending to be Wolverine, may he just die already?

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: Yea, I like it.

How? Thus far, all that Cornell has given us is an out of character Wolverine whom because he's lost his healing factor(Something that has happened to him twice), decides that it's okay to shoot innocent news reporters in the had, becomes a coward, becomes a criminal, and alienates all the people trying to help him like an as%hole. The whole "The Wolverine is dead" stuff feels like a poorly forced attempt at bringing weight to the comic as well. The only thing I can give Cornell credit for is making Sabretooth a threat again after so many years of Victor jobbing.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

How? Thus far, all that Cornell has given us is an out of character Wolverine whom because he's lost his healing factor(Something that has happened to him twice), decides that it's okay to shoot innocent news reporters in the had, becomes a coward, becomes a criminal, and alienates all the people trying to help him like an as%hole. The whole "The Wolverine is dead" stuff feels like a poorly forced attempt at bringing weight to the comic as well. The only thing I can give Cornell credit for is making Sabretooth a threat again after so many years of Victor jobbing.

I take it you haven't read this issue then?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Wolverine008

@wolverine08 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

No, will go through it when I hit up the comic shop later this week. Something big happen? I don't really care about spoilers.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@jonny_anonymous said:

@wolverine08 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

No, will go through it when I hit up the comic shop later this week. Something big happen? I don't really care about spoilers.

Well read this at your own peril but Wolverine is actually undercover for SHIELD and and his using his powerlessness to infiltrate the Offers crime syndicate in an attempt to take down Sabertooth, it also gives you reasons for why Logan has been acting the way he's been acting and what the deal with the reporter was.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@wolverine08 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Well read this at your own peril but Wolverine is actually undercover for SHIELD and and his using his powerlessness to infiltrate the Offers crime syndicate in an attempt to take down Sabertooth, it also gives you reasons for why Logan has been acting the way he's been acting and what the deal with the reporter was.

No Caption Provided

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

@wolverine08 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@wolverine08 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

No Caption Provided

haha

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: Have you checked it out yet?

Naw, I'm going to be at the comic shop next week. I tend to pick up my comics within two weeks intervals so I can read in bulk, and last week I went, so this is my off week. For the first time in a while, I'm kind of excited to check out Paul Cornell's Wolverine though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.