Avatar image for super_soldierxii
    Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

@super_soldierxii: Hey man, it's kind of hard to have faith with how dreadfully weak and boring the series has been so far during Marvel NOW, but you do bring up a fair point in regards to remaking the standard around Wolverine's martial talent. Cornell does have a pretty great opportunity to reestablish that Wolverine can actually utilize his prodigious martial talent, and it is an important addition along with the ludicrous healing factor and adamantium skeleton to make him the best there is. If Cornell plays it right, he could set a golden standard for Marvel editors and writers to follow regarding his skill. Something of a Manifest Destiny type story just on a much, much wider scale. If Cornell does do something like that, I can forgive the man for the last couple of months of his out of character Wolverine. Might even write him a thank you letter :D

Yeah. Logan was terribly out of character. I cringed half the time.

But, y'know what, when I think back to some of the classic Wolverine stories, he's been out of character an awful lot the past few decades (I'm not THAT old, was just really young when I started reading comics. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it). Which is why many are tired of him. He's grown, and I hate to say it, too one dimensional.

I think what I like about the character most remains trapped in the 80's. I'm a fanboy of the ethos behind the character; a gruff, tough as nails bastard with a heart of gold and an unshakable moral compass, enforced by a deep rooted sense of honor / bushido - an ideal that's been butchered to hell far too often by terrible writing (depth prostituted for shock value) and a shallow grasp of the character to be blunt.

Truth be told, the only real great story I've read in recent years was Old Man Logan. He's had a few good stories, but far too few truly great ones.

All that said, I do agree that Cornell has a whole lot of catching up to do, and a lot to answer for, before I too begin to sing his praises.

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still don't like how Marvel relaunched it a month later with a new #1. It would've been just as easy to call it #13.NOW and slap a #1 on it like they've been doing with the other .NOW books. I'll still buy it though; this seems to be an interesting take on Wolverine.

Marvel has tried a variety of different methods recently - outright renumbering, putting a giant #1 tag on the cover, just calling it "#X.NOW", to pitting a big #1 on the cover but labeling the story arc. I think Marvel is trying to see which method works the best at its intended goal (getting people to jump on) while not generating internet hate.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@super_soldierxii: Ehhhhhhh, I'm not too sure about you not being that old dude. I've always envisioned you as a cranky old man with a shaggy beard! :D As for your comments, they are quite spot on. Modern writers of Wolverine have far too often content to have him just hack, slash, and brood in a 2D fashion. Most often forgetting all that heart of gold and bushio led code of honor that made his character when Chris Claremont and Frank Miller dropped that faithful mini series back in 82' that started James path to popularity. He's also been losing a good deal of his major villains like Sabretooth, Gorgon, etc. to jobbing IMO. I do think some have managed to get past the silliness and write some pretty great stories for him in this past decade looking at his character. Despite all the controversy around revealing his origin, I think Origin by Paul Jenkins was a pretty heartfelt story looking back at Wolverine. Logan by Brian K. Vaughn was a pretty awesome look into what just made James a man during his developing years as well in my opinion. The already aforementioned Old Man Logan was pretty awesome as well. Hopefully, maybe Cornell's new, unique take can pave way for Wolverine being written more consistently and with more character depth looking forward. Wolverine fanboys can only hope.

ripcurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

How did Marvel explain away adamantium poisoning?

When X-23 lost her healing factor she immediately got sick, and she has way less adamantium on her bones than Logan.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@tommythehitman: Bru, Warlock, Longshot, Prodigy, Danger, Ms. Marvel, Deadpool, Fantomex, Mimic.

Did Carol actually officially join? I haven't read all of her Uncanny X-Men appearances, so I've maybe missed that.

Kal_Brixton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow! Wolverine with no healing factor, after all the great stories that made him awesome this is the best idea yet!

BTW, I heard there are a bunch of other #1 titles coming out with some cool changes to characters that lost their powers too, Nightcrawler #1 ( he has a ring from Illyana Rasputin that makes him teleport, Superman #1 ( he wears glasses that give x ray/heat vision, an armor suit, rocket boots, and a mini hurricane machine in his mouth for freeze breath ), Dazzler #1 ( She just keeps J.J Abrams with her for lens flare effect ), Xavier/Cerebro #1 ( details are in the title, people ...), Deadpool #1 ( it wont go past #1 cause wearing swords on his wrists is just as stupid as Wolverine without a healing factor wearing Wonder Woman Bracelets with knives on them ), also check out Batman #1 ( Batman actually GAINS powers of Beyonder status, doesnt need anymore sidekicks and finally destroys all his enemies in the second panel ). Oh and Cable #1 ( never mind,Cable with no powers means we just lost 300 different X Men groups and 738 different timelines ).

All these new titles are so imaginative and awesome that I don't know which new powerless character title to choose from........

No wonder the Wolverine staff makes the big bucks! I can hear the conversation now, .........

Wolverine Creative Team -" how do we beat the Old Man Logan, Days of future Past and Wolverine in Japan stories?".........after 31 hours of thinking about it and getting Bishop to help them slide timelines to have even more time to think and get back even before they left, Random Creative Person #1 - " got it GUYS!, we take his main power away!......." Random Creative Person #2 " what about his claws, that wont make sense to have him pop those things out with out a healing factor...." Random Creative Person #3 - " Guys, Guys, Guys, I got it .....just give him some bracelets... with .....claws .....inside them.....?????!!!!!." Rest of the Creative Team - " OMG, that's just genius! "

Say external blades again, I dare you, I double Dare you.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By DarthAznable

But is he still King Jobber?

Avatar image for thecoolestnerdd
    TheCoolestNerdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@allstarsuperman: I'm really behind on wolverine, wasn't the healing factor the only thing keeping him from dying of adamantanium poisoning?

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Spoiler, Wolverine is a Jack***.

Honestly, Wolverine has outlived his usefulness that they're trying everything to keep him relevant when he's continually being a character people are becoming increasingly indifferent to.

I don't understand how people can like him when he's a self righteous hypocrite.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@allstarsuperman: I'm really behind on wolverine, wasn't the healing factor the only thing keeping him from dying of adamantanium poisoning?

Someone posted above that Beast made an antidote thing.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

User Lists: 2

@dstick88 said:

@xphilsa97x said:

So if wolverine doesn't have his healing factor, what happens when his claws come out of his hands? Those wounds would never heal properly when he retracts them...

This really is a great question any accurate answer on this?

COMIC BOOKS….

Eh paul writing has lots of holes in it . The art is good though

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
    Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: @super_soldierxii: So as fans, would you recommend this? i want to Give cornell a chance because I've seen him write before( He wrote one of my favorite Doctor who episodes), and he CAN be good.

I wouldn't recommend his work on Wolverine up till now. His "Killable" storyline saw Logan too far out of character all too often ... left a bad taste in a lot of us older fans' mouths.

As to the new direction, we'll all have to wait and see. I'll be picking up #1 tomorrow. Here's hoping.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thought this book was boring

Vulshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First Wolverine issue for me in a while. I know he has lost his healing factor but I felt a little lost. Was he a part of that organization in the previous volume?

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By lykopis

Hated it.

I just finished reading it and it just got worse and worse from the start to finish. The ending? PuhLEASE. My first thought was that's a planted robot by Wolverine and not a real human, much like Black Widow's copy robot he was firing at earlier.

I had hoped most optimistic people were right, in thinking it would be an opportunity to see Logan display his incredible fighting skills but, nope. Not even close.

So freaking disappointed.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#69  Edited By Bezza

hmm, not sure. Marvel seem to be messing about with their most popular characters now. A Spiderman who isn't really spiderman, Wolverine without healing factor and external claws, a Hulk who doesn't smash...what the heck next, a Thanos who cries when he slapped by Thor's hammer??!!

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@bezza: Change isn't a bad thing if the stories are good. None of this stuff is gonna be permanent anyway. It's how comics work

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess I might be in the minority of people who liked this book. I found it quite an enjoyable read.

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

Not a good issue at all. Come on, this isn't the Logan I know. I was really excited for this, I haven't read a really good Wolverine story ever since Remender's Uncanny X-Force, but this disappointed me to the extreme. Not sure if I'll even give issue 2 a chance.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#73  Edited By Extremis

Am I the only one who hated this issue? I gave it a 2/5. And those claw bracelets are lame.

I might pick up the next issue to give it another shot, but on the whole I didn't like it and wouldn't recommend it.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sounds like the issue was lame......

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#75  Edited By Fenderxx

@dark_guyver: No way dude, I loved this issue too !

Maybe it is just me but I enjoy when writers take a new direction with characters. I see alot of people saying stuff like "This is not Wolverine" but thats the best part of comics, we have seen wolverine as a killer, then learn to control himself as a samuri , then become a leader and teacher. Now we get to see what is next for wolverine and I find that makes for a fun ride. Just my thoughts .

Avatar image for doctor_malekith
    Doctor_Malekith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for doctor_malekith
    Doctor_Malekith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hated this issue for all of the reasons stated in this article, but while I was reading it, all I could think about was how bad Stegman's art was. I don't know if it was the inking, or the coloring, or whatever, but this was a far cry from his Spider-Man work. Also, I hate it when artists make Wolverine look like a troll. I'm sorry for the rant, but this issue was VERY disappointing.

Tyrannotaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Picked this up because I wanted to try out a Wolverine solo book and Stegman's art is awesome. I'm a bit confused with some stuff going on here.

Firstly who are these mutants (I assume they are mutants) he is working with? Are they new characters or people left over from the previous volume? The one girl I guess powers people up by kissing them, odd power lol. I also must have missed a whole big thing with Sabretooth from last volume, but I can see that this "Offer" guy is the real villain here. I may just reread the issue because I was a bit lost on the goal of the mission. Was it to save that Hand guy? Seems like there was an ulterior motive.

Overall though, not a bad start for a series. I'm gonna get the next two and then decide from there if I wanna add it to my pull list or not. I feel like Wolverine losing his healing factor is a bit cliche though, so I hope this isn't a permanent thing. It's part of who he is and it's a bit lame when he doesn't have it. It's like Spidey without Spider-sense, kinda limits the character. I get it's done to "shake things up", but I like my Wolverine with his healing factor.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

beautiful art, although the story was a bit...meh

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I understand that Logan doesn't want to create stabs in his hands now that he can't heal, but I was expecting and hoping they were going to give him a katana after they made his new costume have the shingled armor look like a samurai. My favorite aspect of Logan other then his willingness to do what needs to be done is the fact that he is a failed samurai.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis: I'm guessing The Offer guy used his skills to make Wolverine do that you know what thing. Probably just told him the cover story, that he was an agent of Sabretooth's. Cornell's not really trying to make Logan a crazy homicidal a-hole (I don't think) because we saw him dissuade one of his teammates from killing that enemy soldier.

I'm willing to give it a few more issues.

nickxfrye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Exactly! I would have loved to have seen him holding a samurai sword. I mean they called the story arc Rogue Logan... they seriously didn't think of a Ronin?! A rogue samurai?! C'mon.

Overall, I just really didn't like this issue and didn't like the previous story arc either. I'm fine with shaking things up for a character (I've loved Superior Spider-Man) but Cornell doesn't seem to have a good enough handle on who Wolverine is to be able to effectively shake 'im up.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#83  Edited By Teerack
    @nickxfrye said:

@teerack: Exactly! I would have loved to have seen him holding a samurai sword. I mean they called the story arc Rogue Logan... they seriously didn't think of a Ronin?! A rogue samurai?! C'mon.

Overall, I just really didn't like this issue and didn't like the previous story arc either. I'm fine with shaking things up for a character (I've loved Superior Spider-Man) but Cornell doesn't seem to have a good enough handle on who Wolverine is to be able to effectively shake 'im up.

Yeah pretty much. I didn't want to start saying the book needs a new creative team so early on, but I think it would be the right choice at this point. As it is if they leave the book with this writer it's just going to ruin the whole no healing factor idea, and just end up getting reversed when it should and could be a great story.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.