Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16086 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

wolverine smoking

johnnie619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By johnnie619

now i was reading old comics few days back and seeing wolverine smoking and then looking at him now i cant remember the last time i have seen him smoke i mean i drinks but dosnt light one up anymore i know even old statues of  show him smoking. why dont we get to see him smoking anymore its not like he can die from it lol.  

Iron_Turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Iron_Turtle

Because Marvel provide wholesome, responsible and quality family entertainment. 

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By joshmightbe

Marvel put a ban on smoking cause they think kids are so dumb that if they see a character smoke the kid will star smoking yet at the same time they're fine with showing characters murdering eachother no problem, lesson horrifically murdering someone by ripping them apart is a ok as long  as they dont smoke while doing it

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I'm fine with it, I don't support smoking anyways, so I'm glad my favorite characters aren't doing it. :)

growup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By growup

As long as we all know wolverine still smokes, this doesn't bother me
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator

"It's not for every Marvel character," Quesada says. "It's, for the most part, any Marvel character that kids are going to identify with. So it's also depending on the book"

"So for example, if an artist wants to draw a guy on the street smoking, fine by all means. We just have a problem with Wolverine smoking. My grandfather died of a heart condition related to his smoking. My father just had a collaposed lung last year" 

"Sure, you could say I love making small children cry, I wouldn't punt them in the face otherwise, its calling winning you pissflake. Its also the reason I made OMD. Lmao, and yes i speak internet lingo in real life, TOGTFO, its just how Joe Q rolls, but yes, thats why I endorsed OME and BND, and why I killed so many of those Marvel fanboys favorite characters and why I hate Mary Jane. I wanted to blow snot into their cereal, now take that to the bank and smoke it, oh wait sorry, if you do, we won't make a comic about it, cause the smoking part you see"       

"It's just a matter of whether we want to promote cancer or not, and quite frankly, we're done promoting it" 

"Again, there are exceptions. I just went through this with somebody. Can Nick Fury smoke? Well, you know what, if Nick Fury shows up in the FANTASTIC FOUR, I'd rather not have him smoke. But if Fury's in a MAX title, which he is, sure, let him smoke away. I think our adult readers are a little more responsible and know whether they want to smoke or not" 

Above are all Joe Q quotes on the matter... keyword, all. 
    warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By warlock360

thats why he's an anti-hero :o

Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Yumulu

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for journey_into_chaos
    Journey Into Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no he isn't he just A GOOD actor.
    johnnie619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By johnnie619

i dont smoke but is something that made wolverine its like if cy stops wearing his glasses
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @SC said:
    "

"It's not for every Marvel character," Quesada says. "It's, for the most part, any Marvel character that kids are going to identify with. So it's also depending on the book"

"So for example, if an artist wants to draw a guy on the street smoking, fine by all means. We just have a problem with Wolverine smoking. My grandfather died of a heart condition related to his smoking. My father just had a collaposed lung last year" 

"Sure, you could say I love making small children cry, I wouldn't punt them in the face otherwise, its calling winning you pissflake. Its also the reason I made OMD. Lmao, and yes i speak internet lingo in real life, TOGTFO, its just how Joe Q rolls, but yes, thats why I endorsed OME and BND, and why I killed so many of those Marvel fanboys favorite characters and why I hate Mary Jane. I wanted to blow snot into their cereal, now take that to the bank and smoke it, oh wait sorry, if you do, we won't make a comic about it, cause the smoking part you see"       

"It's just a matter of whether we want to promote cancer or not, and quite frankly, we're done promoting it" 

"Again, there are exceptions. I just went through this with somebody. Can Nick Fury smoke? Well, you know what, if Nick Fury shows up in the FANTASTIC FOUR, I'd rather not have him smoke. But if Fury's in a MAX title, which he is, sure, let him smoke away. I think our adult readers are a little more responsible and know whether they want to smoke or not" 

Above are all Joe Q quotes on the matter... keyword, all.  "
    LMAO
    johnnie619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By johnnie619
    @SC said:
    "

ive said it before and ill say it again joe Q is a loser
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Howard the Duck 
    J. Jonah Jameson 
    Nick Fury 
    The Thing 
    Wolverine 

All of these characters used to go through cigars like tic tacs back in the day. 

3/4 smoker at this table
     3/4 smoker at this table

I want my damn stogies back!!!~
     I want my damn stogies back!!!~

Even Funky Flashman doesn't light up anymore 
     Even Funky Flashman doesn't light up anymore 
    brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By brc2000

Even though I hadn't really noticed, I still think this sort of censorship sucks.

johnnie619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By johnnie619

her he is smoking on a top.  
    oh and the statue im talking about is him smoking and the cig has a light in it and glows so it looks like its real anyone know what im talking about
    god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

I could care less if a character smokes, i dont support smoking but if its a character's schtick let them. Gambit used to smoke, now watching him chew on toothpicks all the time is kinda funny and im just waiting for him to kill someone with one.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#16  Edited By xerox_kitty

He nearly had a cigarette during the X-Force: Aint No Dog one-shot.  He said he's trying to give them up, even though it doesn't effect him because of his healing factor.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator
    @xerox-kitty:
    And in uncanny x-men volume 3 issue 4 he was thinking of taking up smoking when he was turned into a vampire.
    johnnie619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By johnnie619

@god_spawn
    said:

"I could care less if a character smokes, i dont support smoking but if its a character's schtick let them. Gambit used to smoke, now watching him chew on toothpicks all the time is kinda funny and im just waiting for him to kill someone with one. "

i dont support smoking but i dont get why they feel that its ok to show him killing,drinking, and have a this
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Mercy_
    @SC said:
    "

Wait what?  

I would have bet money on the bolded one being something from your creative mind. O_O
    tonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By tonis
    @The Dark Huntress said:
    " @SC said:
    "

Wait what?   I would have bet money on the bolded one being something from your creative mind. O_O "
    its through the creative minds we see things worth the find :) 
    characters don't make people smoke, people let character influence them if they choose to. 
    The effects things have on your programming are a result of how much you let them. If you can't see or read without it affecting your 'code', you shouldn't open a  book or screen till someone teaches you to think. 

Obviously there's a responsibility to provide this for certain ages, but once they past those years you're not doing them a favor pampering, they need to learn to think for themselves. ;)
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By Mercy_
    @tonis said:
    If you can't see or read without it affecting your 'code', you shouldn't open a  book or screen till someone teaches you to think.  Obviously there's a responsibility to provide this for certain ages, but once they past those years you're not doing them a favor pampering, they need to learn to think for themselves. ;) "
    QFT
    Avatar image for the_peter_cosmic
    The_Peter_Cosmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Peter_Cosmic

I would think, as a general rule, that they should be able to show him smoke in any book where he's actually putting those claws to good use. Hell, in X-force he used an acetylene torch to heat up his claws to immediately cauterize wounds so a guy he was torturing wouldn't bleed out too quickly. Seems like seeing him smoke while he did it would be the least harmful thing for a child to see.

logansgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By logansgirl
    @joshmightbe said:
    " Marvel put a ban on smoking cause they think kids are so dumb that if they see a character smoke the kid will star smoking yet at the same time they're fine with showing characters murdering eachother no problem, lesson horrifically murdering someone by ripping them apart is a ok as long  as they dont smoke while doing it "

I agree 100%. I did try cigars a couple of times because of Wolverine though. Just to see what they were like. I am an adult though. I never tried them as a kid. Unfortunately I did try cigarettes as a kid but not because of a comic. My best friend and I thought it would make us look grown up and sexi! 

We were so dumb at that age!
    I do miss Wolverine with his stogie though, it was just part of him. I don't see why they can depict him killing people and drinking but not having a smoke.
    CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CATPANEXE

No Caption Provided
    EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 52

#25  Edited By EganTheVile1

Funny you bring this up, he is the #1 character on my list of comic book smokers but I cant recall the last issue I have seen him smoke in either, I see him drinking alcohol all the time, but not smoking, think maybe the Disney influence is finally showing in small ways

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By Shadow_Thief

It's kind of silly when you really think about it. Wolverine smokes for the same reason that he jumps out of plane without a parachute: because IT WON'T KILL HIM.

johnnie619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By johnnie619

Avatar image for rosencrantz_guildenstern
    Rosencrantz&Guildenstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CATPANEXE said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    "
    That's just adorable! X-Babies: the best thing imported from the Mojoverse sice incredibly stupid mohawks that would put Captain Planet's green fuzz into shame!
    castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By castleking

i miss my Wolvie smoking,  it was part of his character. i can almost recall when fat Joe Q  ruined him.

to be fiar i started smoking and riding a bike b/c Logan did it but i was 18 at the time. I honestly cant recall the last time Logan smoked in a comic.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.