Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16247 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

'Wolverine' Movie News!

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Fox producer Lauren Shuler Donner discusses the upcoming film's progress

No Caption Provided

If you have been wondering lately about the future of the X-Men movie franchise, and are wondering whether or not fans will actually get a sequel to 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' then you are in store for some fantastic news!  Recently, Empire caught up with X-Men movie producer Lauren Shuler Donner to discuss the upcoming X-Men franchise movies, and she noted that 'Wolverine' is the furthest in production.

That's the furthest along of all the X-Men projects on the boil. It's actually the story we wanted to use for the first Wolverine film, but [Fox head honcho] Tom Rothman preferred to set the character up with an origin story first.

Donner also confirms that Fox wishes to bring the story of Logan and Mariko to the big screen, and that while the script draws from the story written by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller; staying true to the original tale may not necessarily be the primary concern of movie producers.

This movie will really focus on the relationship between Wolverine and Mariko, the daughter of a Japanese crime lord, and what happens to him in Japan. We're very fortunate to have a story mostly outlined for us [from the comic book arc co-written by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller]. And we wanted an A+ writer, so we want to Chris McQuarrie (Valkyrie, The Usual Suspects). He came in and has tightened the story and got really immersed in the whole thing - he's in Japan in his head!
    We want to make it authentic so I think it's very likely we'll be shooting in Japan. Also, by the way, we are looking to have the Japanese Fox executives involved in helping and counselling us, because it's a different culture and we don't want to portray the way they speak, dress and act in an inaccurate way. I think it's likely the characters will speak English rather than Japanese with subtitles.

While it may be exciting to Wolverine fans to know that Fox seems willing to invest a lot of money into the upcoming sequel, based on Donner's statements it may be hard to tell whether or not the film will simply be inspired by the Claremont/Miller story, or if it will be an accurate depiction of the tale. There is also the issue of continuity. How will film makers make the transition from Logan's lot love ( Silver Fox) moving the character overseas (japan) and introducing him to Mariko? Are you looking forward to the upcoming film?
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By EdwardWindsor

it best not be set in present japan using the same story or it will suck!

Venom-Hulker_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Venom-Hulker_1

was this the story that introduced Daken?

Avatar image for breaker_envoy_of_setron
    Breaker envoy of Setron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@lazystudent said:
    " it best not be set in present japan using the same story or it will suck! "
    Obviously it will. The story is set 15 years ago so Japan will be modern but I bet they will make it look traditional and samurai like. Like The last Samurai.
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By EdwardWindsor
    @Breaker envoy of Setron:  if its set 15 years ago it will suck , the best part about wolverine in his patch days was the culture and climate he was in , modern japan with samurii etc wont work it need to be rural and accurate changing sorce material for films normally doesnt work out well see the virst film fro proof of that lol
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Moomin123

I think this movie will be good. I;ve never read the Japanese Wolverine story so I'll find this interesting.
    killzbeef54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By killzbeef54

20th century fox has made the most craptastic movies the past couple of years. 

forget Wolverine. do an X-Men 4 and do it right
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Decept-O

Babs you said it best regarding some of the lesser quality comic book based movies:   

"staying true to the original tale may not necessarily be the primary concern of movie producers."   

Dipic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dipic

*sigh*

sandyp3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sandyp3000

sequel to 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine' then you are in store for some fantastic news!    
    GIMME A BREAK.

id rather it be done WELL than have it true to him. Make it a good movie or don't make it at all.

Toastalchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Toastalchemist

I really don't want to see another Wolverine movie. He had his movie and now they should be working on bringing in other characters, like Deadpool. 

Whazzat?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Whazzat?

gag. origins made me want to puke. please stop

Vindellavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By Vindellavon

No Itsu? That means no Daken? Which means I'm fully content.
    Suigetsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Suigetsu

deadpool once lived in japan when he was in he's late teens you know?

And he even became a sumo wrestler.

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Well in the DVD the first movie had an alternate ending with Logan in a bar in Japan drinking. How she got to a Japan from Long Island with no memories not answered.

I don't really see how you can make an accurate version of the story the way they have gone, but that doesn't mean it can't be entertaining. It almost seems callous to have Logan fall for another woman like Mariko after you build his tragic relationship with Silver Fox, but he has lost his memory.

Satyrquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Satyrquaze

So, we are getting Wolverine 5 despite that the last two were horrendous?  

There is no justice.
    Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Agent Buttons
    @Dipic said:
    "*sigh* "
    Nyogtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nyogtha

Oh get off your high horses and stop complaining, nothing has been said about the deviation from the story or who is going to be in it aside from two characters. I have good expectations for this, I'm going to wait it out for more info.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bruce Vain

Wolverine as a Samurai baby let's get this moving !! 

Bergquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By Bergquist

thay should let comic boook writers write the scrip for comic movies 
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By InnerVenom123

Oh my God, I SO care! Really! I'm not being sarcastic at all! X-men origins rocked! Barakapool was the best change made to a character ever! Screw the fact that this series is dead and rotting! I love it! *SARCASM* 

Seriously, God, just make the Deadpool movie and ignore the rest, it's dead. Deadpool is the only thing that can save the mutants on film (Highly ironic. lol)
    HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#21  Edited By HaloKing343

I think that these negative thoughts towards the recent Xmen movie are frankly a little excessive and inaccurate. The movie wasn't bad by any means. It was a fun adventure story and an origin story of a well known superhero. It was not good, but it was not bad either. 

This news is good news in my book. It sounds like a promising sequel.

Thor'sHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Thor'sHammer

The Claremont story is simple and straight to the point, so you know they will just trash it.  It can be a modern Yakuza tale with samurai elements, think Oren-Ishii in Kill Bill.  The yakuza boss should be the main plot, but you can throw Silver Samurai in there to appease the Fox execs who just want to pile on characters.  Sunfire can even make some kind of appearance if they just wanna stuff Happy Meals.  I can totally picture a chaotic Madripoor and yakuza, positioned in contrast to a quiet and introspective samurai Logan.  that way you get two Wolverines, Patch and samurai style.

Dipic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dipic
    @HaloKing343 said:
    "  I think that these negative thoughts towards the recent Xmen movie are frankly a little excessive and inaccurate. The movie wasn't bad by any means. It was a fun adventure story and an origin story of a well known superhero. It was not good, but it was not bad either.  This news is good news in my book. It sounds like a promising sequel. "
    The thing is, they're like the Star Wars prequels. Many hate them (or at least claim to), but even many of them will admit they are not terrible films. No, the reason they are constantly shat on so much is the fact that they had massive potential to which they for the most part failed to fulfill.

Again, X-Men Origins: Wolverine was not a terrible movie, but as you admitted yourself, it was not a good one either. Do you expect all those who love the franchise and the characters to be satisfied with a simply mediocre at best adaptation?

I mean, if you enjoyed it, that's great, but there is nothing wrong with fans expecting a half way decent movie about their favorite franchise/characters and you shouldn't be surprised to see them sour with disappointment when those expectations aren't met.
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Media_Master

Jackman must end up in samurai robes in the film somewhere.

reverseshazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By reverseshazam

I think the Origins Wolverine movie made Wolverine look weak.  I would have like to see him be a wild berserk rage hunting and killing in the woods after the experiment and Alpha Flight could have found him. 

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By Sparda

If they were going to do a Wolverine movie based on something, it would be off of this story.

KyojiArttz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KyojiArttz
    @Venom-Hulker_1:  No not really, Daken's mother is Itsu.
    Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Darkchild

Badass cant wait

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#29  Edited By jakob187

The terms "A+ writer" and "Valkyrie" in the same sentence does not compute. 

I think it'd be cool to see them do the Logan/Mariko story, but I already know how bad the movie will end up being too.

Avatar image for the_wind_stalker
    The Wind-Stalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By The Wind-Stalker

i can't wait to see this one it sounds good but any word on the Magento movie
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#31  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

As long as they don't give Silver Samurai a batch of mutant powers and have him controlled by a cpu...I may be okay. 

Oh, lets not forget working on the dialogue, pacing, editing, cgi, and mediocre action scenes as well ;)
    crazywolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By crazywolf
    @Venom-Hulker_1 said:

"was this the story that introduced Daken? "

@Babs said:

Donner also confirms that Fox wishes to bring the story of Logan and Mariko to the big screen, and that while the script draws from the story written by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller; staying true to the original tale may not necessarily be the primary concern of movie producers.

Daken was introduced in the Wolverine: Origins series which started in 2006. 

Claremont and Miller wrote Wolverine's very first 4 issue mini-series and a classic in 1982. 

Darkhawk77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Darkhawk77

I liked Origins, but they really screwed up the story.
    Breetai_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Breetai_00

I wonder what it'll take to get these guys in hollywood to take make a descent comic book flick again.  I mean my god X-Men Last stand was such an incredible pile of steamy turd all I needed from Origins was the trailer to know it sucked and wasn't worth seeing.  This won't be any better.

cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cracks

So Silver Samurai should appear. What new characters will appear?

Avatar image for heroic_warrior76
    heroic_warrior76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By heroic_warrior76

I sure hope the Silver Samurai will be there boy am I looking forward in seeing this Wolverine Villain's Movie Version.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    UnsolvedParadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By UnsolvedParadox

That's a really fast turnaround time, sounds like it could even be out by the end of 2010...

cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By cracks
    @UnsolvedParadox: That would be too soon. I want the movie to be good.
    Avatar image for ravaginghamster
    RavagingHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RavagingHamster

if they do it correctly then im excited about it. they should do what they are doing with DP, consulting the writers of the COMIC when writing the story

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.