Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16088 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Wolverine May Lose His Claws

• 91 results
    god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#51  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@westy206 said:

With out his healing factor wouldn't he be immensely tired all the time carrying around all the extra weight of his adamantine skeleton. I thought his healing factor increased his strength and stamina.

Wolverine has low level superhuman stats due to his mutation and is already highly conditioned. So no.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By westy206

@god_spawn: I always understood his low level superhuman stats being down to his healing factor. Muscles grow by healing and in sense his muscles can rip when being pushed and heal instantly causing inhanced strength.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@westy206: He's had many a statements that say he is born with enhanced stats like strength and stamina.

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By westy206

@god_spawn: well I know I've read about it being down to his healing factor a couple of times and I know it's not the most reliable source but Wikipedia agrees.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 god_spawn  Moderator

@westy206: My scans and actual comic books say otherwise. His healing factor helps repair and hold out on strains for longer, but just because he doesn't have his healing doesn't mean his stats are diminished.

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: but it would lower his strength and stamina for the reasons I've already stated. Fatigue poisons and torn muscles will now be a problem.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@westy206: Not really. You said he would be tired all of the time. That was a false statement, and that is shown in Cornell's and a few other series acknowledging the absence of his HF, yet he can still fight fine for an extended period of time. Bendis, Remender, and Aaron are a few writers just to name some. He still has the enhanced stamina and strength, since that is apart of his mutation, but now he can't push himself as long (which is where the fatigue comes from) and takes longer to recover since he just isn't healing.

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: ok tired all of the time was an over statement. The rest I think we'll just disagree, in my opinion it's the writers can't be arsed with the logic or technicalities down to it being a comic.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 god_spawn  Moderator

@westy206: This isn't exactly a technicality. We've seen characters like Batman and Daredevil go for days without much rest fighting crime and then they will show them tired. We've seen Wolverine get tired even with his HF until it starts to wither due to lack of nutrients and sleep. You realize in order to heal, damage must be done to begin with, correct? Since he has enhanced strength, he still has access to it. It's just he will wear down quicker or take more time to recover. I don't see it exactly as something to disagree on. It's just how it is.

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: like I said I think we see this differently.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#62  Edited By lykopis

Just...no.

No.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis said:

Just...no.

No.

Oh, Marvel hasn't even gotten started yet. First, he loses the healing factor, then he loses the iconic personality, then he loses all his skill, he then loses the claws, and next? He officially becomes "The Worst There Is."

Marvel will not stop until Wolverine fans have SUFFERED!

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#64  Edited By jwalser3

I can't take it anymore.

SOMEONE SAVE ME!

No Caption Provided

:(

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwalser3: I'm on my last limbs man, Marvel has just been laying one shoddy shot after another on Logan fans :(

*Sobs*

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@wolverine08: That's why I've been reading the good old stuff.

Vampire_Batman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it's a ploy to make all fans leave in disgust. Then Fox will let the license revert as there is no longer a fan base.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08:

I am working on my denial skills. If I don't see/read this happening, then it's NOT happening.

Yes. I think that oughta work just fine...

Avatar image for khan_noonien_singh
    Khan_Noonien_Singh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@westy206: How does a power of healing enhance strength? That literally makes no sense at all.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By DarkDay

@sog7dc said:

@wolverine08: look on the bright side. it could be Lobdell could be butchering your favorite character like he is mine

Or your favorite character could be dead...

No Caption Provided

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Wolverine008

@westy206: How does a power of healing enhance strength? That literally makes no sense at all.

His physicals are naturally enhanced due to the side effects of his mutation. The healing factor simply gives him superhuman stamina.

Khan_Noonien_Singh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khan_noonien_singh said:

His physicals are naturally enhanced due to the side effects of his mutation. The healing factor simply gives him superhuman stamina.

Oh, I know that. Which is why I question Westy206's logic.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis: We'll all need to improve our denying skills :D

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh...hrmmm...that's pretty interesting.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkday said:

@sog7dc said:

@wolverine08: look on the bright side. it could be Lobdell could be butchering your favorite character like he is mine

Or your favorite character could be dead...

No Caption Provided

k - this thread has officially put me on a downer.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkday: We all have it bad in someway :(

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The sadness of this is kind of increased when you're reminded that 2014 is Wolverine's 40th anniversary...

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By DarkDay

@wolverine08 said:

@darkday: We all have it bad in someway :(

True. I'm just saying...

It can always be worse.

And they played with my emotions because this

No Caption Provided

just as that happens. So yeah. Yay and "Oh God." at the same time.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Wolverine008
    DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Chibi_cute

@westy206:

He will probably get used to it eventually...

Avatar image for deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f
    deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I heard he was losing his healing factor I was hoping it was going to be a step towards making Wolverine more like he was back in the 80's and 90's. Much to my dismay, he's the same. I wish they would quit watering down this character and make him cool again. All these lame attempts to get people interested in him again are getting old.

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By westy206

@khan_noonien_singh: do you understand muscle growth? It literally is healing. After you workout, your body repairs or replaces damaged muscle fibers through a cellular process where it fuses muscle fibers together to form new muscle, wolverine heals so quickly this is happening when he lifts something that is extremely heavy, the fibres rip and heal almost instantaneously so he gains more muscle mass to lift with.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Ever since Logan lost his healing I've wanted him to lose his anamantium and go back to being bone clawed.

Khan_Noonien_Singh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@westy206 said:

@khan_noonien_singh: do you understand muscle growth? It literally is healing. After you workout, your body repairs or replaces damaged muscle fibers through a cellular process where it fuses muscle fibers together to form new muscle, wolverine heals so quickly this is happening when he lifts something that is extremely heavy, the fibres rip and heal almost instantaneously so he gains more muscle mass to lift with.

Your Google-fu is strong but I think this is an area where you are out of your depth. First we will address the fundamental flaw in your argument which is that Wolverine's healing factor does not, in any way, operate like a normal human response to trauma. Tissue that Wolverine's power fixes is 100% regenerated tissue. Damaged tissues are repaired to exactly as they were before. Tissue that cannot be repaired is replaced by exact copies. If anything, this would hinder Wolverine's ability to grow in strength, so the only solution is that he must have been already superhuman. It should be noted that he has maintained his impressive strength without the healing factor and even had this impressive strength from the moment his X-gene activated, as Rose noted when they were still young.

Secondly, if your theory was correct, Wolverine should be able to overpower upper-level bricks like Colossus and Hulk due to how often he wrestles with such characters. Ever notice how when Wolverine heals, he isn't more powerful than he was before? Ever notice how he doesn't increase in size during a fight? Ever notice how increase in strength due to rapid healing has never been stated in the comics? Your theory has too few supporting facts and waaaaay too many holes to be worth considering.

Thirdly, in humans, muscle fibers do not fuse together to increase size and strength. Satellite cells fuse together, then they fuse to the already existing muscle fibers as satellite cells differentiate into new myofibrils. This means that the muscle fibers grow in thickness, not fuse together. If anything, muscle fibers may actually split longitudinally once they reach a certain size, again, not fusing together. Further study need be done to even confirm that part but even if it is an accurate theory, almost all growth and strength gains are from an increase in existing cellular size. Muscle fibers are incapable of mitosis... and fusion. This means you have the exact same amount of muscle fibers you do now as you did as a child.

Fourthly, again in humans, muscle strength and conditioning depends on several factors beyond simple size.

• Temporal Summation
    • Length-Tension Relationship
    • Fatigue
    • Multiple Motor-Unit Summation
    • Size of Active Motor Units
    • Fascicle Arrangement
    • And yes, Muscle Size

A healing factor would only actively contribute to keeping fatigue at bay. Everything else it does simply maintains what Wolverine already has. It should also be noted that Wolverine himself has said working out is pointless, he does it as something to keep him busy. He stated this in Wolverine Vol 2, issue 112, The Light at the End of the Day.

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khan_noonien_singh: well I'm clearly not the only person who shares my point of view.

Wolverine's healing factor also affects a number of his physical attributes by increasing them to superhuman levels. His stamina is sufficiently heightened to the point he can exert himself for numerous hours, even after exposure to powerful tranquilizers. Wolverine's agility and reflexes are also enhanced to levels that are beyond the physical limits of the finest human athlete. Due to his healing factor's constant regenerative qualities, he can push his muscles beyond the limits of the human body without injury. This, coupled by the constant demand placed on his muscles by over one hundred pounds of adamantium, grants him some degree of superhuman strength. Since the presence of the adamantium negates the natural structural limits of his bones, he can lift or move weight that would otherwise damage a human skeleton. He has been depicted breaking steel chains, lifting several men above his head with one arm and throwing them through a wall, lifting Ursa Major (in grizzly bear form) over his head before tossing him across a room, and hauling a concert grand piano, which can weigh as much as 1,300 pounds, and the platform it rests on, via a harness, while climbing a sheer cliff.

But like I said before I'm happy to accept that we don't agree.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I think it's dumb for Wolverine to be without his claws. His claws are a big part of what originally made him a distinct and unique character.

Khan_Noonien_Singh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@westy206 said:

Well I'm clearly not the only person who shares my point of view.”

• It doesn't matter if you are alone in your theory or not. Saying that is relevant is a logical fallacy (argumentum ad populum) anyway.

"Wolverine's healing factor also affects a number of his physical attributes by increasing them to superhuman levels. His stamina is sufficiently heightened to the point he can exert himself for numerous hours, even after exposure to powerful tranquilizers."
    • I already admitted it is a contributor to his stamina. But that has nothing to do with strength.

"Wolverine's agility and reflexes are also enhanced to levels that are beyond the physical limits of the finest human athlete."
    • Agility and reflexes are not enhanced due to the healing factor. Again, you are listing things that do not matter.

"Due to his healing factor's constant regenerative qualities, he can push his muscles beyond the limits of the human body without injury."
    • The injury takes place. Healing factors do not prevent injury, it only fixes it. That still would not enhance his strength. The healing factor also doesn't override the nervous system. What you are describing is that his healing factor, something designed to regenerate injury, overrides the Golgi Tendon Reflex. That again, makes absolutely no sense at all.

"This, coupled by the constant demand placed on his muscles by over one hundred pounds of adamantium, grants him some degree of superhuman strength."
    • No, carrying around 100 pounds constantly would actually make him weaker. This is why he was able to run faster, jump farther, etc once he had his adamantium removed. A case could have been made that carrying around the 100 pounds of metal for decades conditioned him to be stronger but Wolverine himself stated that working out doesn't make him stronger.

"Since the presence of the adamantium negates the natural structural limits of his bones, he can lift or move weight that would otherwise damage a human skeleton."
    • Yes and no. His bones can handle the additional strain due to the adamantium but his tendons cannot. Tendons connect muscle to bone and as far as I know, his tendons are not coated with adamantium.

"He has been depicted breaking steel chains, lifting several men above his head with one arm and throwing them through a wall, lifting Ursa Major (in grizzly bear form) over his head before tossing him across a room, and hauling a concert grand piano, which can weigh as much as 1,300 pounds, and the platform it rests on, via a harness, while climbing a sheer cliff."
    • Which are great feats, but which have nothing to do with his healing factor.

"But like I said before I'm happy to accept that we don't agree."
    • If you want to choose that route, then that is completely fine. But I hope you understand that you are going to continue believing in something that you are unable to support with evidence and that has been completely refuted with not only evidence against your theory, but also with evidence to support an opposing theory, and you are doing this because your theory is more comfortable for you. I don't understand that kind of thinking. It's just burying your head in the sand...

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khan_noonien_singh: yes I am happy to leave it there because this is about a comic character and really there are no facts in a fictional world.

DarkDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By DarkDay

@lykopis: I'm sorry. I know how it is... and I shouldn't have been being snarky with Wolvie fans over changes that they completely and utterly have a right to be annoyed about, but yeah it totally can always be worse. But again, sorry for bringing down the room as it were. T_T

Khan_Noonien_Singh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@westy206 said:

@khan_noonien_singh: yes I am happy to leave it there because this is about a comic character and really there are no facts in a fictional world.

Even if that is true, there are still theories that are most likely correct and those that are not. Mine is the former. My previous conclusion also remains the same in that you are denying the most well-supported theory because you don't like it. It's willful ignorance and that just sucks.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkday:

Nah, you did nothing of the sort. The blame lies solely on the writers. :) But comfort is always welcome.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.