Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16078 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

What media adaptions or comic book stories got you into Wolverine?

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Poll What media adaptions or comic book stories got you into Wolverine? (30 votes)

Comics 33%
    Movies 20%
    Tv Shows 47%
    Other Media Adaptions.. 0%
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

• 
    jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jumpstart55

Wolverine was the first Superhero ive ever become enthralled with..My fondness for the character begin when i came across his 80s/90s era issues in my older brothers stash.And immediately become obsessed with his smart remarks, short stature and grumpy domineer and of course the retractable unbreakable claws!! And The X-men Animated series definitely helped solidify my love and interest with the character.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The X Men was my first non sci/fi Marvel Comic I got into when I was a teen (due to a cross over with the Micronauts). As most kids back in the day I thought Wolverine the be all end all of cool. Wanted to be like him and everything. Imagine my horror when I grew up and realized I was Cyclops?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5 JediXMan  Moderator

X-Men: TAS and Evolution.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The X Men was my first non sci/fi Marvel Comic I got into when I was a teen (due to a cross over with the Micronauts). As most kids back in the day I thought Wolverine the be all end all of cool. Wanted to be like him and everything. Imagine my horror when I grew up and realized I was Cyclops?

lmao.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Chris Claremont's X-Men run.

Prossor_Kobras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Mutant Agenda, a story arc of episodes from Spider-Man: The Animated Series.

Spider-Man is dealing with a mutation disease, and seeks help from none other than Charles Xavier, and his school for gifted mutants.

Xavier explains to him that they don't cure mutants, they help them adjust and learn to live with their powers, with Wolverine expressing his belief that having mutant powers is an integral part of who a person is.

Spider-Man storms off, with Beast trying to help him. Spider-Man doesn't listen, which unfortunately leads to Beast being kidnapped.

Wolverine believes Spider-Man had something to do with it, leading to several episodes of non-stop awesome, involving David Warner, The Hobgoblin, and the X-Men battling a Kaiju in Times Square.

That show was awesome. :D

Avatar image for ultra_supermanking
    Ultra_SupermanKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although I had heard of Wolverine before I never really paid much attention to him until I saw Hulk vs...Man that movie was ducking metal... Seeing Wolverine slash through people in a bloody blood fest was amazing.

No Caption Provided

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I first saw him in X-Men The Animated Series.

Avatar image for deactivated-61666ba441bd6
    deactivated-61666ba441bd6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I first got into Wolverine from the comics.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was first introduced to him through the 90s cartoon, but the movies is what got me unto him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

'Jackmans Wolverine in the first X-Men movie. Was the first time I had seen such brutality, gruffness and surprising nobility in a single character. Then of course there were the badass claws. I was completely mesmerized by the character, and he (and the X-Men movies) got me into reading the comics, and eventually Claremonts run...where I discovered that I didn't like Wolverine much at all and was more of a Cyclops guy.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

'Jackmans Wolverine in the first X-Men movie. Was the first time I had seen such brutality, gruffness and surprising nobility in a single character. Then of course there were the badass claws. I was completely mesmerized by the character, and he (and the X-Men movies) got me into reading the comics, and eventually Claremonts run...where I discovered that I didn't like Wolverine much at all and was more of a Cyclops guy.

What? Claremont's Wolverine was the best Wolverine. Claremont didn't even use Cyke in the majority of his run. Cyke was relegated to a supporting character in 1982 and was rarely used during the last 10 years of the run. Claremont mainly focused on women, like Storm, Kitty Pryde, Rogue, and Psylocke. Wolverine is the only male character he wrote that received a lot of character development.

Wolverine didn't go bad and Cyke didn't become "interesting" until the 2000s.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@invain said:
    @farkam said:

What? Claremont's Wolverine was the best Wolverine. Claremont didn't even use Cyke in the majority of his run. Cyke was relegated to a supporting character in 1982 and was rarely used during the last 10 years of the run. Claremont mainly focused on women, like Storm, Kitty Pryde, Rogue, and Psylocke. Wolverine is the only male character he wrote that received a lot of character development.

Wolverine didn't go bad and Cyke didn't become "interesting" until the 2000s.

None of that changes what I said.

DrMirakuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DrMirakuru

X-men Evolution Wolverine

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

Okay. Just think it is strange that reading Wolverine at his best and Cyclops as a boring character made you dislike Wolverine and like Cyclops.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@invain said:
    @farkam said:

Okay. Just think it is strange that reading Wolverine at his best and Cyclops as a boring character made you dislike Wolverine and like Cyclops.

I never found Cyclops boring.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:
    @invain said:

I never found Cyclops boring.

Originally Cyclops was a two-dimensional silver age character. His personality traits were almost none existent. This was to make it easier for the kids reading to insert themselves into his shoes. He was the guy that had the girl, and the three friends, but there wasn't much to him.

In the bronze age, we saw a renaissance in comics. Writers started adding a third dimension two all of the silver age character. O'Neal did it for Batman. Allen Moore and John Byrne did it for Superman. Gerry Conway did it for Spider-Man. Claremont did it for Cyclops.

Claremont did his best to add to Cyclops. He created the back story with his father joining the Space Jammers and was the first to develop the relationship of Scott and Jean. But he was still boring compared to the X-Men who were created in the bronze age.

• Wolverine was initially the least interesting character, but after John Byrne joined the creative team, Wolverine quickly became the most interesting. Byrne added a interesting back story with Alpha Flight, created Mariko, and made him the skilled master of martial arts that he became known for.
    • Nightcrawler was interesting because of his looks and his story of trying to fit into society while looking like a monster. He also had a interesting, playful, flirty personality and a back story with gypsies. There was also a his connection to Mystique, that unfortunately wasn't fully explored during Claremont's time.
    • Colossus was interesting because, unlike everyone else, he was a normal guy with a family, whom he loved. This made him stand out from the crowd. He also became interesting because of his relationships with his sister, and with his first love, Kitty Pride.
    • Storm was the team leader throughout the majority of Claremont's run, but she seemed more human than Cyclops. She would make mistakes. Before becoming team leader, in the 70s and early 80s, we saw her go through a character arc where she learned that the world wasn't as beautiful as she thought it was. This culminated in Storm getting her new look with the Mohawk.
    • Banshee was treated as something of a mentor to the team. He was a older guy, in his forties. He had a interesting back story and a connection to Black Tom. His relationships with Moira MacTaggert was also interesting.
    • Jean Grey became the Phoenix. The changes going on with her made her one of the most interesting character in the late 70s and early 80s.
    • Then we have Cyclops. Like I said, Claremont wrote him well, but there still wasn't very much to him compared to the rest. He lead the team and had a interesting girlfriend, but that's about it. We didn't even see the story with his father unfold until after Cyclops retired from the team, and only returned for a couple story-arcs.

That's how I saw Claremont's X-Men, anyway. Cyke didn't really start to shine until after Claremont left the book.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.