Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16086 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

This might be the craziest thing you read all day...

VZA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By VZA

... or it could be the most genius.  I'm not even sure how I feel about it myself as it was just a passing thought that I expanded on.  Any who, without further ado...
    We're all familiar with the similarities between the X-Men and the Civil Rights movement in America.  Professor X has a dream just like Martin Luther King and Magneto wants separation from or destruction of the other race a la Malcolm X.  Pretty cool stuff right?  If you look a little deeper at just Wolverine though you might find a few more similarities to the African American struggle.  Let's turn the page back to Wolverine's origin.

Wolverine's father worked basically as a slave for a very wealthy family.  Wolverine's father and brother lived on the quarters but not in the main house.  Wolverine himself who was "mixed" got to live with "massah."  He would be comparable to what many would consider a "house negro." While Sabretooth and dad had to work the fields.

Now if you turn the page to a more recent Wolverine we find a few more similarities.  To this day Sabretooth holds a grudge towards Wolverine possibly because of this preferential treatment from society.  Very similar to the way many darker skinned African Americans act towards African Americans with fairer skin.

Coincidence?  Likely... but perhaps there's more to the story than meets the eye.

GreenParrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By GreenParrot

Wolverine's biological father Thomas Logan worked for them as a groundskeeper. He was not a slave. John Howlett Jr believed Wolverine was his son. He was unaware his wife slept with Wolverine's biological father.

Tenno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Tenno

So what do we learn from this? that Black Panther is destined to fight his "Fairer skinned" brethren and is to forever hold a grudge against him.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By joshmightbe

Sabertooth is not his brother except in the movie

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PrinceIMC

And Sabretooth wasn't Dog Logan unless they've changed history.
    VZA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By VZA

Very good observations... I'm not implying that the story fits exactly or else it wouldn't be a story about Wolverine.  I could easily point out that Martin Luther King never had a mansion where he taught black people to overcome... that doesn't change the fact that the story borrowed heavily from what was going on during the time.

It's been a while since I've read the story but wasn't Wolverine's father battered and disrespected?  They made it seem like he was working for room and board which isn't that much different than what slaves were getting during those horrible times.  Weren't they tending the fields (or keeping the grounds) as well?
    Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Chaos Burn

i think you're stretching the situations in coincidents... I don't think working for other people in the fields means you're definetly a racial metaphor, neither does having a grudge against someone represent attitudes towards the lightness of skin...

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By joshmightbe
    @VZA: No his biological father was in love with the woman married to his boss that was the root of the resentment(that explains why wolvie loves them married girls its genetic) 
    Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sesquipedalophobe
    @joshmightbe:  It's psychological, actually. I don't believe his biological father played that much a part in his life.
    VZA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By VZA

I opened up acknowledging that my ideas may be out there but many literary critics have made the connection between the mutants of the X-Men representing many different minority groups including African Americans.  To go back to a time to where slavery still existed and tell a story where one of these minorities is working on a field seems a bit more than coincidental.

... and the grudge isn't necessarily about the skin color... the grudge is about the person's acceptance into society due to their skin color.  There's this feeling of "oh, you think you're better than me." If light skinned blacks were treated the same as dark skinned blacks then this grudge wouldn't exist.  Same goes for Wolverine... if he didn't receive preferential treatment then Dog wouldn't have a grudge against him.
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cattlebattle  Online

It's not just the "African American" struggle, no offense but people need to look beyond those bounds, all over the world people are treated differently because of race, religion, country of origin, or color.

I've always felt the X-Men draw from all over the spectrum. More than anything on McCarthyism, and racism.

Darker Black people really dislike Lighter Black people??  Why?

Avatar image for fortressofthemoon
    FortressoftheMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm trying not be rude but dude you need to pay attention when you read books or stop the Cassandra Cain illterate act cause its not cute. The people before me said the main obvious flaws in your ridiculous speculation.

As a minority myself who comes from a REAL CREOLE family who do treat their dark skin siblings unfairly, I do not see what the hell you are about. I dont see a comparison between Wolverine and I don't know.....Colin Powell.  

Wolverine *ahem* excuse me James wasn't mixed. He was a caucasion canadian just like the Logans who were caucasion canadians. John didnt believe in slavery and didnt mind paying people(no matter the color) to work. Canadians were known for being very work friendly towards runway slaves or hell just about anyone who came willing to work and make money. 

The situation that happened to Logan is something quite common with farmhands. That's just life that has nothing to do with slavery. It was all about Dog who got physcially abuse a lot by his dad which in time he develop psychological issues and he vents his frustration at animels or anyone who tries to be close. James was too young to know any better. Race nor even Status had nothing to do with this story.

If you paid attention to what year the story took place it was common for groundskeepers to live on their employers estate. John Hewlett jr treated all of his employees with respect no matter the background. Dog really didnt have that much of a struggle. He only had a hard life cause he was getting physically abuse by his father. If his father wasn't an abusive drunk and didnt tap the employer's wife who also was a drunk, Dog's life would have been so much different.

I think John Jr himself wasn't oppressing anyone. He put up with Dog's behaviour and I thought he was a little too fair by not pym-slapping Dog for the stuff he did.

There is no hidden message about the struggles of the black man in this story. You are just being retarded and making us minorities look bad.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By joshmightbe

Wolverine: origns makes more of a statement on class warfare than on racism

VZA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By VZA
    @FortressoftheMoon: Most of your argument is fair and I respect that.  However the last comment about making a whole race look bad is way out of line.  That is as stereotypical as the stereotypes you are attempting to prevent.  You're basically buying into the notion that stereotypes should be given some sort of validity.  If somebody is silly enough to believe in stereotypes then so be it... it's not the fault of the individuals within a demographic who act up... it's the fault of the ignorant racists who are looking to connect dots that shouldn't be.

You also missed the point I was making about Wolverine.  When I mentioned Wolverine being mixed... I did not mean that he was a combination of two races but that he was the product of a human and mutant relationship and since the story of the X-Men is one about a group of minorities trying to get along in a society who rejects them... it's not a far gone conclusion.  Actually, it is often mentioned within the story itself that the mutants belong to a separate race.  There's plenty of "mutant race" and "race of mutants" being thrown around on a regular basis.

@cattebattle I completely agree that the story is bigger than the African American struggle within America but at the same time there are often times when it draws lines directly from it.  This I felt was one of those instances.  To answer your question in a nut shell... I believe most of the animosity from darker blacks towards light skinned blacks stems from the way both are treated within society.  Like all things... some cases are justified while others aren't.  If you're sincerely interested in finding out more, I would recommend a speech by Malcolm X about the House Negro vs. the Field Negro.  Also, the movie Jungle Fever by Spike Lee addresses a lot of the conflicts people deal with based on their complexions.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By joshmightbe
    @VZA: Wolverine's mother wasn't a mutant nor was his biological father so he wasn't of any kind of mixed racial decent really
    FortressoftheMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok...I apologize about that last comment. But you didnt make yourself clear about the "mix" issue beside Jame's mutant power didnt even manifest yet so really there was no reason why that should have been an issue.

I know what you are saying about Field and house negroes but using Wolverine Origin is not it.  If you want to use an example of that research the origin story of the third White Tiger. Kevin "kasper" Cole. A light skinned cop who got nickname kasper cause he ws so light-skinned and his dad was nickname "Blackjack" casue he so dark like Forest Whitaker's lips.

If you redid this thread using Whiter Tiger's story as an example ok then you might have been on to something. This is like using

VZA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By VZA
    @FortressoftheMoon: That seems like a good read.  Where can I find story of the third White Tiger?  I'm of Creole descent as well so I can probably relate to the story.

I also want to point out that I too find my reading between the lines to be a bit of a stretch.  That's evident in the title of this topic.  The only time I'm jumping in to defend the ideas is when they are unclear.  I just want to make sure my points are clearly presented before somebody decides to judge whether or not they are right or wrong.
    FortressoftheMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His first appear in in Black panther #50 Vol 2. It was during Christopher's priest run. He is in only like 15 issues.

He is also in this 7 issue series called The Crew. You might find that interesting.

He's basically an americanized black panther but he's mixed and poor.. He's half black and half jewish and his girlfriend who is pregneant is Korean or Asian I think. They all live the same house and do not like each other.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.