Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16078 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Oh god the numbers!

Burnanate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Burnanate

OK it has been quite a while since I have been in the comic  book loop, and I recently decided to get back into it. Wolverine and Iron Man being my favorites I thought I'd start there. I picked up the Wolverine #1000 issue to get started with (also  The Invincible Iron Man 500.1, but this is the Wolverine forums so I will focus on that) I then found out that there isnt going to be a 1001 issue, that there is actually some other numbering system or that marvel has changed the numbering system. I also saw near it on the shelf Wolverine issues number 5, 5.1, and 6.  So what the heck is going on? Can anyone help me out with where I go from issue 1000, or.. something?

Avatar image for thegentlemanrogue
    thegentlemanrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By thegentlemanrogue

Wolverine 1000 is essentially just a Wolverine annual. The number is just a tongue and cheek joke, it's Marvel acknowledging they are aware Wolverine has a lot of appearances.

Burnanate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Burnanate

I see, Thanks.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty

The .1 issues are meant to be a gateway issue.  For someone who is new the character/team, they can pick up that issue and have a crash course introduction to bring them up to speed.  It's not a bad idea, but it's too cryptic so genuine new readers don't know what they're looking at.

Deadpool had issues 999 & 1,000.  It's a cheeky way to say that Marvel reached those numbers before DC did (as Batman, Wonder Woman & Superman have all celebrated landmark issues recently, but are all still a couple of hundred short of 1,000).  They're fun one-off issues, but aren't essential reading as they compromise of a few short new stories & a couple of reprinted stories.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.