Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16085 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Off My Mind: Is Old Man Logan Coming to the Regular Marvel Universe?

• 60 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Little by little, we're seeing announcements for new titles that will be in the "All-New, All-Different Marvel' line of comics. We know there's an INVINCIBLE IRON MAN series by Brian Michael Bendis and Dave Marquez, SPIDER-MAN (featuring Miles Morales from the Ultimate Universe) by Bendis and Sara Pichelli, as well as a DOCTOR STRANGE series by Jason Aaron and Chris Bachalo.

When the announcement came for 'All-New, All-Different Marvel' came, we saw a bunch of character designs for what we could expect post-Secret Wars. On of those included the older version of Wolverine from the Old Man Logan story arc. With Miles Morales making his way into the regular Marvel Universe, could it be possible that "Old Man Logan" is as well?

No Caption Provided

The idea of an older Wolverine from the future being in the present day continuity sounds pretty weird. Almost too weird for it to actually happen. But because his image was included, we have to assume either he's getting an ongoing set in his own timeline or, like Miles, he's going to somehow venture over into the present day continuity.

In the press release for Miles making his way over, it says the following:

A stranger in a strange land, Miles patrols the rooftops of a New York City that is very different from the one he knew...More importantly – how did Miles come to be here in the first place?!

With Secret Wars, we have several alternate versions of characters (from different story arcs and timelines) all on one world (Battleworld) with each reality in its own domain. In the OLD MAN LOGAN tie-in series, Logan has managed to venture out of his domain into another. Here, he runs into other versions of the X-Men even though he has absolutely no idea what's going on.

No Caption Provided

It's a bit of a shock to the others but these are the X-Men. They've seen stranger things.

No Caption Provided

If Logan does manage to come to the regular Marvel Universe, again, it wouldn't be something really weird for the present-day team. Cable, Bishop, and Rachel Grey are just some examples of characters that have come from a future timeline into the present. We also had the original X-Men in ALL-NEW X-MEN get pulled from the past into the present. That even resulted in two versions of all of the characters, except Jean. Would having a Wolverine from the future really be any different?

However Secret Wars ends, part of the conclusion could deal with the characters being returned to their own worlds or realities. Some characters, like Miles and Old Man Logan, may somehow get placed in the wrong place (the regular universe) for some reason. Logan has already discovered the existence of different versions of his teammates. Returning to the past wouldn't be too much of a shock, especially considering all the time travel the X-Men and their associates have done in what could possibly be his own past.

What are the advantages or possible story reasons for this?

By having Old Man Logan in the present day, the Death of Wolverine story still holds, in a way. Comic fans can handle the "death" of a character but when they immediately return from the dead, we just roll our eyes and groan. Having the present day Logan dead still allows the characters, like X-23, mourn him. We've know Laura will be wearing a yellow and blue costume similar to what he wore before his death. With Old Man Logan in the past (or possibly his own past), it allows him to further try to redeem himself or get over his role in the death of the X-Men. And how great will it be for a grumpy old Logan to try to deal with all the "young" characters running around?

No Caption Provided

Even as an "old man," Logan has shown he can still be the tough badass he was in his youth. It could be interesting to see how this would play out. It wouldn't have to be forever. We're all assuming "our" Wolverine will somehow return from the dead one day. If so, the events from Old Man Logan's past could still happen. Expect his being in the present could change things. It could also be possible that perhaps he would only be in the present for a certain amount of time (and issues) and then somehow return to his own time (like we saw Spider-Man 2099 sort of go back and forth in his recent series).

The immediate reaction could result in some outcry from diehard Wolverine fans. Seeing a radical change like this really shouldn't be too surprising at this point. We've seen many crazy changes happen in today's comics. It could be another interesting experiment on Marvel's part. It could be a chance to try something a little different instead of having the regular Wolverine stories we've seen time and time again.

Or maybe this isn't what's going to happen.

Let us know what you think in the comments and by taking our poll.

(Note: if you get a "session expired" notice, refresh the page).

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 the_stegman  Moderator

I'm willing to bet he'll be getting a series and coming to the ALL NEW!!!!!! Marvel Universe.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#2  Edited By Teerack

I like Old Man Logan but a huge part of the charm is the setting of the character so I don't really want him in the main universe. Plus a huge part of the appeal of the original story was that it felt like Logan was at the end of his story where he didn't have anything left and just wanted to right some wrongs before his time was up. If they put him into the main universe he'll end up around for a super long time and just turn into any other endless comic character.

For a story to mean anything it needs to end.

-Loki

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I dislike that the votes have a time limit because if you don't get to vote, you don't get to see what option was/is winning. (+)

Avatar image for ironspiderchan45
    Ironspiderchan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Ironspiderchan45

I think Old Man Logan in the All New Marvel Universe would be cool

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather see Old Man Logan ongoing in his own time period.

This I suppose not because I hate the idea or anything just would like the comics to be without Logan for a while longer. Didn't feel that long before we're seeing this.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

lol All NEW OLD Man Logan.

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It may not be the Logan some of us wanted, I welcomed to the idea of putting Old Man Logan in 616.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

@yung_ancient_one: it says right above the poll, if you get "session expired," refresh the page. Then you can vote.

Tony_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am calling it now and saying that he will also be in the MCU.

Doctor Strange getting his own series is Marv trying to put him more on the map before his movie. "A more grounded Stephen Strange" makes sense to appeal to bith audiences.

With all the time travel, Bryan Singer's X Men ending with the upcoming X-Men: Apocalypse, AND Hugh Jackman retiring as Wolverine, it could be possible that is Marvel's own way of familiarizing us with Old Man Longan. A new take on Wolverine that will soon cross to the MCU.

LoganX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i was hoping that Brian Michael Bendis & Quesada Leave the Marvel Universe after Secret Wars . but dang , no such luck ...,

Old Man Logan is not Old he's new, its a new Marvel Way to extort Original Characters , There was already a Wolverine From the Future happening in current timeline , he was disguised in a hood & encountered the thing from FantasticFour .

The Concept of Old Man logan is lame. Wolverine with Grey hair ? thats like the Hulk taking Steroid Pills , wtf is that about but thats Bendis for ya.

if Anything Wolverine would have Adamantium quill like hair hair , smooth but Adamantium Sturdy . would cut your fingers if you try to pull it .

They Ravamping & extorting Characters left & right , its not the Characters that are the problems , its these So called " Writers " like Bendis , who isnt creative but just an extortionist , i say its time Marvel Fans gets a New Editor in Chief ... a writer who's actually had history with Marvel books & only marvel books for a long long time .

& please no Quesada ,, with his Azreal in The Dc Universe Concepts ,, we all know how that turned out . .

....Till Then ,

Make Mine Marvel when the real writers come back .

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453
    deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: But wouldn't it be interesting to see that character, a man at the end of his rope with nothing left to lose and nothing left to gain be thrust into a situation where everything he lost has been given back to him and now he has to fight to keep it and decide whether he actually deserves it after everything hes done?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark Millar's Old Man Logan is nothing but shameless drivel, devoid of any real narrative or characterization. There's a shred of originality in the setting, but even that is mostly derivative. If you take it away, then the only thing left is an older, grumpier Logan. I just don't see what new or interesting stories can be gleaned from bringing him to the 616.

"And how great will it be for a grumpy old Logan to try to deal with all the "young" characters running around?"

Not great at all, considering that's exactly what we've seen from 616 Logan since his inception(he was already very old).

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I dooooo love that photoshop GmAn!

~MiB

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#14  Edited By Teerack
    @mangakid1995 said:

@teerack: But wouldn't it be interesting to see that character, a man at the end of his rope with nothing left to lose and nothing left to gain be thrust into a situation where everything he lost has been given back to him and now he has to fight to keep it and decide whether he actually deserves it after everything hes done?

Nope. Haha. Maybe you think that sounds interesting but I don't. For me it's like taking the blues and Frankensteining it together with pop. I can really understand why people would want that because you are meant to root for Logan, but what makes stories like Old Man Logan so great is that they can't really win beyond a small personal victory. In every sense Old Man Logan was a true old school western story where the heroes aren't really heroes and there is no happily ever after just justice.

For me it's saying "Wouldn't it be cool if Max from Mad Max went to an alternate earth where there was never nuclear fall out?" doesn't that just sound horrible?

>.<

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Old Man Logan, much like Spider-Gwen, needs to be an ongoing set in its own universe with its own continuity. I honestly think that's what Marvel will do; dabble with the multiverse more by setting more on-goings outside of the main universe.

MachoMustachio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh I don't really care either way because Wolverine is going to be everywhere regardless

totoroshaped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm excited to see what they're planning with him.

Jaymes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tony_shark: I dont' really hold with the idea that things are constantly being done for the sole reason of increasing cohesion with the movies, but it would be funny if this were part of a plot to secure Jackman in the role as he ages.

Incidentally, I'd prefer the look of the Wolverine from "The End" if we're going to have one of his future selves. I used to confuse those two series constantly. But the hair's great. He looked like Sephiroth with 40 extra pounds of muscle and 80 extra years of gristle.

Tony_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chayse: He did look hilarious.

And I do find some cohesion betweem comi marketing and the movies. Inhumans and the incresed usage of Thanos, The Guardians of the Galaxy adopting new looks to match the MCU, new focus on Ant Man (Scott Lang), focus on Strange and Black Panther, etc.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Not everything needs to be in the same world. The reason characters like Old Man Logan and Spider-Gwen are interesting is because they have a whole world to mold around them, stripping all that away just makes the characters generic.

SkullKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Id appreciate it if our Logan came back. It was sad to see him go in the first place.

battlewingus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By battlewingus

people are quick to rip on Marvel for 'running out of ideas' and then even quicker to go ballistic when Marvel makes any kind of change. regular Wolvie will come back at some point, let's enjoy a new status quo and the stories that come with it for a while.

EDIT: i am wondering how this is going to be different enough to be worthwhile. regular Logan has already experienced pretty much everything except killing all his friends at once. i dont know how the old version of him would be different from the young considering he has given up pacifism, which was the running theme that defined him as a 'different' character through the original Old Man Logan.

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's way obvious that's he's gonna be in the present marvel u.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been enjoying OML so far, but i still think 616 logan needs to make a return.

I'd also prefer to see an on going series but in his own time period, thats what makes it interesting and new.

Avatar image for 51stpresidentofplanetneutral
    51stPresidentofPlanetNeutral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Even if it wasn't obvious that he's going to be in the mainstream MU, I'd still be on board for it. To see Old Man Logan taking up an unwanted-mentor role for Laura (unwanted in the sense that he's not comfortable with it, and she is hesitant about having him around) would be pretty damn entertaining. Plus, wouldn't having him in his own separate world be sort of defeating the purpose of the whole Incursion thing? Or can we expect the many lands of Battleworld to splinter off and become their own realities?

Or is this whole thing just the hallucinations of the Illuminati and Doctor Doom on a bad acid trip? That I would pay to see. It's something I'd be more interested in seeing than Miles in the mainstream MU at least. Having him as one Spider among many just sort of defeats the purpose of his whole "taking up the mantle" thing, what with having to be around the de facto Spider-Man (Peter), his "chosen one" clone (Kaine), the girl who could have easily been in that situation (Cindy Moon), the one from the future (Miguel, who may or may not be put back in 2099), and quite possibly, alternate universe fridge stuffing who broke the fridge (Spider-Gwen). Considering his inferiority complex when it comes to JUST Peter, this won't be easy for him.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By IDontLikeBirds

I say let him stay a while in the main MU. It'll be interesting to see his reaction upon meeting all these people he once knew that were dead (some he killed), alive again and in their prime. He'll be someone who has already peaked, kind of reliving his memories. That's got to really mess with him quite a bit, and I can see him possibly being more aggressive in an attempt to stop things from turning out how they did in his timeline. So yeah, there is still quite a bit they can do with the character.

Madripoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I the only one who thinks that this version of Doc Strange looks a bit like Petyr Baelish ?

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

please bring back the regular 616 logan

sbyrstall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

See, I knew they couldn't keep him dead. Rule #2 in comics. A popular character always come back from the dead.

sasquatch888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sbyrstall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd really rather have an Old Man Logan ongoing in his own universe. The setting was a large part of what made that story so interesting to me.

Jaymes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tony_shark: Oh, they definitely capitalise on it. I wouldn't deny that. But that's just a bit of synergy, and it doesn't tend to get in the way of good stories. Sometimes it even helps. Like . . . Can we just sit back and take a moment to marvel at the fact that we're finally getting new books for Ant-Man and Doctor Strange? Even Loki gets one. These were among my early favourites when I first started reading comics at the turn of the millennium despite their relative scarcity in the universe at the time, but now they're being moved into the spotlight in large part because of the movies. Loving it.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what this really means?

Hugh Jackman is Wolverine until the day he dies. (Unless we can figure out cloning in the meantime.)

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

This new marvel universe intrigues me & yet is making me want to stay away at the same time...

If the universe ends up the way it seems it will so far, I'll only stick to a selected number of titles.

Change is nice, but sometimes there is just too much change :/

I like my classic & iconic characters, not people who change all the time.

UltimatePower6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36  Edited By UltimatePower6

I just want all the titles to come out at once, not once every week. It's killing me

RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just pleased as can be they aren't leaving that character alone any more. But one thing that defined that book, was the world he lived in. All the crazy imagery of villains ruling certain parts of land.

Bat_SAINT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want a marvel legend old man Logan NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want regular Wolverine to return from the dead

Saint_Talker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An Old Man Logan series set in his current time period irks me. Only because it is bound to crossover with the regular Marvel U, just as the Ultimate Universe did with the 616 Universe.

Janjaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Janjaman

I don`t understand how this could be Emma Frost as in the Age of Apocalypse she was lobotomized and "humanized".

NixNightbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All this past/present talk is wrong. Old Man Logan isn't from the future of the 616. He's from the future in an alternate universe, and since the multiverse was destroyed, chunks of his Earth were slapped on Battleworld.

There is no "time travel" here. His Earth was way ahead of 616 Earth in terms of time, but they were both running parallel to each other. That's all.

Ambaryerno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ambaryerno

@tony_shark said:

With all the time travel, Bryan Singer's X Men ending with the upcoming X-Men: Apocalypse, AND Hugh Jackman retiring as Wolverine, it could be possible that is Marvel's own way of familiarizing us with Old Man Longan. A new take on Wolverine that will soon cross to the MCU.

Not happening.

1) Apocalypse is only the ending of the "First Class Trilogy." It's NOT the end of the FOX-Men series. Gambit, and WolverThree are all following Apocalypse, with Deadpool preceding it, and all are confirmed to be set in the same 'verse. New Mutants (presumably set in the "New Future" timeline) has been confirmed, Fox has been working out a deal on a live-action series -- popular rumor is based on X-Factor -- and rumblings of an X-Force film continue.

2) If Disney/Marvel so much as TRIES to sneak Logan (or ANY X-character, excluding Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch who are specifically-named exceptions in the licensing, for that matter) in any form into the MCU Fox will beat them senseless with a lawsuit.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#44  Edited By StMichalofWilson

I'm excited to see what they're planning with him.

Tony_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ambaryerno: They could borrow him. They did the same with Spider-Man.

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
    Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

I like Old Man Logan but a huge part of the charm is the setting of the character so I don't really want him in the main universe. Plus a huge part of the appeal of the original story was that it felt like Logan was at the end of his story where he didn't have anything left and just wanted to right some wrongs before his time was up. If they put him into the main universe he'll end up around for a super long time and just turn into any other endless comic character.

For a story to mean anything it needs to end.

-Loki

I agree about the allure bit.

I'd like to see Wolverine return. If Old Man Logan remains in regular continuity (why is he so gosh darn old after 50 years anyway, healing factor and all ... ???) it seems to preclude all chances of 616 Logan returning.

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No other then miles they should all go back into there own universe "boxes". I well not be happy if having miles move into the 616 moves peter out.

Ambaryerno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Ambaryerno

@tony_shark said:

@ambaryerno: They could borrow him. They did the same with Spider-Man.

Not gonna happen.

The only reason Marvel can use Spider-Man is because Marvel and Sony specifically worked out a deal that allows them to. Sony is handling the solo films, with Disney/Marvel handling direction of the character and incorporating everything into the MCU.

The probability of Fox making a similar deal is virtually ZIP. Not only is Fox's relationship with Disney/Marvel much more antagonistic, but Fox has no financial incentive for it. By contrast, Sony both decided ASM2 was too big of a failure, AND they're in much tougher financial straits due to losses in their other divisions. Fox doesn't have either problem; Days of Future Past exceeded expectations, and they're financially much sounder.

Apocalypse would have to be a financial disaster on the level of Cleopatra or Heaven's Gate for Fox to make that sort of deal.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man said:

@yung_ancient_one: it says right above the poll, if you get "session expired," refresh the page. Then you can vote.

I apologize for not noticing that before. Thank you for sharing this. This is partially the reason why I call the Vine my home out of all other comicbook websites. (+)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.