Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16088 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Do you agree that Hollywood ruined Wolverine?

• 62 results
    Lanzslyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Lanzslyde

I'm not sure if this has been discussed here already. The thing is, Wolverine is supposed to be a short, rugged, hairy and angry superhero, much like the animal he was based upon. He was never meant to be an extremely handsome superhero (just for the record, he's not ugly, just fierce-looking and slightly beastly). That's what made him unique and popular in the first place. Now, ever since Hollywood got a hold of him, they turned him into this tall, handsome, generic model-type superhero, who looks like he uses a beard trimmer, and even some comics followed suit, with how some of the artists portrayed him. It's almost like these people are trying to tame a wild, fierce and extremely cool character. I think they should let the man be what he is, an ill-tempered, spiky-haired wolverine. Not some tall, slightly hairy, underwear model. Thoughts?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

..I know where you are coming from with this, but no, its only made him more popular.

Look, if they did Wolverine properly in the movies it would have to be an "18" due to the violence, it would be like Kill Bill. Marvel shrewdly know they have to appeal to a broad spectrum of ages, no more than a "12A" so have dumbed him down a little!

Lanzslyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lanzslyde

I agree. And I enjoyed the X-men movies. Jackman is a good actor. But his look and portrayal somehow doesn't fit, but it's the writers/director's fault. I'm just talking more about how Hollywood changed the way he's supposed to look. Nowadays, it seems like Wolverine's getting cleaner, taller and more handsome.

Doombert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I dont like Hugh as Wolverine. I think he's a great actor. I love a ton of his stuff...but I remember a quote from Wolverine a while ago, calling himself "short, hairy and unloved". That's what I want to see displayed on the screen. I want to see him more as an asshole with a very very small nice side (the way I think he should be). I want to see it violent. I want to see his ability to fight. I don't want to see him lead a team, or even really want to be a part of one. I want to walk out of a movie with him questioning if I even like the character...but knowing he's a badass.

Lanzslyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lanzslyde

Here's a bit from an IGN review of the Marvel Anime Wolverine which I came across a few minutes ago. Marvel Anime, who apparently had the same idea of making Wolverine into a slender, hairless "bub". I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so about ol' Wolvie.

"Oh but there's so much more to hate here. The character design isn't bad overall, except for the lead character. Wolverine is long, lean, and virtually hairless. Instead of the short, stocky, hirsute guy that truly fits the moniker of "wolverine" - a small hairy beast that will rip your throat out if you even give it a dirty look. Everything here is wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong."

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I feels you bro.....I really like Hugh Jackman as an actor actually but I hated him as Wolverine not because he was bad but because of the character portrayal. The only 2 characters I did not like Jackman as are Wolverine and Van Helsing.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Ho, ho, ho, no. Wolverine has been propelled by Hugh Jackman to the heights of characters like Batman and Superman in the public consciousness. He has become synonymous with the X-Men and will have a lasting impact on how the character is portrayed for years in all media.

Yes he's too pretty and too tall but that doesn't matter. His portrayal is definitive for a generation of fans.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#8  Edited By AssertingValor

I thought he was portrayed well, but he is less violent in the films

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By HumanRocket

No. It has made him more popular and I feel that Hugh Jackman was born to play the part. The last Wolverine movie was so well done and was his best performance of Wolverine that it made me even more excited for X-Men DOFP.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine still looks ugly in the books

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
    Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Guardiandevil83

The look so much isnt bad to me anymore. I can deal, because I doubt they would find a capable actor who looks exactly like Logan. Dude is suppose to be hairy, swole, and about three inches taller then Peter Dinklege. That would be a strech and they would probably have to do what they did to John L, of Spawn.

What pisses me off is the grammer. Logan is suppose to sound like a backwoods, roughneck. Same problem I have with Cornnels Wolverine. If your a grammer Nazi you should not write Wolverine.

If there is no "Aint" or "Darlin" then it just aint dang on right. lol

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Wolverine008

@fodigg said:

Ho, ho, ho, no. Wolverine has been propelled by Hugh Jackman to the heights of characters like Batman and Superman in the public consciousness. He has become synonymous with the X-Men and will have a lasting impact on how the character is portrayed for years in all media.

Yes he's too pretty and too tall but that doesn't matter. His portrayal is definitive for a generation of fans.

This, Hugh Jackman has done nothing wrong to Wolverine. If anything, he's opened him up to a new generation of fans.

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes hollywood has ruined wolverine. ok i like the xmen movies and i loved the wolverine and i love jackman. but wolverine should not be the pivotal character in the xmen. wolverine should be the angry weapon that wants to do good but isnt afraid to kill. hollywood also made the nice guy wolverine popular so now wolverine sucks in the comics

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#14  Edited By AssertingValor

Wolverine if anything is one character they didn't ruin

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 the_stegman  Moderator

I like Hugh Wolverine

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

All they did was make him a foot taller. All the runt jokes would have been great but it's not that big of a deal. Hugh's Logan, Stewart's Prof. X and McKellen's Mag were the only good thing about the X-Men movies.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I like the movie version of Wolverine.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Deranged Midget

Hugh's Wolverine is pretty spot on, except for the height of course. My only problem with the portrayal is that he's pretty rigid in combat.

Vampire_Batman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Vampire_Batman

He needs to be a barely checked, raging animal with barely a human soul, just unquenchable fury and bloodlust. An adamantium tornado that leaves the scenery drenched in pools of blood and piles of severed limbs. He needs to curse and smoke and drink heavily.

Look at the hunched drooling creature from XMen children of the atom game.

Lanzslyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. Less sensitive, more reckless, and overall, just not how he was written for the movies, just to make big bucks. He's always been popular anyway, the way his look and personality was portrayed before. His comic is still running, he's always in Marvel's video games, toys, etc. Hollywood just wanted to earn more unnecessary money off of him so they made him like that in the movies. It's like a rock and roll band who are earning decent money, but chose to sell-out anyway, compromising artistic integrity for more cash.

But, in this society, what can we do? It's all about business and money, sadly. Hopefully, since the X-men movies made Wolverine even more popular, his new fans would go back to his roots and check out the classic Wolverine comics, that would be great. I'm sure Wolvie and his pal Spidey would agree.

No Caption Provided

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kgb725

Yes because height is what killed his portrayal lol

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kidchipotle

@fodigg said:

This, Hugh Jackman has done nothing wrong to Wolverine. I anything, he's opened him up to a new generation of fans.

This and that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
    deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like movie Wolverine better. Yep, I just said it. Comic Wolverines dialogue gets pretty annoying to tell you the truth.

wrlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

This, Hugh Jackman has done nothing wrong to Wolverine. I anything, he's opened him up to a new generation of fans.

This and that.

If that generation doesn't know the real Wolverine, then the character has been destroyed.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Wolverine was pretty intense. Not as intense as comics but still.

odinblast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gor724 said:

I like movie Wolverine better. Yep, I just said it. Comic Wolverines dialogue gets pretty annoying to tell you the truth.

A lot of this, and a little bit of the OP. I think Hugh does Wolverine just about perfectly. Too tall? Maybe, but everyone has to remember that some things don't translate onto the screen the way they are portrayed in the comics. I do think a Wolverine movie should be more violent.

amonahanart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, they just put there own version out there, the same as everyone else has in the comics.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

no.

coalrabbits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By coalrabbits

After watching X-men Days of Future Past I do think Hollywood and Hugh Jackman have ruined Wolverine in their movies. He used to be an anti-hero, dirty, scruffy, rough and tough and now he looks and acts more like a Hollywood celebrity than the real Wolverine. In the first few movies I felt he was closer to the character but now he runs around in designer jeans with his hair perfectly styled and has lost his edge. Even his attitude has changed. The latest movie he was about the nicest guy in the world (with a tiny attitude) and that's just not the Wolverine I know and love. I swear I have seen photos of Hugh Jackman wearing the exact same clothes as his Wolverine out in his real life. Makes me want a reboot with a more gritty Wolverine. Like he is in the comics I used to read.

Jota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel ruined Wolverine. The last ten years have been appaling for the character! Headmaster of a school, avenger, are you kiding me?!

The movies are the only places where we can find something with even a passing resemblance to Wolverine, are the movies.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the comics itself ruin Wolverine. They try to make Wolverine friends with everybody, they try to do Wolverine Origins comic (under Joe Quesada editorial decision), even Wolverine comicbook written by Cornell is mediocre

Typhion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Typhion

They did nothing but elevate the character's status. TBH, Jackman's wolverine is nearly iconic. That's not a bad thing.

D3athstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes

Howlett8503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. Hollywood, or Fox, if you wanna get specific ruined the character. No, Marvel didn't ruin him by butchering his appearance and personality like Fox has. Fox just can't seem to do a successful reboot of the x-men universe by not recasting hackman... he's still gonna be linked to those awful first xmen movies... and Origins.. ugh!

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean it's mixed. X1,X2 were ok to decent but X3 and Origins? Blegh. The Wolverine was.....eh. Not bad but not good and his DOFP role was cool. So I guess he's 3-3 in general.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And to add I think The Wolverine 3 or Logan will hopefully do him justice out of decades of films. I truly do. But I think they need to retire him for awhile.

Jota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. Hollywood, or Fox, if you wanna get specific ruined the character. No, Marvel didn't ruin him by butchering his appearance and personality like Fox has. Fox just can't seem to do a successful reboot of the x-men universe by not recasting hackman... he's still gonna be linked to those awful first xmen movies... and Origins.. ugh!

Sure, it was Fox who came up with lame image that's on top of this page. It was Fox who revealed his past, came up with pre-historic mutant werewolves, made him an avenger and a school headmaster.

Give me a break!

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I don't think so. Hollywood is the reason he became so popular in the early 2000s. People obsess over his height too much. It's not a big deal.

AdamHimWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok, here's why I agree Holywood ruined the character:

As a short stocky guy, Wolverine was "the hero". He hadn't needed to be tall and generically handsome to be one of the most popular heroes. So it was easier to identify with the hero and somewhat proved that the superhero is not about looks

Jackman did a great job, and the movies were enjoyable (most of them), but Wolverine wasn't the same guy. He was now another hero, the generic type. And it might not mean much of a deal for the average guy, but it's kind of ... let's sum up the feeling ... disheartening. The new generations will identify him now with Jackman, they short kids, will hardly identify with him

Jota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Logan is one of the best superhero movies ever done, while Marvel hasn't produced a good Wolverine story in more than a decade and they destroyed everything that was cool and entertaining about him with terrible story after terrible story.

Hollywood is the only thing keeping the character afloat.

LordWhiskers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only manlets would complain about a tall Wolverine.

TinyFord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No on the contrary they made a character that can easily be seperated from the comic version as to not make him too overpowered for characters in the films

Super_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no, because in Old Man Logan he was bad ASF.

Howlett8503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jota23: "Logan is one of the best super hero movies ever done" lmao... you must be smoking some good stuff man, where do you get it?

Logan was not bad, but it was just still more of hugh hackman's stick-up-his-butt rigid choreography.. x-23 saved the movie. I don't know what your blind, questionable love for Jackman is..

Black Panther from civil war was a perfect rendition of how wolverine is supposed to get down in a fight. Agile, quick, acrobatic martial arts moves and tactifully executed slashes. Not blind, moronic, rigid slashing Jackman always portrays. I swear if you slapped a wolverine costume on the panther you would wet your pants lol.

Howlett8503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Howlett8503

@lordwhiskers: I dare you say that to one of the special forces guys I work with, he's only 5'6 and I guarantee he would mop the floor with you lol

Anyway, wolverine is the short guy's super hero. It's one of the character traits that makes him special and different than your typical tall generic hero. Think of Jet Li or Jackie chan. Not tall, but cleans house where ever they go.

GrImuS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By GrImuS

I love Jackman as an actor but I do not like him as Wolverine. Every single Looper/Rotten Tomatoes/UNILAD post about the next possible Wolverine movie has a ton of dummies saying "Hugh is the perfect Wolverine no one can ever replace him."

Can't stand it

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf
    deactivated-5b59f8ae5ebaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

when you bump an old thread to reply to someone a long time ago lmao

Jota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@howlett8503: Yes, Logan is one of the best superhero movies ever done. It's well directed, superbly acted, and it has a great story.

I know you'd trade all that for a midget in the main part, but most people would disagree.

Also f*** Black Panther! If someone slapped a Wolverine costume on him, I'd slap them. Overrated Bataman wannabe... If you want to talk about something stiff, try that guy's acting.

Howlett8503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Howlett8503

@jota23: well I'm done beating the dead (you) horse, you are clearly delusional. Do you write Jackman love letters with your picture too? lol

You are not a Wolverine fan, just a troll with an agenda. The fact that you can't stand a "midget" playing the role proves you don't understand the character.

Btw I've seen all the Threads you hover around, only watching and waiting to trash anything remotely x-men/wolverine related.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.