Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16062 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Big plot hole in the Old Man Logan series: Wolvie vs X-Men.

Degalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Degalon

It says Mysterio tricked Wolverine into killing all the other X-Men.

Putting aside that Logan would probably figure it out by smelling the X-Men as he was fighting them, we hit the big wall: Half the X-Men would wipe the floor with Logan. Much like the Superior Spider-Man flooring him a while back reminded everyone...Wolverine is NOT a powerhouse. He's just a clawed guy who can take a beating. He's popular, and very deadly in close combat. But I remember back before his uberpopularity, his main role was getting his butt kicked because he was the hothead who rushed in first.

Like in the 90s cartoon, when he tried to take on Iceman...iceman just froze him in a block of ice, and he was helpless. He's VERY prone to mind control and psychics, which the X-Men are full of, and a lot of them are energy projectors, who would just blast Wolverine across the lawn. And all the various other mutants who are just flat out IMMUNE to being cut to death (Rockslide, dust, etc, etc)

I didn't actually read the issue, but it didn't sound like he snuck around killing them one by one. And if it was a big battle royale, Logan only even stands a chance against a few of the X-Men, at best.

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By LoganRogue24

Rogue could take Logan out easy right.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By InnerVenom123

Logan himself said Mysterio modified his trick so that smelling the difference wasn't possible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

I haven't read Old Man Logan in a while so I may have forgotten something but it's possible that he took all of them by surprise when they let their guard down.

Bolzar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bolzar

To point out it was obvious PIS, to know that it is an alternate universe story so it doesn't matter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is just one of many examples of catering to fanboys of a character, but that will not keep someone from using scans as if they are proof Logan is a team killer

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

Since this took place in an alternate universe, I wasn't that shocked about the fact that Wolverine took down all of the X-Men. He even managed to kill THE HULK in this story!!! In the mainstream universe, however, he would have been beaten by:

Rogue - she can just suck out his powers

Iceman - he can just freeze him.

Any telepath - they can mind control him (look at what Emma Frost did to Wolverine in Astonishing X-Men)

Shadowcat - she can just phase through him

Colossus - he could just hit him across the room

Cyclops - he could just blast him with his optic blasts

The list just goes on and on....

Avatar image for the_peter_cosmic
    The_Peter_Cosmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Peter_Cosmic

It said plainly that they were all surprised, confused, and holding back.

FiguredOut95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By FiguredOut95

@Bolzar said:

To point out it was obvious PIS, to know that it is an alternate universe story so it doesn't matter.

I agree with this, although I agree that Wolverine could not take on all the X-Men I am willing to look over it for the sace of the story telling at hand, so just kick back and enjoy the book.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By RisingBean

The part in that fight that got me was that Jubilee seemed to be his toughest matchup.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@bolzar said:

this.

If it was 616,many of them would wipe the floor with him as said.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By cameron83

However,people like Colossus and Cyclops I can actually believe.But powerful telepaths,Iceman,Kitty Pride,etc etc would murder him.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Yung ANcient One

Logan himself said Mysterio modified his trick so that smelling the difference wasn't possible.

I haven't read Old Man Logan in a while so I may have forgotten something but it's possible that he took all of them by surprise when they let their guard down.

These TWO

( + )

Destinyhero20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He probably kill all the ones who could take him out first and Mysterio probably use something that block his senses

The X Men just didn't see it coming and didn't want to really hurt Wolverine (so they hold back)

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

the book stated that the Xmen were holding back but I get your point....and Wolverine can take out quite a few Xmen 1v1 IMO. any telepath, Rogue, Iceman and Rockslide which you mentioned, but I believe he could take Cyclops, Colossus and other characters that can't get into his head or could not be affected by the fearsome claws of logan.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The X Men just didn't see it coming and didn't want to really hurt Wolverine (so they hold back)

The idea that they held back is what bugs me about all this: WHY?! Why on EARTH would they hold back against LOGAN? He can heal from just about anything. If they were up against just about ANY other hero, holdingback would be justified, but Logan? They could pretty much do whatever they wanted and he'd survive. Sure, he'd be a bit grumpy, but HE'S TRYING TO KILL THEM.

So why hold back? Not like they could do much lasting damage to him.

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonsmith: sometimes logic isnt a factor. if he comes out a bum rushes them, takes out 2 or 3 in the first wave, shock will set in. sure theyre trained heroes but if he were able to take out Shadowcat, and a couple others then the team would definitely be in WTF mode. how many times has he been brain washed by some bad guy or organization? i'll bet that most of the team jus figured it was his time of the month(to get brain washed, not the other time of the month) and probably underestimated how hard he would be coming at them

Avatar image for deactivated-6155f5fcc6972
    deactivated-6155f5fcc6972

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, they aren't weaker than their 616 counterparts, it's just that Wolverine had to kill them for the story to progress. It happens all the time in alternate universe stories.

Also he managed to kill the Hulk because Banner's healing factor too was slower due to age.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed476aa4e89a
    deactivated-5ed476aa4e89a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe they were trying to reason with him, but he's too fast and deadly and ended up being too much for them, but what I don't get is the villians managed to kill the heroes but what about Ghost Rider, couldn't he do the penance stare on all of them.

Creedzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is this a question? Wolverine could blitz the entire X-Men team in close quarters combat, the fact that he caught them off guard is guaranteed death. He has been mistaken as a teleporter while up close, moving faster than the eye can follow, killing foes before they even realize they're dead.

Love_Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Which Comic was it in?

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@degalon said:

It says Mysterio tricked Wolverine into killing all the other X-Men.

Putting aside that Logan would probably figure it out by smelling the X-Men as he was fighting them, we hit the big wall: Half the X-Men would wipe the floor with Logan. Much like the Superior Spider-Man flooring him a while back reminded everyone...Wolverine is NOT a powerhouse. He's just a clawed guy who can take a beating. He's popular, and very deadly in close combat. But I remember back before his uberpopularity, his main role was getting his butt kicked because he was the hothead who rushed in first.

Like in the 90s cartoon, when he tried to take on Iceman...iceman just froze him in a block of ice, and he was helpless. He's VERY prone to mind control and psychics, which the X-Men are full of, and a lot of them are energy projectors, who would just blast Wolverine across the lawn. And all the various other mutants who are just flat out IMMUNE to being cut to death (Rockslide, dust, etc, etc)

I didn't actually read the issue, but it didn't sound like he snuck around killing them one by one. And if it was a big battle royale, Logan only even stands a chance against a few of the X-Men, at best.

• Logan specifically said that Mysterio made them look, feel, and smell different.
    • He took them off guard. They were all standing in a small room and all of a sudden he went berserker mode and started stabbing everyone in the heart.
    • Mysterio said the only reason he won that fight is because they were his friends and they were holding back, trying to reason with him.
    • Also, when he said he killed every X-Man, I'm pretty sure he only meant who was on the roster at that time.
    No Caption Provided

Some are far fetched, but most are entirely reasonable kills.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, a poster above had a great point. The X-Men were probably expecting just some brainless Wolverine who was being mind-controlled, but instead they got a full on Wolverine fighting like a real motherf*cker. Logan himself said that he was "thinking of what would happen to the kids (X-Men) if he lost" during the entire fight. You don't want to get between Wolverine and the young X-Men.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if you can't get behind Wolverine taking down the entire team, you should definitely read the story. It is the second best Wolverine story I've ever read.

Jota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonez_ said:

Even if you can't get behind Wolverine taking down the entire team, you should definitely read the story. It is the second best Wolverine story I've ever read.

So you only read 2 stories?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.