Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16062 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Analyzing the Death of Wolverine

• 103 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Wolverine’s been dying for some time. At least that’s how it seemed. When it was first announced in 2013 that Wolverine would be losing his healing factor, we all knew that meant he was more susceptible to dying. He was now Killable. It took some time but his death has finally come.

There has likely been some debate over whether or not his death was a fitting one in DEATH OF WOLVERINE #4. Because we’ve waited so long, there was bound to be certain expectations. We all knew the death was coming, we just didn’t know how it would happen. After reading the issue, I was a little unsure how I felt about it. Giving it some thought, I’m okay with it. I think it works and is fitting for who Logan is.

There will be spoilers for DEATH OF WOLVERINE #4 so be sure to read the issue now.

No Caption Provided

Throughout this miniseries, Logan quickly discovered someone put out a bounty for him. He figured now that he didn’t have his healing factor, an enemy wanted him dead. It turned out to be a different story. He was actually wanted alive and the reason why was revealed in this final issue.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Wolverine’s final confrontation was, in a way, with his creator. Doctor Abraham Cornelius. Cornelius believed he could make the world a better place.

In trying to atone for creating a “killer,” he had been experimenting on people in the hopes of creating the perfect soldiers or super-heroes, conditioned to do as ordered. He had obtained plenty of Adamantium but simply needed Wolverine’s healing factor since the bonding process of adding Adamantium was “invasive.”

Cornelius mentioned he tried to duplicate the healing factor but it was flawed. Logan revealed he no longer his healing factor and, thus, was no longer needed. As Cornelius attempted to flee, he started the bonding process on three individuals he had in his lab.

Logan, ever the hero, slashed at the container of Adamantium as it was about to be injected in the test subjects and was rewarded with liquid Adamantium covering his body. Wolverine made his way out and died, watching the sunset, having saved the lives of three innocent people.

No Caption Provided

Most of us expected Wolverine to go out in a blaze of glory. We assumed he’d take on insane odds against a horde of villains and save the entire world. Logan didn’t need all of that. He knew what he was doing and what would happen in trying to save just three innocent lives. That’s what made him a hero, and not the cold-hearted killer Cornelius pegged him as. Having him die in a big spectacular and bloody death against an army of deadly enemies would have been a cool sight, but you have to admit it'd be a little cliché.

But is he really dead?

No Caption Provided

We all know in comic books, death isn’t forever. While there has been news of a weekly WOLVERINES title dealing with other clawed characters from Logan’s life, it doesn’t appear Logan will be returning in the immediate future.

Looking at the scene in the lab several times, it seems like there could be an eventual way out. Cornelius had some vials of the healing factor he tried to create. We see Wolverine reach for some but it appears it was so he could use it on the patients.

What if he used the single vial shown on a tray on himself? The healing factor might not have been perfect but what if it could work for a longer period on him because deep down there could still be some trace of his healing factor buried in his DNA. He may be stuck in statue form in an Adamantium prison but what if the formula could sustain him and maybe the Adamantium is in a porous state that would allow him to breath. Maybe his healing factor could prevent him from starving to death, etc. All that would remain is for someone to figure out how to extract the Adamantium encasing Logan.

Wolverine's dead. We'll see what the LOGAN LEGACY has in store for those in his lives. Marvel might do the unexpected and keep Logan dead for some time. But we have to believe he'll be back eventually. For now, we can celebrate the life he lead as a hero, bub.

worldFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

If he is not dead, for at least a year or two I think this arc was a waste of time. I mean common, no one stays dead anymore. Its differant when DC brought back the Flash or Jason Todd because they were dead for almost 15-20 years. I am sick of them bringing back characters after only a year of them being dead.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By StarBrand1

Logan is my second favorite hero ever. But honestly he deserves a long break.

dotwilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dotwilson

nice write up Tony.. i agree with what you're saying. It wasn't what anyone was expecting and i credit Soule and Marvel for surprising the readers and giving Logan a fitting send off.

KingStandup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the best of all time. RIP Wolverine.

...although I'm sure he'll be back eventually, bub.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way he died was so boring.

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Hey, nothing wrong with taking a break, right? Give shorty 3-5yrs off, revamp the x-men to something worth reading again, and let the good times roll!

Because while he may be deceased, he will be around in some form or another until he gets to make comeback

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#7  Edited By The Impersonator

Rest in peace, bub. You'll be back soon.

nfareed71024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

legend

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

Interesting, also thanks for the spoiler article so soon (no seriously!) I wanted to know what happened but haven't been picking up this series

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@worldflash: Nah, Marvel want to keep him dead for at least 2016, and besides Marvel characters do die...

Jean Grey has been dead for 8 years now...

Supi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Supi

He will be back in about a year...But even like that his titles can go on with stories from his past..

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with @dondave, it might have been an honorable death in that he died saving a few people, but there was no drama to it. Wolverine is the most popular X-Man, there should have been some cool flashbacks or images of Death coming to take him. Instead he just slashes the tube open and dies. He let Cornelius live which means he'll probably be brought back to revive Wolverine since he revealed he discovered the process of how to liquify adamantium after it had already set. I would also like to note that even though Logan injected those people with the healing factor, that doesn't necessarily mean he saved their lives. Cornelius could heal himself from the wound and secure the prisoners again for further torture. Though..I think the upcoming Weapon X mini is probably about these three characters so, we'll see what happens.

Anyway, point is, the death should have been so much bigger. Logan might like to pretend he likes things simple, but I believe he truly liked the cheese factor of superheroing and deserved the dramatic ending to an extent.

Arinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Arinya

@arturocalakayvee: Woah woah woah woah! No drama? Well, the bad thing about comic books is you cannot control the pacing. You have to take a minute to digest the art as you read. When Wolverine reaches the roof top were a mortally wounded Cornelius confronts Wolverine. He yells out what have you ever done. Then we get a nice montage of Wolverine's past. Key points in his long long history. Along with some peaceful scenery. Now I must say that McNiven has created some beautiful double page pieces for this series but I felt this spread could of been more exciting. But if you take a minutes to mediate on the spread you get the draam.

Wolverine then DOES kils Cornelius. You can clearly see that Cornelius is dead! And if it did not show Wolverine killing him Cornelius definitely dies on that roof top.

Wolverine dies enshrined! A warrior encased in the strongest metal known! Not as a violent animal but in a hero! Bah! Where is your heart man? =P

webheadcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally agree with @arinya. It might not have been a epic fight that ended in wolverine getting killed but that doesn't mean his death wasn't dramatic. I felt it was very dramatic with how simple the themes were and how wolverines life was a build up to proving to Cornelius that he was wrong. Wolverine is a killer but he is also a hero at heart when it really comes down to it.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Let's see how long it takes him this time

Avatar image for ocareyinfluence
    ocareyinfluence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is my 100% conspiracy theory made up entirely by me with nothing but speculation to back me up:

Disney can't do much about not having the movie rites to some of the marvel properties, but they can limit the exposure of those corners of the MU. Killing the biggest name XMan and not allowing him to appear in the comics and other merchandise can weaken the franchise. They can push their properties and tighten the reigns on others until Fox/Sony is willing to sell the movie rites back.

As for the actual death of Wolverine:

However long he is dead this is fitting death for him even if he isn't actually dead. It isn't cliche and fits the character at his core. He was originally a loner and went out a hero but still all alone and not in a blaze of glory. His worst enemy has always been his personal demons and for a man that can't die to be trapped in an adamantium tomb alone w/ his toughts is worse than death. The irony is that Wolverine would want to die in that state but couldn't. Killing him worse than anything else.

It reminds me of of Barry Allen's death in the original Crisis, he died a hero but all alone. The fastest man alive died an incredibly slow painful death and nobody even knew about. Heroes aren't in it for the glory and it can't always happen in a spectacular fashion.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

It was a great ending for Logan.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CaptainHoopla

@worldflash: I completely agree. If they are going to kill off a character, I think they should be dead and completely off the books for at least 5 years real world time. The impact of deaths has completely diminished at this point.

Hedorah10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never heard Wolverine dying, or a arc for it. Kinda low key for a well known character I think. Maybe everyone knows he will be back real soon, or everyone was tired of the 5 or 6 comcs he stared in for the past decade?

Wonder how long before he comes back.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By lagozzino

@ocareyinfluence said:

Here is my 100% conspiracy theory made up entirely by me with nothing but speculation to back me up:

Disney can't do much about not having the movie rites to some of the marvel properties, but they can limit the exposure of those corners of the MU. Killing the biggest name XMan and not allowing him to appear in the comics and other merchandise can weaken the franchise. They can push their properties and tighten the reigns on others until Fox/Sony is willing to sell the movie rites back.

I keep seeing theories like this, and they all hinge on the idea that the comics matter to to Disney and Fox/Sony/whatever outside studio owns some Marvel film rights. The reality is... well they don't. Not really.

"Death Of Wolverine" #1 may have been the highest selling comic of September, and over 250,000 copies sold at a $5 cover price may mean that it brought in a couple million dollars, but that's still not even 1% of the money made by the last Wolverine movie. And those relatively high sales figures are definitely not the norm. "Wolverine & The X-Men" sold less than 30,000 copies. "Savage Wolverine" sold less than 20,000 copies. To be blunt, the number of people who are actually paying attention to/purchasing Wolverine comics is insignificant compared to the number of people that go watch Wolverine movies. Every single person who buys Wolverine comics could boycott the next movie, and it wouldn't effect the boxoffice gross in any kind of noticeable way.

Killing Wolverine won't weaken the film franchise. 99% of the people watching those Wolverine/X-Men movies won't even know that he's dead in the comics unless they read it as a bit of trivia in an article. And the lack of new Wolverine stories to draw from won't hinder the script for any future movies because the writers still have thousands of old stories they can adapt (and if we're really being honest, most comic "adaptions" cherrypick one or two details and just make up everything else anyway).

If Marvel is really killing Wolverine and cancelling Fantastic Four and making other such choices just to spite the movie studios that own the film rights to those characters, then it would be a ridiculously misguided business move that would achieve absolutely nothing besides annoying the few people still paying for comics. And I kinda wanna believe the current people in charge of Marvel Comics are smart enough to realize that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dba458f4f4e8
    deactivated-5dba458f4f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should bring Jimmy Hudson wolverine son to the main marvel universe

Fallingcliffs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Fallingcliffs

Ehh, not a bad arch but very anticlimactic ending. I don't see Wolverine staying 'dead' very long. All they have to do is heat up the adamantium casing. It's comics and we've seen adamantium broken or melted/modified before.

As far as this effecting Wolverine movies or Xmen, probably not but then they have their own continuity, plothole issues of their own so. I really don't think it matters if this will effect the movies or not.

UltorOscariot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By UltorOscariot

I wonder which group gets a new Adamantium statue? Even Wolverine's remains are worth fighting over given the supposed value/rarity they assign the metal in Marvel 616. It would be somewhat entertaining if Cyclops' contingent winds up with a new garden statue for a year or two.

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ocareyinfluence said:

I keep seeing theories like this, and they all hinge on the idea that the comics matter to to Disney and Fox/Sony/whatever outside studio owns some Marvel film rights. The reality is... well they don't. Not really.

"Death Of Wolverine" #1 may have been the highest selling comic of September, and over 250,000 copies sold at a $5 cover price may mean that it brought in a couple million dollars, but that's still not even 1% of the money made by the last Wolverine movie. And those relatively high sales figures are definitely not the norm. "Wolverine & The X-Men" sold less than 30,000 copies. "Savage Wolverine" sold less than 20,000 copies. To be blunt, the number of people who are actually paying attention to/purchasing Wolverine comics is insignificant compared to the number of people that go watch Wolverine movies. Every single person who buys Wolverine comics could boycott the next movie, and it wouldn't effect the boxoffice gross in any kind of noticeable way.

Killing Wolverine won't weaken the film franchise. 99% of the people watching those Wolverine/X-Men movies won't even know that he's dead in the comics unless they read it as a bit of trivia in an article. And the lack of new Wolverine stories to draw from won't hinder the script for any future movies because the writers still have thousands of old stories they can adapt (and if we're really being honest, most comic "adaptions" cherrypick one or two details and just make up everything else anyway).

If Marvel is really killing Wolverine and cancelling Fantastic Four and making other such choices just to spite the movie studios that own the film rights to those characters, then it would be a ridiculously misguided business move that would achieve absolutely nothing besides annoying the few people still paying for comics. And I kinda wanna believe the current people in charge of Marvel Comics are smart enough to realize that.

You are definitely right. This profit stuff only works in favor of marvel. If a fox movie fan likes the characters enough, he may start reading comics helping marvel boost their sales. But if a person is reading comics, than there is a 99% chance that he is already watching the movies. So if marvel cancels these books, comic fans will watch the movies three to four times to get their dose of their favorite heroes, boosting the total gross of the movie and keeping the comic rights away from marvel.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I really loved Logan's last words.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I need to buy this when the trade comes out

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#27 god_spawn  Moderator

I never heard Wolverine dying, or a arc for it. Kinda low key for a well known character I think. Maybe everyone knows he will be back real soon, or everyone was tired of the 5 or 6 comcs he stared in for the past decade?

Wonder how long before he comes back.

Logan's death was being hyped back in March. It's been going on for awhile, actually.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Logan is my second favorite hero ever. But honestly he deserves a long break.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
    Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with @dondave, it might have been an honorable death in that he died saving a few people, but there was no drama to it. Wolverine is the most popular X-Man, there should have been some cool flashbacks or images of Death coming to take him. Instead he just slashes the tube open and dies. He let Cornelius live which means he'll probably be brought back to revive Wolverine since he revealed he discovered the process of how to liquify adamantium after it had already set. I would also like to note that even though Logan injected those people with the healing factor, that doesn't necessarily mean he saved their lives. Cornelius could heal himself from the wound and secure the prisoners again for further torture. Though..I think the upcoming Weapon X mini is probably about these three characters so, we'll see what happens.

Anyway, point is, the death should have been so much bigger. Logan might like to pretend he likes things simple, but I believe he truly liked the cheese factor of superheroing and deserved the dramatic ending to an extent.

Kills Cornelius. Don't know which book you read.

worldFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By worldFlash

@awesomeperson: Yeah, she's dead if you don't count her past self that's in the future. However, Wolverine is one of Marvel's S level heroes. That is he has multiple books. I doubt they will keep him dead for more then a year or two.

Jota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, that was anticlimatic and boring. 20 bucks! Jesus!

Logan needs to stay dead until there's big overhaul in both editors and creators, in Marvel. Since Greg Rucka left his solo, in 2004 (!), the writing for the character has been pityfull!

He should have been killed then! It would have avoided so much crap...

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perfect.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@worldflash: No one count Teen Jean as the real Jean Grey, heck, I could find you threads that say we want the 616 Jean back or send the O5 back...

Anyway, no I checked out a couple of websites, Marvel seem really serious that they want the want to keep Wolvie dead for a couple of years...

Avatar image for ocareyinfluence
    ocareyinfluence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abdullahzubair:

I was honestly just joking about the consipiracy theory. I know that the comics don't affect the movie stuff. I actually get irritated when they make the comics match the movies. The worst case was when they brough back Normon Osborn in the comics because he was in the first SpiderMan movie. But he dies at the end of the movie, in the same way he did originally in the comics, so it made the whole thing pointless.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By christianrapper

@awesomeperson said:

@worldflash: No one count Teen Jean as the real Jean Grey, heck, I could find you threads that say we want the 616 Jean back or send the O5 back...

Anyway, no I checked out a couple of websites, Marvel seem really serious that they want the want to keep Wolvie dead for a couple of years...

they said the same about spidey. they aren't going to tell everyone he will be back soon.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Stay dead

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

I can't wait for him to comeback!!! Lol

He'll be back in a year or something...Marvel can't leave one of their most popular characters dead for to long...

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So wolverine is dead but still getting a weekly ala batman hmmmm.

So the FF are done for a while with marvel/disney and wolverine is "dead" can anyone say movie rights.

PliskinFemto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Wolverine is my favorite character but yeah, he needed a break. His last big adventure was in Wolverine Origins, after that he reached a point of character development tough to extend. Arron's "Hell" run was pretty good but after that it didn't surprise me they started planning his end.

They should keep him dead for at least 5 years. Let the feeling that he's really gone sink in (like with Jean Grey).

WHEN he comes back, I hope they make him the badass cigar smoking kind of character he was in the 80's. I'd also like him to return with no adamantium, to add that element of vulnerability again.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I loved that panel

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christianrapper: People WANTED Spidey back...

Can't say the same for Wolvie though...

worldFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeperson: Yeah, but thats not to long in comics. I mean I remember when they would kill a character and they wouldn't be seen for 10 years. If they did that with Wolverine I would be happy.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By AwesomePerson

@worldflash: They will do that if we don't but any comics promoting Logan, Marvel will take the hint and keep him dead...

LoganX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was a stupid ending how the hell is Corny--ee-lus is still alive after the incident of everyone getting slaughtered in the original Wolverine Series . Plus his daughter crying for like over 200 issues about her fathers death & wolverine having the only existing Adamantium specimen her pops created . Oh but wait , this story arc was written by someone from the DC universe who was writing corny WonderWomen Books .

I do agree to a point wolverine needed a break from Gremlin DC writers in the Marvel Universe .

& then i was like how the hell is sabertooth running around ? Didnt he get decapitated by a soul sword ? & now he's an Avenger .?

But back to a Adamantium coated Statue of Logan , cause DC writers had nothing better to do after a botched Death of Batman by a Laser beam from the eyes of a Thanos-like dude that wasnt really a death beam but a time Traveling beam? ... that was super corny . but ya get where the corny pattern is coming from .

Who knows hopefully a great writer would come along, { hopefully not from the DC universe of Reboot Ebola Virus ) & have wolverines bones absorb all that Adamantium & walk away to pick up a 6 pack of Beer & a Cuban cigar .& a new Australian Outback Jungle Hat

Jota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By christianrapper

@awesomeperson said:

@christianrapper: People WANTED Spidey back...

Can't say the same for Wolvie though...

he is one of the most popular heroes in marvel. people want him back.

Lukeinashland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So disappointed in the death of Wolverine story line...all the build up and so anti-climactic. Wolverine should have gone out fighting against impossible odds in a battle to the death for high stakes. Had a similar feeling with Age of Ultron mini-series...honestly, I think Marvel is more focused on their movies lately than their comics. Uncanny X-men hasn't been good for years.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jota23: Woah dude, chill... I didn't say that I hated Wolvie did I, no... I said others hate him and will not want him back...

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AwesomePerson

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.