Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16083 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

An interesting observation about Wolverine.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By jrock85

Its no secret that Wolverine has absolutely no compunction about killing. It often seems to be his only solution to every problem. He proposed killing the Scarlet Witch after her mental breakdown and even suggested that he and the Avengers kill Wiccan just because he may be as powerful as she was. More recently, he  praised Fantomex for "saving the world" by murdering the child Apocalypse. Here's the kicker: He refuses to kill his gleefully evil son Daken (whose body count continues to rise), nor will he allow anyone else to kill him. He quickly shot down the idea of killing Jubilee after she had been turned into a vampire. This is quite a head scratcher for me. I guess what I'm trying to say is that all of this makes Wolverine look very unscrupulous and hypocritical. Does anyone else notice these contradictions other than me?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SC  Moderator

I think thats a part of his appeal. Well, it always has to me, Wolverine tried gutting Rachel when she tried to kill Selene, who Wolverine knew indulged in evil countless acts and she's probably his own daughter! So yeah, he tends to be a do as I say, but not as I do type character. I am sure he justifies it all in his mind, lots of people in real life do this to justify inconsistencies with the thoughts they hold, and maybe there is some solid reasoning behind his thinking. Still, I see Wolverine as a flawed character in that sense. A short angry hypocrite who can be loyal and wise sometimes, but angry and shortsighted other times. His brand morality and ethics I don't condone either. So yeah I notice too. ^_^ (Wolverine I think also made mention in Necrosha I believe that he made a mistake with Rachel and Selene, so I think he is a character that is aware that he can have the potential to be wrong, at least with hindsight...) 

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#3  Edited By xerox_kitty

Conflicting writers.  Some see him as just a killer, while others try to give him some sort of redemption.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jrock85
    @xerox-kitty said:

" Conflicting writers.  Some see him as just a killer, while others try to give him some sort of redemption. "

That's something I forgot to mention. The writers. They should do us all a favor and try to come to a consensus on what he believes in and what he wants out of life. Its kind of annoying seeing him seek redemption for all of his transgressions in one comic, then in another comic say that he doesn't believe he can be redeemed, then in another comic act as if he doesn't care about being redeemed.
    Avatar image for thegentlemanrogue
    thegentlemanrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thegentlemanrogue

Wolverine feels responsible for who Daken turned out to be, and he owes Jubilee more than perhaps anyone else.  He wants to save both of them so he isn't ready to write them off yet.

Wolverine's position has always been that killing is often necessary, but he still is aware that doing it crosses a line that can never be uncrossed. That is the reason he has stepped in and prevented dozen of character's of doing something he would have done without a second thought. Some enemies are to dangerous too be left alive, but he is going to be the one who makes the call and pull the proverbial trigger. The death will be his burden to bare, no one else's. I don't think it is hypocrisy at all. Wolverine was bred to be a killer, he can't change who he is now, but he can prevent others from becoming like him.  That's why he was unhappy with X-23, James and Folly being part of X-Force, he even told Cyclops that he would take care of it on his own and tried to give everyone an out... but despite his objections Wolverine is a good little soldier and ultimately marched to the beat of Cyclops' drum.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jrock85
    @thegentlemanrogue said:
    " Wolverine feels responsible for who Daken turned out to be, and he owes Jubilee more than perhaps anyone else.  He wants to save both of them so he isn't ready to write them off yet.  Wolverine's position has always been that killing is often necessary, but he still is aware that doing it crosses a line that can never be uncrossed. That is the reason he has stepped in and prevented dozen of character's of doing something he would have done without a second thought. Some enemies are to dangerous too be left alive, but he is going to be the one who makes the call and pull the proverbial trigger. The death will be his burden to bare, no one else's. I don't think it is hypocrisy at all. Wolverine was bred to be a killer, he can't change who he is now, but he can prevent others from becoming like him.  That's why he was unhappy with X-23, James and Folly being part of X-Force, he even told Cyclops that he would take care of it on his own and tried to give everyone an out... but despite his objections Wolverine is a good little soldier and ultimately marched to the beat of Cyclops' drum. "
    The problem is that sometimes he doesn't know when not to kill and isn't interested in exploring other options. Based on what I read in the solicits for May, he and X-Force may kill a reporter who is about to expose them. That would be indefensible  and would make them bona fide villains in my eyes.
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By PowerHerc

So it seems Wolverine exempts himself from the very standards he expects others to accept.   

Hypocritical?  Yes.   
    Common attitude in the real world?  Yes.   
    If he were a real person would this be any suprise?  No. 

In a strange way, this makes Wolverine seem more realistic to me.
    god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator
    @PowerHerc:
    good explanation herc
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @PowerHerc:
    yes, that would be about the long and short of it 
    most people would kill someone they thought was a threat to the whole world 
    very few would ever feel the same way about their own son
    wokattack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By wokattack
    @jrock85 said:
    " @xerox-kitty said:

" Conflicting writers.  Some see him as just a killer, while others try to give him some sort of redemption. "

That's something I forgot to mention. The writers. They should do us all a favor and try to come to a consensus on what he believes in and what he wants out of life. Its kind of annoying seeing him seek redemption for all of his transgressions in one comic, then in another comic say that he doesn't believe he can be redeemed, then in another comic act as if he doesn't care about being redeemed. "
    I think this is the gift and the curse of writers - they can irritate you by not being consistent, but sometimes a writer will change a character for the better, who would otherwise be stuck with a phantom-zone sort of personality.
    thegentlemanrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrock85 said:

" @thegentlemanrogue said:

" Wolverine feels responsible for who Daken turned out to be, and he owes Jubilee more than perhaps anyone else.  He wants to save both of them so he isn't ready to write them off yet.  Wolverine's position has always been that killing is often necessary, but he still is aware that doing it crosses a line that can never be uncrossed. That is the reason he has stepped in and prevented dozen of character's of doing something he would have done without a second thought. Some enemies are to dangerous too be left alive, but he is going to be the one who makes the call and pull the proverbial trigger. The death will be his burden to bare, no one else's. I don't think it is hypocrisy at all. Wolverine was bred to be a killer, he can't change who he is now, but he can prevent others from becoming like him.  That's why he was unhappy with X-23, James and Folly being part of X-Force, he even told Cyclops that he would take care of it on his own and tried to give everyone an out... but despite his objections Wolverine is a good little soldier and ultimately marched to the beat of Cyclops' drum. "
    The problem is that sometimes he doesn't know when not to kill and isn't interested in exploring other options. Based on what I read in the solicits for May, he and X-Force may kill a reporter who is about to expose them. That would be indefensible  and would make them bona fide villains in my eyes. "
    UNCANNY X-FORCE #9
    Written by RICK REMENDER
    Penciled by BILLY TAN
    Cover by ESAD RIBIC

Magneto uncovers the existence of X-Force and the only way he'll keep the team's secret is if they assassinate a mysterious figure from his past! Who is so important that Magneto would employ such methodology? Why can't he do the deed himself? The answer is buried in a terrible secret from the ashes of World War II. No man can outrun his past forever...

Pretty sure they are going to kill a WW2 Nazi war criminal... if they end up doing it.
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jrock85
    @thegentlemanrogue:@thegentlemanrogue said:

" @jrock85 said:

The problem is that sometimes he doesn't know when not to kill and isn't interested in exploring other options. Based on what I read in the solicits for May, he and X-Force may kill a reporter who is about to expose them. That would be indefensible  and would make them bona fide villains in my eyes. "
    UNCANNY X-FORCE #9 Written by RICK REMENDER Penciled by BILLY TAN Cover by ESAD RIBIC Magneto uncovers the existence of X-Force and the only way he'll keep the team's secret is if they assassinate a mysterious figure from his past! Who is so important that Magneto would employ such methodology? Why can't he do the deed himself? The answer is buried in a terrible secret from the ashes of World War II. No man can outrun his past forever...   Pretty sure they are going to kill a WW2 Nazi war criminal... if they end up doing it. "
     UNCANNY X-FORCE #10
    Written by RICK REMENDER
    Penciled by BILLY TAN
    Cover by ESAD RIBIC

A reporter prepares to release photographs of X-Force killing military personnel leaving the squad with one of the hardest choice of their lives, how to deal with her? Nothing can prepare you for the ending, or the ramifications as X-Force are forced to unite with a former servant of Apocalypse! Ramping up tp one of the biggest chapters in X-history, and yes, you've heard it before- but nothing will ever be the same. 
    Kid_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kid_Zombie
    @SC said:
    " I think thats a part of his appeal. Well, it always has to me, Wolverine tried gutting Rachel when she tried to kill Selene, who Wolverine knew indulged in evil countless acts and she's probably his own daughter! So yeah, he tends to be a do as I say, but not as I do type character. I am sure he justifies it all in his mind, lots of people in real life do this to justify inconsistencies with the thoughts they hold, and maybe there is some solid reasoning behind his thinking. Still, I see Wolverine as a flawed character in that sense. A short angry hypocrite who can be loyal and wise sometimes, but angry and shortsighted other times. His brand morality and ethics I don't condone either. So yeah I notice too. ^_^ (Wolverine I think also made mention in Necrosha I believe that he made a mistake with Rachel and Selene, so I think he is a character that is aware that he can have the potential to be wrong, at least with hindsight...)  "
    @PowerHerc said:
    " So it seems Wolverine exempts himself from the very standards he expects others to accept.    Hypocritical?  Yes.   Common attitude in the real world?  Yes.   If he were a real person would this be any suprise?  No.  In a strange way, this makes Wolverine seem more realistic to me. "
    what they said. ha ha. If anything it makes him seem like a real person. It always bugs me when people are complaining about a character who "does something out of character" but why was that term created? because people do shit "out of character" all the time ha ha if anything makes them seem real. sorry that was a kinda a off topic rant ha ha.

As for the killing of the reporter, yeah that could make them badguys for killing an innocent person. But thats what makes it interesting no? will they do it and cross that line becoming bad guys or wont they? Makes me want to read that issue. Come back after this issue, then we can discuss if he did the right thing or not ha ha. Hell for all we know maybe in that issue he explains why he feels like he should kill some while not others right?
    thegentlemanrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrock85 said:
    " @thegentlemanrogue:@thegentlemanrogue said:

" @jrock85 said:

UNCANNY X-FORCE #9 Written by RICK REMENDER Penciled by BILLY TAN Cover by ESAD RIBIC Magneto uncovers the existence of X-Force and the only way he'll keep the team's secret is if they assassinate a mysterious figure from his past! Who is so important that Magneto would employ such methodology? Why can't he do the deed himself? The answer is buried in a terrible secret from the ashes of World War II. No man can outrun his past forever...   Pretty sure they are going to kill a WW2 Nazi war criminal... if they end up doing it. "
     UNCANNY X-FORCE #10
    Written by RICK REMENDER
    Penciled by BILLY TAN
    Cover by ESAD RIBIC

A reporter prepares to release photographs of X-Force killing military personnel leaving the squad with one of the hardest choice of their lives, how to deal with her? Nothing can prepare you for the ending, or the ramifications as X-Force are forced to unite with a former servant of Apocalypse! Ramping up tp one of the biggest chapters in X-history, and yes, you've heard it before- but nothing will ever be the same. 
    "
    Cool, I hadn't seen that yet.
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jrock85
    @Kid_Zombie: 

I agree that it does kind of make him more relatable, but still, right is right and wrong is wrong. What separates the good guys from the bad guys is knowing the difference between the two. I know that might be an oversimplification but that doesn't mean its not true.

cpt_linger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By cpt_linger

Jubilee is secretly the mother of Daken?
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jrock85
    @cpt_linger said:
    " Jubilee is secretly the mother of Daken? "
    lol

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.