Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    Cloak and Skaar join Wolverine's feud against Romulus and Dakan.

THE GOOD 
    This issue was a definite improvement over the first part of "Reckoning" we saw in  Dark Wolverine (which felt especially padded). Conrad is just as good an artist as Stephen Segovia was in that issue, but his abilities are employed a lot better here. His storytelling talents have a lot more to work with, even in a simple scenes like Skaar and Romulus' dialogue around the campfire (that bizarre "upskirt" angle on Skaar notwithstanding). I especially like the reveal of Skaar in this issue, when he just erupts out of the back of a van, and the writing in the scene where Cloak calmly, but quickly, tries to calm Skaar down. Also,  the thematic parallels drawn been Skaar's relationship with the Hulk and Dakan's relationship with Wolverine give a bit more depth to this.

THE BAD 
    I don't know where Romulus first debuted or who created him, but he sticks out in this story like a blister on your palm. He looks a lot less ridiculous here than he did in the first part "Reckoning" but still comes off was a warmed-over copy of Sabretooth. Again, something you'd see in a bad 90s comic. I get what his name is a classical reference to, but it might as well be "Oedipus" considering how silly it sounds for a character like him to be named that. He also speaks in such general, vague threats that he comes off as a lame, poorly-defined villain from a low-budget syndicated sci-fi show, rather than a threatening supervillain.

THE VERDICT
    Pun intended - - this part of the "Reckoning" storyline was a lot sharper than the first. Things got a lot more interesting here with the number of players entering the fray and the thematic issues they bring, even if they're squaring off one of the lamest villains in recent memory. Honestly, I'd say skip the latest issue of Dark Wolverine and go straight to this if you want to follow "Reckoning."

3.5/5
    Nyogtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Nyogtha

You can blame Jeph Loeb for Romulus in the Evolution arc in Origins. When he stupidly killed off Sabretooth.

Gennadius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Gennadius
    @Nyogtha:
    yeah but maybe they will bring him back after the wolverine goes to hell serie where he is going  to fight all his dead enemies.
    Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Meteorite

Really, Romulus is a horrible villain. He's trying to fill Sabretooth's shoes as "Wolverine's worst enemy" but it's not working.

Avatar image for mr_hulk_smashin__
    Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

you misspelled "Daken" you wrote "Dakan"

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By thatlad

I must've missed something, what's Skaar's connection to Romulus? Why is Skaar concerned? I thought all he cared about was smashing the Hulk??

DiabolicVision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By DiabolicVision
    @thatlad: they just put skaar in there cause wolvie kinda asked banner for help.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.