Weirdworld #4

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Arkon finds himself at Polemachus but everything is upside-down. Weirdworld is getting weirder and now Skull the Slayer has been sent to kill him. However, someone else, controlling a whole slew of Man-Things, has other plans.

Let's just get right into how amazing Mike Del Mundo's artwork is in this issue. I sit, staring, at this two page spread featuring Jennifer Kale surrounded by Man-Things as Skull and Arkon look onward. This spread is the best thing I've seen come out of comics in the past couple years. It is unimaginatively beautiful and an amazing establishing shot for the upcoming scene.

Del Mundo's work on this issue is surreal and completely fitting for Weirdworld. This feels like the series that Del Mundo was born to draw, which makes the upcoming on-going series, which will be written by Sam Humphries, something to really look forward to. The final pages of this issue, however, are stunning as well. Del Mundo puts a lot of emotion into Arkon's face, creating this really emotional end to the issue and to what Arkon thinks is his journey.

As for the story, Jason Aaron delivers a heroic journey filled with endless amounts of fantasy and action that will please any reader. The pacing of the book is incredibly fluid and it has a nice flow to the storytelling. Considering this is, at its core, a Conan story at Marvel, there's going to be some brutality to it all. There's a pretty fantastic fight scene between Skull and Arkon, and as mentioned, it's incredibly brutal to see play out.

What really works about this issue is the ending. Arkon has been searching for Polemachus since the beginning of this mini-series and he's never given up. Without spoiling too much about the issue, it's a pretty depressing ending and a moment where the reader wishes they could interact with the character inside the book. Aaron and Del Mundo have crafted something really enjoyable and a book that hearkens back to classic adventure/fantasy tales.

Essenemg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Essenemg

I discovered Del Mundo with Weirdworld, he instantly became one of my favourite artists !

I'd like to see him work on a Moon Knight run...

greenlucario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@essenemg said:

I'd like to see him work on a Moon Knight run...

That's an amazing idea! I would love to see that kind of art on MK!

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man-Thing!

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By lagozzino

@essenemg: Do yourself a favor and pick up his Elektra run from last year. He did some absolutely brilliant artwork on that.

dotwilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

best secret wars book.

phocracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By phocracker

@dotwilson: None are better than Hail Hydra. All other books are basic.

SuperValley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@essenemg: Del Mundo or Rock-he Kim would make some great art for Moon Knight! I hope marvel announces something soon. We need some paranormal one-shots!

Essenemg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supervalley: I think we need more one-shots in general :P

And i'm happy that, with the Dr.Strange film coming out next year, Marvel will give a better place to magic and paranormal in their universe (with the upcoming Dr Strange, Black Knight, possibly Karnak series...)

Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

This book is amazing and by far my favorite right now (easily the best Secret Wars book).

Avatar image for greenlanterndeadpool
GreenLanternDeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Queen of the Man-Things"

Heh heh.... Okay then.

TheValiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dotwilson: None are better than Hail Hydra. All other books are basic.

Heh, Hail Hydra is actually just middle-tier for me out of the SW books. Different strokes and all that I guess.

phocracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By phocracker

@thevaliant: If I think about it, Hail Hydra is middle-tier. But it absorbs a reader more than Weirdworld, when, if you're used to that sort of art (Black Science-esque), then the story is simply mediocre

Issues 1-2 (haven't picked up 3) Man on adventure, man gets kidnapped, man meets prison-mate, escapes together, prison-mate ends up being crazy)

The stories I enjoy?

Secret Wars itself, 1872, Renew Your Vows, and Old Man Logan is nice [typical guy on a chase, but the art is great and it's Logan]

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.