Follow

We Are Robin

Team » We Are Robin appears in 37 issues.

A group of teenagers who came together under the Robin symbol in an effort to help protect Gotham City.

Why You Should Read WE ARE ROBIN #1

• 56 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

We've seen a few different Robins in the DCU. When the New 52 reboot arrived, a lot of people questioned how we could have Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, and Damian Wayne all be Robins within a five year time period. Now we're going to have a whole bunch more!

The idea of being a Robin is being taken to a different place now. Damian may still be going by the name but he's running around the world in his solo book, ROBIN: SON OF BATMAN. In Gotham City, a group of regular kids are now declaring WE ARE ROBIN.

No Caption Provided

I'll admit, when I first heard about the idea, I had some doubts. Regular kids, with no training, running around looking for trouble to take on in the streets of Gotham just seemed like a crazy and bad idea for them. That is part of the charm of the new series. As writer Lee Bermejo said in our interview:

Obviously it’s easier for them to see themselves in Robin as opposed to Batman. It’s just that concept of bringing light into a dark world. Essentially it’s a symbol.

These kids may be tired of living in the dangerous world Gotham has to offer. They've decided to do something about it.

Duke Thomas

No Caption Provided

Duke was introduced during Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo's Zero Year arc in BATMAN. It's great when a new character is introduced and something is done with them. He's our connection into the series. We many not know a lot about him but we did just see him during Endgame. That has helped set his direction here. He has a loose connection to Batman and it'll be interesting to see more of his story unfold.

The series is clearly set within the Bat-Universe but still has its own feel.

Leslie Thompkins and Others?

No Caption Provided

We get to see Leslie Thompkins in this issue. Too often, classic civilian characters like Leslie are left on the sidelines. She may not have a huge role in the series but her connection to Duke could allow us to see more of her. Having a pre-existing Batman character that isn't a major character come in and out further cements the series in the Bat-Universe without making it feel forced. If suddenly Jason Todd started giving them pointers or Tim Drake, that would seem out of character and a little unnatural.

Leslie may not be a permanent supporting character in the series. It will depend on where exactly Duke goes during his personal mission. This could be a chance to see other under-utilized supporting characters throughout the Bat-verse. Maybe we'll even see Harold. (Actually I'm kind of kidding about him).

Who or What is the Nest?

No Caption Provided

Who doesn't like a good mystery? We may not fully know how or when these kids first decided to band together and hit the streets. What we have seen is some texts from someone or something calling itself "The Nest." Could there be someone assisting these kids? Who is doing all the coordination? For some reason they had their sights on Duke. Is this just some "senior" member of the Robins or could it be something more? What about those last couple pages?

New Characters

No Caption Provided

Some readers complain when we get yet another Batman book or another book featuring characters already in a ba-jillion other titles. This is a chance for readers to get in on the ground floor. We're just being introduced to these characters. There's likely to be others popping in and out or waiting to be introduced. Some may be reluctant to accept new characters but I say why not give them a chance? Let them grow on you?

The important thing is to try something different. We need to let publishers know we're open to new or different concepts instead of the same few characters done over and over again. There is a lot of potential seen in this first issue. It's definitely worth checking out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

So I guess martial artists count jack shit now in DC since everyone can fight

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously, someone needs to put these Gotham kids on leashes. You get kids running around with Batman, running around without Batman, running around in Gotham Academy...do these kids honestly have nothing better to do than to run around and play superhero?

HistoryJosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Frankly, I thought the book was great. I came in very skeptical, knowing Bermejo largely as an artist, having no particular attachment to Duke Thomas, but having been intrigued by the 8-page preview. I was thrilled by what I ended up reading.

Unfortunately, I think DC is shooting themselves in the foot here with the 3.99 entry price.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

I wonder if they'll be We are Batman!

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Sure why not, Ill give it a try.

Synack1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Synack1138

I wasn't crazy about the issue. I'll stay with it a bit longer to see where it goes but I thinking of dropping it.

GokaiFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No thanks. I'm already having issues with the theory that Batman is still alive and letting Gordon run around using the name to believe the same, except a bunch of civilians running around proclaiming to be Robin.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Nah

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems like most people are nay on this when a lot of people predicted it to be the next big thing in DC.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

They look more like the Jubilee's.

SlimJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gave it a shot and ended up really liking it, which is weird for me because it's a bat-book and I've gotten sick of those. If the series survives, I really hope this team stays off in it's own little corner of Gotham, only tangentially connected to everything else going on. Trying to bring the character closer to the rest of the Bat-Family killed the last shreds of uniqueness Batwing was clinging to. I'd hate to see the same thing happen to We Are Robin; the premise has potential.

Snipergallo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it me or now everyone can be an extremely good fighter in the DC universe in no time? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea but now it looks like everyone can just say ok I'll be a vigilante and bam! Instant martial arts degree, and I remember that before all vigilantes/martial artist spend a lot of time training/preparing.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 the_stegman  Moderator

I liked the first issue, but many won't read this cause they hate different things.

Scantenii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pass. I don't like the premise. Looks bad and this description did not sell me.

jrjoanes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://mainemartialarts.com/martial-arts/martial-arts-statistics-demographics-people-practice/

On the subject of people knowing how to fight, statistically a lot of people practice some kind of martial arts. Also given that these are six or seven kids living in a pretty dangerous city of millions of people doesn't seem all that unlikely.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
    Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I actually really love this concept. I'll have to give it a shot.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought it, figured i give it a try.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

I hope they have bulletproof clothes or they will have bullets in the future.

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By justice teen

This seems nice, but can we focus more on characters that aren't in the Batman mythos? For example none of Wonder Woman's characters have their own book, and the JLD and trinity of sin are MIA.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Might check it out

rejected_stone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks pretty awesome to me. I can't wait to pick it up tonight.

I think The Nest might be a callback to Tim Drake's base of operations in Eternal. I wonder if someone like Harper or Cullen (Lark?) is heading this up. Just a thought.

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No thsnks theres only one robin

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453
    deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vivide: @snipergallo:Nowhere in this first issue does this series claim that these kids are master martial artists. It does however imply that (and this is assumption of mine supported by the 8 page preview and interviews) that each Robin has a unique skill set and that the kids rely on a strength in numbers strategy to survive their "adventures". They are not all master martial artists some of them took martial arts classes, some may have gymnastics experience in their background, at least one of them is decked out in football and is probably more likely to tackle a guy to the ground and pound on him than he is to high kick someone. The book doesn't ask you to think these kids could take on the League of Assassins or the Court of Owls, it only asks you to believe that they can in a large enough group take on your average street thug which I can totally accept but if you can't than I guess this isn't the book for you and that's fine. Or to put it in simpler terms, put a group of these kids in front of a group of street thugs and they can probably pull out a win, but put them in front of a Talon and they are just as screwed as anyone else.

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By mrkareemruiz

Nice read.

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vivide

@mangakid1995: It made sense in batwing because he took MMA lessons in Gotham, they need to explain how they got these skills.

Hopefully nothing stereotypical like "I was raised in these streets" or that kind of bullcrap

Avatar image for gothicshieldagent
    gothicshieldagent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can we please stop with the raised in the streets archetype? Why not raised in the country or raised in New Guinea? Batwing was tough both because of where he lived and the brutality of his enemies,why can't we have a really cool character from India or Brussels or someone living in a remote desert? This book seems a bit meh to me,but maybe it'll get better and grow on us.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They'll be beating down Deathstroke by issue 6.

Snipergallo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@mangakid1995: I'm all fine with the idea of common people with different skills teaming up to combat crime, but seriously, the kid has gone from being too scared of the bad guys to do jumps over enemies, kick them in the face and just punch guys in the face like if it was nothing? I'm pretty sure they'll say that he learned that but forgot it or that he learned on the streets, and last time I knew, even Jason Todd had to learn a lot of this, and he was from the streets.

Do you have a guess on who might be the man at the end?

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

derekvang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By derekvang

Nope. Still not interested

batarangbamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The preview didn't grab me but checking out the art in the comic shop sold me on it. I was down even more when I got home and realized it was Duke. I like how these series are all spinning out of the events of Endgame. We all know Bruce will come back but its interesting to see how the city and his family are reacting to his absence. Its also has me curious to hear his reasons for disappearing, maybe he feels like his Arkham Knight counterpart.

After that issue of Endgame I figured his family would be ok but knowing that that night and excellent arc left plenty lives torn apart has so much storytelling potential. He's not a kid raised on the street but a child who grew up with both parents in a hard city. From looking up to Batman since he saved him in Zero Year to being bait and losing his parents due to his connection to the Knight that also disappeared that day has him messed up. Combine that with bouncing from foster home to foster home and you have the possible origin story of the next true Robin. We've seen him in Bruce's future and dreams now so its not farfetched

This is probably my favorite of the new series, still need to see Cyborg to know for sure.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Unfortunately, I think DC is shooting themselves in the foot here with the 3.99 entry price.

Exactly!

It's a book for mostly teenagers -- $2.99 max.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If even Damian died as a Robin ...I don't have high hopes most of these kids surviving as they are in-over their heads...a lot. And there is no Batman to save them now too. We have Gordon-man who would rather arrest them than help them ( he even tried to arrest BATGIRL for god's sake )

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This book isn't for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3ffc872a35d
    deactivated-5b3ffc872a35d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Seems like most people are nay on this when a lot of people predicted it to be the next big thing in DC.

Those people haven't even read it

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

doesn't look interesting to me.

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Robin group VS Gang of Harley Quinns!!

lkk102466

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

interesting premise, lousy art. if anyone can explain how the characters throw a punch without shattering a wrist, i'm listening.

i predict a short lifespan all around. i'm out.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Really cause even more people seem to be negatively criticizing it.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titanbreaker: Like who exactly?

It has a 7.9 rating on Comic Book Round up.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This actually may be the single worst concept for a comicbook that I've ever seen

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No wonder people complain about a lot of comicbooks being mediocre. It's because people buy dumb sh!t like this

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Are you not looking at the comments? The two below you show that people seem to be negative on this concept and art choice.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DD208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1 was okay but the $3.99 cover price is the regular monthly price not just for issue #1 so it better get good fast or i'm out.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

too many on my plate already, I see if I try as a digital since they are cheaper but someone made a good point,

This seems nice, but can we focus more on characters that aren't in the Batman mythos? For example none of Wonder Woman's characters have their own book,

I love Greek mythology, I would like too see this happen.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.