Follow

Watchmen

Team » Watchmen appears in 44 issues.

Watchmen is a twelve-issue comic book limited series created by writer Alan Moore, artist Dave Gibbons, and colorist John Higgins. The grouping of heroes and villains contained in the work are not, in fact, named "The Watchmen", though they were at one point referred to as "Crimebusters". Rorschach, Nite Owl and Dr. Manhattan were the team's primary heroes.

Off My Mind: Should There Be a Sequel to WATCHMEN?

• 169 results
    Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#151  Edited By Theodore

please no

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

#152  Edited By Queso6p4

Nice article! I, for one, tend to err on the side of no sequels if possible for things like Watchmen. As others have said, sequels and prequels tend to draw things out and make them unpalatable for a lot of people and Watchmen definitely had a sense of self-containment and finality. That being said, however, in the right hands and with good marketing to boot, I'd definitely be willing to see a sequel. It's good stuff, good stuff indeed.

MarcusVWario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By MarcusVWario

What they hell are you talking about, of course there could be a subpar tie-in; especially, if it is written by someone other then Alan Moore. You can't make a sequel that lives up to the original after a certain amount of time, you want precedent: DUKE FUCKING NUKEM. The game was shitty and they waited only 12 years plus they had access to better graphics, engines, publicity and the game was still absolute shit, this is 30 YEARS!!! How can this possibly live up to expectations.

Oh and if you think its okay to allow a company to make a sequel just because they have the paperwork then you are not a true comicbook fan. Even if DC has the legal rights, the story and the characters are Alan Moore's and handing them over to anyone else would be a huge slap in the face not to mention the fact that they would not be the Watchmen, they would just be some generic knock offs produced to get a quick buck off nostalgia. Oh, and if any writer had the gall to takeover Watchmen from Alan Moore then they should be immediately exiled from the comic community, black listed by every publisher, and comic fans should make a pact to never purchase anything they write for the rest of time.

You can't let the fans pressure you into a sequel, because in the immortal words of Ben "Yahtzee" Corshaw, "the fans are fucking idiots!" You cannot let people obsessed with something dictate its direction because they will run it into the ground. Fans never stop wanting more and will pester you until you kill the story for them and they blame YOU for fucking up the story when you were only accommodating their desires.

Godlovesusall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By Godlovesusall

Since Watchmen was so good,the characters were great and it made such an appeal,why not more?

I'm not saying "You're all wrong!" and such. Just asking.

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 2

#155  Edited By The Mast

No, and anyone saying anything another than "No" is fundamentally disrespecting the source.

It's not over-reaction or knee-jerking, it's logic. No Watchmen sequel. A prequel would be better, but no to everything. Stop it. Is this D.C. just being asses because Moore won't let them rape V for Vendetta any further?

Casshern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Casshern

HOLY SH** Nite Owl!!

WHY!!

I don't know who owns the rights to Watchmen...suck that Alan Moore doesn't anymore, BUT even if you own the rights and DIDN'T WRITE IT why make a sequel or prequel.

With respect, WHICH MANY IN THE HUNGER FOR MONEY DON'T, if Alan Moore says NO to Co-writing THEN HANDS OFF!!

You got a better chance with a V for Vendetta prequel and I HATE THAT IDEA TOO!

This is the problem when Creativity meets big business. MONEY TALKS AND Quality starts to disappear.

MILKING ever dollar out of an idea doesn't always work...even for the Original creator. The problem is the Creative OPEN SPACE that few stories give you (the reader) the chance to imagine the what ifs on your own. Watchmen left you with SUCH a BIG what if, that its grown into something that everyone has an idea of what the world pass the story could be, that to see drawn or movie vision of it would be weak in comparison to the imagination of MILLIONS that have held that creative Open Space to themselves.

DESTROYING IT by visualizing it NOW would only weaken the World of Watchmen and these continuing ideas.

But no stopping the Money train...so if it happens I'm not reading. If they want to go for a hopeful read, LEAVE THE WATCHMEN ALONE! Write about other character before the events in ALan Moore's story..o and one more thing...

KEEP THEM AWAY FOR DC Universes. They should be in their own. A Cross over sounds STUPID. Batman in that world...What doing and besting everyone again, Green Arrow not killed yet, a half naked heroine not being sexually touched. Watchmen world has bite A LOT OF BITE, and the it never happens like this in DC, would only weaken it to its level.

EXAMPLE: DC vs Mortal Kombat. Not as violent as people thought...that's because its DC Universe in the Violent world of Mortal Kombat...it got toned down.

PulledaBrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By PulledaBrad

Nope. I think DC should let the book go out of print for a month and let the rights revert back to Moore.

ferpuerto17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By ferpuerto17

I say do it, and bring some of the characters into the DC Universe... All you screaming that it should not be done are taking it waaaaaaay too seriously. How many times has Elektra been brought back in Marvel? You don't see fans rioting, do you?

Avatar image for assassin_elektra
    Assassin_Elektra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't think a sequel would be entirely bad, as long as it's done right and not interfere with the story that should pertain to the characters. Prequel? No, enough of the prequels. Everyone knows the basics already, let's see things built past the beaten bush of starting points of stories and characters. I think there's been far too many 'Prequels' and 'Reboots' in games, movies etc.

Can't anything new and original be thought up anymore? If not, Watchmen should be left alone as is.

MoonKnight91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By MoonKnight91

No, but i would perhaps like a bigger crossover with in the other universes of DC, perhaps a time travel inter-dimensional plot, kind of like the Star Trek(2009) film.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

#161  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

I just cannot see any success behind a reported prequel/sequel unless Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons actually do it themselves.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Mutant God
     I rather see
     I rather see
    Avatar image for silverhammerman
    SilverHammerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By SilverHammerMan

This is certainly a hot button issue among the comics community right now, and that's why I've decided to weigh in with MY baseless opinion:

I understand that because Alan Moore isn't involved, a lot of people immediately will immediately think that this is a terrible idea, but here me out. Alan Moore is not the ONLY good comic book writer out there, yes he's talented, but so is Brian K. Vaughn, Darwin Cook, Warren Ellis, etc, etc, etc. The point is that while those three might not be ideal for a Watchmen story, you'd have to be kidding yourself to say that NO ONE else could write a Watchmen story. And to be frank, Alan Moore is kind of pretentious, kind of REALLY pretentious, I like the man and admire him, but he's very pretentious. Alan Moore has gotten a lot of money and prestige thanks to Watchmen, and if he doesn't want to come back to it, it's no great loss. After all, where would we be now if Superman had stopped being published after his creators left the title? Admittedly that's not the greatest comparison, but you get the basic idea.

And besides that, Watchmen is RIFE for expansion, I mean Doc Manhattan said it himself; "Nothing ever ends." And that includes Watchmen. So why don't I just list some of the plot threads that could be picked up from the original Watchmen:

The world has been pulled out of a suicidal nuclear standoff by the thread of alien invasion, one that we know will never come. So that means that the entire planet has been on high alert for an indeterminate amount of time, and maybe, just maybe, they might start to get suspicious after a while.

Culture has become centered on sci-fi, as seen at the end of Watchmen, that's not a story point, but a nice bit of cosmetic flair.

Since Doc Manhattan is gone, he's no longer around to synthesize the raw materials that allowed electric cars and such to become widespread. This would certainly have an economic effect on the world. Not to mention that humanity has lost its only only superhuman.

Rorschach's journal is still out in the world, and while it might not be believed by everyone, there are still probably a few fringe nuts who buy into it.

Tell me you don't see the elements of a story in there.

dr.x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 177

User Lists: 16

#164  Edited By dr.x

Two Questoins I got about that. 1. Who is going to be in the line up Rorschach is deader then fry chicken and Ozymandias truns out to be vilian . 2. There is world Peace because of Ozymandias lie . So how can there be one now a prequels I'm all for that.

Avatar image for franklinrichards86
    franklinrichards86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

when i first saw watchmen i thought it was a great movie.... then i watched it a second time, and besides the nude scenes, i couldnt figure out why i liked it.

Avatar image for amp___seeker_of_lost_knowledge
    AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 14

I kinda thought about it...

I'd imagine 20 years after the events of the fictional 1987, where Nite Owl and Silk Spectre have kids and start a superhero family/team, Dr. Manhatten returns in the wake of 9/11 ....

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't like to see prequels or new stories with The Watchmen. I know it's an established franchise that makes it easier for companies to profit off of new content, but the ending really felt like a proper conclusion to me. There really doesn't seem to be a need for sequelitis or prequelitis to afflict this story/universe. If it was a prequel, for example, the characters would just be doing typical street level heroic things and that would either undermine the setting of the original story or just be boring. There is nothing wrong with a good story being wrapped up with a good conclusion, IMHO.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By COBRAMORPH

I've always felt they should have only loosly used the Watchmen movie to make a series of films, using the same cast, but turning them back into their Charlton forms & try & make a series of Avenger/JL type films with them. Maybe add in Max Mercury as a flash type.

Avatar image for tharosthedragon
    TharosTheDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By TharosTheDragon

@catman9: In my sequel idea, Seymour has become Rorschach II. And as a result of the psychic shock wave, he's become arguably even crazier than the original Rorschach. Not only that, but he's enlisted an entire cult of crazies who all wear Rorschach masks, kind of like V for Vendetta. Does that sound cool?

Avatar image for tharosthedragon
    TharosTheDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I most see everyone here seems pretty against the idea of a sequel. That's understandable, given the state of the industry and the trends of pandering to the lowest common denominator for profit. But would anyone reconsider if the sequel was done right? I've spent many hours compiling ideas for a sequel, and I've done extensive research by carefully taking notes on the original and reading Alan Moore's other works and his interviews where he reveals much about his inspirations and his process.

It would be set in 2015. Because of the Keene Act, no new heroes have sprung up to replace the old in the USA which has been following Veidt's leadership, but the superhero fad has reached other countries who now have their own masked vigilantes.

After studying Rorschach's journal, Seymour has an incomplete version of the truth about Veidt and wants to discover more. Hector Godfrey publishes a story about how the alien monster might be a huge conspiracy, but as usual his ravings aren't taken seriously by the mainstream media. Eventually Seymour reaches a crisis in his life where he learns to stand up for himself, and finally he decides to continue Rorschach's legacy. In the comic, Dan doesn't see Rorschach get killed so as far as he knows, Rorschach is still alive. On Seymour's first masked outing, Dan sees him in an alleyway and chases after him, but Seymour disappears. Eventually, Seymour manages to kill Adrian Veidt by throwing him out of a window, possibly from an airship.

Interspersed in the story will be a side-story about Dr. Manhattan creating life after arriving in another galaxy millions of years in the future. The reader will think that means Jon can have no effect on the main events on Earth. But Jon has left a part of himself on Mars which then returns to Earth to tell everyone about what will become of their species after Jon's return to Earth in many millions of years.

That's just a small part of the ideas I've compiled. What do you guys think?

Avatar image for larcadedragneel
    LarcadeDragneel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.