Follow

Watchmen

Team » Watchmen appears in 44 issues.

Watchmen is a twelve-issue comic book limited series created by writer Alan Moore, artist Dave Gibbons, and colorist John Higgins. The grouping of heroes and villains contained in the work are not, in fact, named "The Watchmen", though they were at one point referred to as "Crimebusters". Rorschach, Nite Owl and Dr. Manhattan were the team's primary heroes.

Brutally Honest: Why A Watchmen Spin-Off Doesn't Matter

• 162 results
    Avatar image for alice_of_wonderland
    alice of wonderland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@Om1kron:  At some point I definitely started to agree with you. ;P
    While I do love the original comic, which I think you are crazy for never having read, what I love about it is its uniqueness. Watchmen added such a hardcore, gritty realism to a genre that was mostly about spandex wearing, lawful-good goofballs. Moore adding a beautifully complex moral dilemma to the mix that didn't fall under the category of "righteous good" or "unquestionably evil." And it is perfect the way it is, it's a finished product. It doesn't need DC or anyone coming back years later to tinker with, or to "reimagine" it, or to add new characters to the mix. JUST LEAVE IT ALONE IT CANNOT BE MADE BETTER. If you want to prove you're a good writer/artist, how about making something that is your own and comparable in greatness to Watchmen, instead of trying to make Watchmen your own.
    And since I've already stopped to rant: @ stwnrpwnr, comics are in no way a dying medium. Have you even been to a comic book store? They wouldn't exist if they weren't selling a sought after product. Even corporate book stores like B&N and Borders sell trade paperbacks, special edition hardcovers, and comics in magazine form. While it can be fun to exploit the illiterate, when you make a shitty product and put a character or an author's name on it, it makes the character and the author look shitty in the process. Not really worth it, in my opinion.
    aouric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#152  Edited By aouric
    @joshmightbe: Well spoken!
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

#153  Edited By No_Name_
    Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#154  Edited By Om1kron

haha no no no!!!

AMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By AMS

I agree a spinoff would suck and it is DC's own fault in the first place that this situation came about in a sense because they wouldn't let him use the Charlton Characters and he had to invent the Watchmen characters instead.
    omdway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By omdway
    @OrionStarlancer: 

There was a Batman/Judge Dredd CrossOver which worked pretty well.  
    Im not asking for Watchmen crossovers im asking for one-shots to give the characters a little more air-time. Before Veidt developed his messiah complex and got everyone killed..."35 minutes ago." LoL
    Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 10

#157  Edited By Jekylhyde14
    @Joe E. Nigma:
    "By today's standards "Watchman" barely holds its own"- What are you talking about? Name ONE comic series in the last five years that you think is on par with Watchmen. I'm betting I'll be really underwhelmed by your response. Like I said, Alan Moore changed the genre. After Marvelman and Watchmen, the door was open for psycholgically mature superhero stories with grim settings and realistic violence. Just pick up any superhero comic from the late 80's or early 90's and you'll see dudes trying to write like Alan Moore and falling on their faces. Who do you think has THAT kind of influence on the entire genre today? And does that person uderstand narrative layers the same way Alan does? I'm also pretty amused by the "if you're against making money, you must be a Reublican" argument you whipped out. Let me guess, you're 14... or 15? You're mouthing off about a lot of things you don't understand. If you don't think Marvel or DC ever mistreated Alan then read up on your history. DC let him believe that one day he'd get the rights to Watchmen back only to slam that door in his face once it became successful. They also altered his plans to end Swamp Thing. Marvel Comics wouldn't let him release Marvelman in the US as Marvelman so he had to change the name to Miracleman (which is pretty funny considering they just bought Marvelman hoping to reprint Alan's work). Your comments show me that you have no clue about the long, hard fight comic creators had to wage for decades before they could be properly compensated for their creations. For Alan's characters and story to be USED by a company who's no longer even brave enough to approach him professionally would be wrong. For them to go dipping in the well against Alan's wishes would not only be disrespectful but also crass and hollow, but it sounds like you'd get a kick out of that...
    Agent_Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#158  Edited By Agent_Prince

I don't think the spin-offs would be a bad idea at all, but DC are trying to give Alan back the rights at what is now the wrong time, he never wanted the film, so didn't even have his name included nor did he take any money from it.  

In my opinion, this is nothing to do with the work itself anymore for Alan, nor money of course, but the principle of it. I believe that if the creator voiced his opinion about the movie for example, then whoever had the rights would have listened to Alan and not made the movie. Maybe then Alan Moore wouldn't feel it was 'raped' so much then. Don't get me wrong, the movie wasn't bad at all, but all his other works' movie translations are terrible, which prompted his opinion in the first place. 

I think the best thing for DC is to just to leave the book in print, and that's it. Alan's had enough, his mind won't be changed.
    Agent_Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#159  Edited By Agent_Prince
    @Babs:
    exactly, it ain't no metaphoric word, it's just wrong to use! full stop! i only used it to quote Alan
    Avatar image for reversenegative
    ReverseNegative

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 6

#160  Edited By ReverseNegative
    @AMS said:
    "I agree a spinoff would suck and it is DC's own fault in the first place that this situation came about in a sense because they wouldn't let him use the Charlton Characters and he had to invent the Watchmen characters instead. "

NO it wouldn't It would be awesome and would get Watchmen more publicity. Honestly, I'm ashamed that no one outside of the comic book community knows what Watchmen is, even though it's the greatest graphic novel of all time, and that's not just my opinion.
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#161  Edited By Kairan1979

I agree. Watchmen are over. I don't want to see it turning into a mainstream comic book. I don't want to see Doctor Manhattan fighting for the universe with his alternate selves. I don't want to see clones of Rorschach with machine guns and grenades, I don't want to see Sally Jupiter rejuvenated to take back her mantle because Laurie is pregnant again, I don't want to see Ozymandius trying to outsmart aliens or Nite Owl III in armored exoskeleton fighting the Children of the Squid.

VenomousTaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many Lol's.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.