inferiorego's Watchmen #12 - A Stronger Loving World review

Avatar image for inferiorego
  • inferiorego wrote this review on .
  • inferiorego has written a total of 318 reviews. The last one was for

I love a realistic ending...

This is a bit of a review for all 12 issues, as a whole, of Watchmen. There are some I particularly like more than others, but this book works best as a whole.

There is a reason people have called this, "The Citizen Kane of Comics". There's a reason it's on Times "100 Best Novels" list. I just can't believe it took me this long to read it.

SPOILERS!

I'm engrossed in this world. These characters are all so interesting. Each one, for the most part, has these horrible quirks that I find so appealing. Rorschach is a complete badass, yet the guy has no qualms about murdering a criminal. Comedian has a take-no-prisoners attitude along with a "what's mine is mine" motto. Veidt has the best intentions in mind, but is ruthless and uncaring.

Aside from the death of half of New York, I am a huge fan of realistic endings. Realistic? Yes, sometimes evil wins. Not only do they win, they obliterate good. It's a kick to the reader's face to see everything go down in the last chapter. This book questions morality. Is it ok to kill half of a major city in order to stop a possible nuclear war? Any book that gets me thinking and questioning my morality gets the highest regards in my book. As a child who grew up in the 80s, we were always worried about the reds, are they going to bomb us? This book probably hits a little harder to people that are in their mid-twenties and up.

My favorite thing about this book is at it's core, it's a multiple character study. Each major character seems to have his/her own issue discussing more intimate details of their past or personal life which really gives you insight into who they really are under the mask. Especially the issue in which Kovacs is talking to the psychiatrist as he conducts the Rorschach test. There is so much depth to this book, it's ridiculous. I would love to write more, but I'll feel as though it will turn into an essay, I'll leave that for another day.

Buy it in trade, sit down and read the best series in comic book history.