Follow

Watcher

Character » Watcher appears in 1389 issues.

Part of an ancient alien race, Uatu the Watcher is an incredibly powerful being that has sworn never to interfere with the happenings of the Universe, only to watch, yet he has broken this oath several times.

Details Revealed for ORIGINAL SIN - The Death of the Watcher Event

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Someone is going to kill the Watcher. While this sounds like a pretty big deal, people might not realize the full repercussions of what could result from this. With his death, a greater mystery unfolds as huge secrets will be revealed. The person in possession of these secrets could do all sorts of bad things. Two group of heroes will investigate the mystery but this could change quite a bit of the Marvel Universe.

During a press conference with Marvel, Jason Aaron, Tom Brevoort, and Axel Alonso, we found out quite a bit as they made it clear just how big this could be.

No Caption Provided

ORIGINAL SIN is an eight-issue event spanning the entire Marvel Universe. It starts on the moon with the dead body of Uatu, the Watcher. The death is discovered by a variety of Marvel heroes. The murderer has made off with valuable technology and even more valuable information that the Watcher carried. Every secret and every skeleton from the Marvel Universe will be revealed. Those secrets are going to shake the Marvel Universe.

Jason Aaron: When the heroes find the Watcher's body on the moon, his eyes are gone. They don't really know what that means but we start to learn that his eyes are the secret to unlocking everything he's witnessed over the years. Whoever holds one of those eyes, pretty early on in the series, is basically able to explode a bomb full of secrets and able to unleash all these various secrets of the Marvel Universe out into the wild.

Tom Brevoort: This is the ultimate NSA leak of the Marvel Universe. This is the guy that has seen everything and knows where all the bodies are buried. Including the bodies that none of our readers even know are there. Every one of his dark secrets has fallen into potentially the wrong hands.

No Caption Provided

Question: That explosion of information, can you guys talk a little about that?

JA: There's so much we can't talk about. One of the big questions is, WHO has this eye? Presumably it's our killer. What do they want to do with it? Why did they take it? It's in issue #2 that everything kind of explodes. Literally. We get this explosion of secrets. We'll see some of the darkest secrets of our main heroes.

TB: We talked in the past how the structure of this event is different from ones we've done. Up to know, we just said it was a murder mystery and left it at that. With the new information we just revealed, you can understand that once that sort of information detonation goes off and the first wave of secrets and hidden information gets disseminated to our characters--heroes, villains, civilians alike, that is going to set off a multitude of stories that will affect our characters. That information is what's going to drive our tie-in books that will spin out from that point.

The Spider-Man secret will drive a certain number of Spider-Man stories. The Daredevil secret will drive a certain number of Daredevil stories. And so forth and so on. It's a different structure that we're used to doing in that the Daredevil story and the Hulk story don't necessarily intersect. They have the same kick off point and the same underlying idea which is, the worst information, the worst skeleton in the closet of somebody--either Matt Murdock himself or someone close to him or Peter Parker, someone close to him, has been revealed and it causes crazy trouble.

In addition to the NSA of the Marvel Universe, it's also the TMZ of the Marvel Universe. All of the scandalous and salacious ideas we could come up with, will get their moment in the sun. Things will get a lot more personal and emotional for our characters. Each story will be supremely meaty in a way, perhaps, in the past, not every tie-in has been.

Question: To follow up on that, it sounds like the main ORIGINAL SIN series will be about the murder of the Watcher.

TB: Primarily, yes. There are secrets and reveals about long existing Marvel characters, heroes and villains alike, that happens within the core ORIGINAL SIN series.

Axel Alonso: The core series deals more with the murder of the Watcher and can be read independent of everything else.

Question: Now that we have the background, are there any teases you can provide us with?

TB: I think we had two we were willing to put out on the table at this point. This is just the tip of the iceberg to what these things are. In one story, Captain America will learn that somebody close to him has tampered with his memories. Someone has tampered with his mind. Somebody in his immediate orbit and that will have a seismic affect on Cap's relationship with the people around him at a time when he's really supposed to be at the forefront of tracking down the guy that left a dead body on the moon. It's the worst possible time for Cap to deal with something like this.

Secondly, in the world of Spider-Man, we are going to learn that there was somebody else that was bitten by the same radioactive spider that caused the origin of Spider-Man, back in the day. Seeds for that will be brewing in the AMAZING SPIDER-MAN book starting right the new AMAZING #1 and come into fruition in the ORIGINAL SIN series.

AA: All of the ORIGINAL SIN tie-ins will be important. They will represent secrets that will change the characters for the foreseeable future. There will be long term, permanent ramifications for their lives. It might affect the way they look at themselves in the mirror or the way they look at a teammate or friend. It might involve the introduction of someone into their lives they didn't know. Someone they didn't even know existed. There will be at least one instance how you see how the paths of two characters intersected in ways they didn't know.

JA: We'll find out this isn't the first time our murderer has killed someone. Whoever killed the Watcher, you're not going to step up and kill the Watcher your first time you kill somebody. We start to follow a murder trail that takes us to different corners of the Marvel Universe. One of the most fun things for me is writing the different little groups of characters during the investigation. Writing Doctor Strange and Punisher together as a mini-buddy/cop story during this or Gamora, Winter Soldier and Moon Knight together, or Ant-Man and Emma Frost, has been a lot of fun.

Question: Jason, can you touch on why certain characters were assembled?

JA: I don't know what to really say right now except they were assembled for specific reasons. You'll see there's not really a lot of overlap in terms of their individual expertise.

No Caption Provided

Question: We saw in FF that the Watcher had a mate and an unborn child on the way. Will they have a role here?

JA: Yes. They will be in the MIGHTY AVENGERS tie-in.

Question: Are any of the secrets really going to be TMZ stuff? Are we going to learn that someone had a dog-fighting rink in the back of their house or something?

AA: There's at least one TMZ-worthy story that immediately comes to mind. It's arguable that there's at least 2-3 right from the beginning.

TB: I'm writing down "dog fighting."

JA: I'm going to do that Thor dog fighting story.

No Caption Provided

Question: With Jason also the writer for Thor, what will Thor's role be in the event?

JA: In the core series, here's there from the beginning. He's the guy that discovers the body. In the THOR series, Tom, what do we want to say?

TB: I think we can say that Thor has a big juicy secret that's about to land on his head. That'll run through the Thor book and the main series as well.

Question: Who watches Earth when there's no Watcher?

JA: That's a very good question. That's a question brought up in issue #1.

Question: How long is the event?

TB: It's eight issues, twice a month for four months.

Question: You guys mention "The Watcher's eye" but he has two eyes.

JA: Sounds like maybe you've read issue #3? Yeah, he did have two eyes...They'll both come into play somehow.

TB: In issue #6, his nose...

Question: Will all the heroes involved in the mystery become aware of everyone's dark secrets?

TB: Some of them will become aware of some. I don't know if we can say that all of them will become aware of them all. The secrets don't just involve the heroes. It affects the villains and supporting cast members.

Question: It was brought up that AvX ended with the death of a bald guy and this one starts with the death of a bald guy. Tom said this was topical. Are Jason, Tom, and Marvel trying to make a statement on the number of people with bald heads and should people with bald heads in the Marvel Universe fear they're going to get killed too?

TB: Brian Bendis has nothing to worry about.

JA: I've been bald since 1994. I can safely say I have nothing against bald people.

You can read the full solicits for issues 1 & 2 HERE. ORIGINAL SIN begins in May by Jason Aaron and Mike Deodato. The zero issue by Mark Waid and Jim Cheung is out in April.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BR_Havoc

I think I'm done with events for a long time.

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

my questions: Is the spider man in the picture Peter Parker? and I wonder if OMD is gonna get brought up at all, since that 'technically' existed, and The Watcher should know about it?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

So Nick Fury Sr. was alive? And where the h3!! he was during AvX or Infinity?

EliCrofoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't usually like events, but this actually kind of cool. I'm interested, Marvel.

Avatar image for marcosvergara14
    MarcosVergara14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MarcosVergara14

Who shoot Mr.Burns-Volume 2. Joke aside original Nick Fury is back now they finally can kill off the pseudo 1610 Nick Fury Jr

powerplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is getting way too close to bad secret origin stories for my taste. And the last thing the marvel u needs is another spider knock off. It a miracle it turned out as good as it did with Kaine. Doubt that happens twice.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm going to buy this just to support a book staring the REAL Nick Fury. Plus, seems like an interesting story. Curious to see how SpOck is going to work out on the team.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say since the secret is going to be dealt with in Amazing Spider-Man #1 then it's Peter on this team, not to mention the classic looking outfit.

OG Nick Fury is real Nick Fury. Wish Cheung was drawing more than just the #0 issue.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Some people ask stupid questions man.But Daredevil having a tie-in does interest me but if the current team is writing it my hype might deteriorate quickly.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I will read just about anything with Nick Fury in it so I'm pretty excited to see that he has a role. I just hope that it isn't him that messed with Cap's mind as it mentions in the article even though . . . if it was someone close to Cap, it'd be him who would do something like that.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited for this, its good to see Black Panther getting a push

Autopsad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Autopsad

I'll say something very dumb, but Nick Fury (yeaaaaah the reaaaaaaaaaal !!!) lacks an eye, right ? This man's job always was to know EVERYTHING...

That would be too obvious, but this could make sense...

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

A moment of silence for Uatu, please.

Well, Marvel's event fetish aside, I'm hooked.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

i always thought what happened with that spider and what if it mated or was female pregnant when it was irradiated, there could be so many people with spider powers or maybe latent mutated genes that can pass on to their children

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By deadpool25mm

Cant wait! :( Uatu will be missed.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JonSmith

So I'm thinking the radioactive spider bit a young 616 Miles Morales, who without the guidance of Peter's life and death, not to mention having his powers even younger, became a juvenile delinquent of super proportions?

Also: I'd totally read a story about young Thor pitting a young Fenrir against other supernatural dogs, fighting their owners when they lose, and gradually showing that Fenrir is gaining intelligence, learning only viciousness due to all the fighting, and as such becomes a monster because of Thor.

Mxyzptlk_CV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah...I think I'll pass....I will be buying the OGN with Thanos and Starlin instead...

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

i'm interested.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Who shoot Mr.Burns-Volume 2. Joke aside original Nick Fury is back now they finally can kill off the pseudo 1610 Nick Fury Jr

I'm pretty sure this will be Fury's last hurrah

MarcosVergara14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jonny_Anonymous dude way to depressme

nickxh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Nick Fury Sr. was alive? And where the h3!! he was during AvX or Infinity?

Chilling out.

frogjitsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By frogjitsu

Cool, the real Nick Fury is back.

Wolverine's secret is that he is a Brony. We'll learn Prof X had an affair with Jean, and that he was never paralyzed. Aunt May will turn out to be Skrull; Mephisto never saved her. Ben Reily will be revealed to be living in Europe, with the Spider-baby.

I guess there will be no more What If? comics, since the watcher can no longer tell them to us.

And I guess we'll never no if sh*t got serious, or if something monumental happened, because the Watcher won't show up.

JairamGanpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#24  Edited By JairamGanpat

@jonsmith said:

So I'm thinking the radioactive spider bit a young 616 Miles Morales, who without the guidance of Peter's life and death, not to mention having his powers even younger, became a juvenile delinquent of super proportions?

Why cuz he's black? You racist! :p

That60sGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

Secondly, in the world of Spider-Man, we are going to learn that there was somebody else that was bitten by the same radioactive spider that caused the origin of Spider-Man, back in the day. Seeds for that will be brewing in the AMAZING SPIDER-MAN book starting right the new AMAZING #1 and come into fruition in the ORIGINAL SIN series.

They got me hooked the bastards!

jcj145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It sounds interesting for sure, but with what I'm sure will be multiple tie-ins besides the Spider-Man & Daredevil ones which were already mentioned, I think I'll wait and buy this as a trade. I get the feeling it would probably read better that way as well.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mak13131313

Nah...I think I'll pass....I will be buying the OGN with Thanos and Starlin instead...

Me too.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Original Fury!

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FURY.

IS.

BACK.

Jonowatameen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People seem a little over-excited to have Nick Fury Sr, the white man, back again.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm on board

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

I'm in..

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I originally wasn't going to read this, but this series has caught my interest. Having Winter Soldier, among others, also appearing in this series means I'll be checking this out.

In one story, Captain America will learn that somebody close to him has tampered with his memories. Someone has tampered with his mind. Somebody in his immediate orbit and that will have a seismic affect on Cap's relationship with the people around him at a time when he's really supposed to be at the forefront of tracking down the guy that left a dead body on the moon.

I'm assuming this will be dealing with Cap getting his mind wiped early on in New Avengers? I haven't kept up with that series so I'm unaware if that has been touched on again since, but having Cap deal with some of his closes allies tampering with his memories and what they did in the result of that would be interesting.

lpoopcars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Look at the May covers. The spider bit Deadpool.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

my questions: Is the spider man in the picture Peter Parker? and I wonder if OMD is gonna get brought up at all, since that 'technically' existed, and The Watcher should know about it?

Yes! Bring OMD into play!!

scouts1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#36  Edited By scouts1998

Has Jason Aaron written an Marvel event before?

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By adamTRMM

Has Jason Aaron written an Marvel event before?

He wrote two all-time worst X-events that are BOTA and Schism, and he was co-writing AvX. Now, define your opinion.

scouts1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@adamtrmm: I have only read the first 2 wolverine and x-men trades and they were good. So i might read in trade.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I really do have a problem with constant Marvel events every year but I have to say, this Original Sin event actually sounds meaningful. The death of The Watcher, the secrets of the Marvel Universe uncovered by its heroes, a cosmic murder mystery with plenty of twists along the way. If only I weren't so Anti events nowadays, I'd be interested in what Aaron is doing. I will praise him for actually making this event somewhat original and seemingly meaningful. Even the tie ins seem like they'll have more significance to them which is a good sign. But IMO, there hasn't been a truly meaningful event since Civil War that Marvel have produced in all honesty.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#40  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@br_havoc said:

I think I'm done with events for a long time.

same lol. Crossovers between two books for a few months are okay but company wide events that last 6+ months are just annoying and tiresome at this point.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

So far this event seems pretty interesting and I am more excited than I was when I heard about Infinity and I ended up liking Infinity pretty much.Also this is a nice,cool and original idea that JA can turn into something really fun,entertaining and exciting.

Avatar image for jesusdisciple001
    jesusdisciple001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jesusdisciple001
    MarcosVergara14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jesusdisciple001: Thats probably whats gonna happen but i was trying to be positive about the real Nick Fury.

myerlanski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perfect_10: I always wondered what hapened to the spider as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.