Follow

Warren Ellis

Person » Warren Ellis is credited in 1214 issues.

British comic book writer and novelist, well known for his science fiction and horror themed works.

Warren Ellis On 'RED'

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

The writer reveals his sentiments regarding the upcoming film!

No Caption Provided
      If you think it is hard for fans of a graphic novel to come to terms with the idea that a film adaptation will be very different from the original story, then imagine what it must feel like for the original creator? Writer Warren Ellis recently revealed through his BAD SIGNAL mailing list that he he enjoyed the script for the upcoming film adaptation of his book, but that it was not quite like the original comic.

Read the RED script.  Not bad.  Not the book, but not bad. Funny.  Especially when you know the casting.  Very tight piece of work.  Talked to the producers last week.  They're all kind of giddy over the casting coups.  Who wouldn't want to see Helen Mirren with a sniper rifle?

Cast for the upcoming film include Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren, Mary-Louise Parker, and Brian Cox- so the film is obviously not lacking in star power. Artist Cully Hammer also had some positive words which he revealed in a recent interview after having read the script.

"I am totally cool with it," he said. "I understand the fact that, when you translate a comic to a movie, there are going to be some things that are either not going to make the translation or are going to add to it and become more than what you did. And with a comic like this that was three issues long — I mean, we're talking 66 pages — it has to be fleshed out a little bit. So I'm totally cool with that. I am looking forward to seeing it."

It is always a bit more reassuring to hear that the original creators enjoy the script for the upcoming film, so if Warren Ellis digs it, then I guess I can too. What do you guys think?
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Korg
    @Babs said:
    "if Warren Ellis digs it, then I guess I can too."
    Pretty much this. Cast seems pretty solid, and it will be interesting to see how they flesh the story out, since, as Hammer points out, it's a 3-issue miniseries.
    Avatar image for alexander_arkady
    Alexander Arkady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Alexander Arkady

I cant wait for this, like Babs said If Ellis Digs it then im seeing it

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3  Edited By Jotham

I liked Red, but I don't think it would have made a good movie (as it was, I mean). This sounds cool though, and I'll see pretty much anything with Bruce Willis in it.

Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Grendel

Wow, that is not promising if you read between the lines.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Korg
    @Grendel said:
    " Wow, that is not promising if you read between the lines. "
    What are you finding between these lines that leaves you with that impression?
    Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6  Edited By Dr. Detfink

Warren Ellis writes so many damn titles and projects...um, does he have his brain hooked up to a computer while he sleeps?

Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Grendel
    @Korg said:

" @Grendel said:

What are you finding between these lines that leaves you with that impression? "
    " Not bad.  Not the book, but not bad. Funny.  Especially when you know the casting."

Translation: Shit, but the people involved are nice and I wouldn't bite the hand that feeds me.
    Avatar image for alfredpmclovely
    AlfredPMcLovely

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AlfredPMcLovely
    @Grendel:

Thats how I read it too.  If he really liked it he'd write something silly.
    drawme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By drawme
    @Grendel said:

" @Korg said:

" @Grendel said:

What are you finding between these lines that leaves you with that impression? "
    " Not bad.  Not the book, but not bad. Funny.  Especially when you know the casting."  Translation: Shit, but the people involved are nice and I wouldn't bite the hand that feeds me. "
     As long he can live with it, it´s ok.
    crazywolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By crazywolf

I heard RED was a good mini. I plan on picking up the back issues or trade. Hopefully before the movie comes out since I'll most likely check that out too.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.