Trading Views: RED by Warren Ellis & Cully Hamner

#1 Edited by Alicabob (96 posts) - - Show Bio

Babs is by far the most gorgeous women in the world. Hands down. Prove me wrong.

#2 Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by realsilverjunk (333 posts) - - Show Bio
@Alicabob: Any hot Brazilian babe. Seriously man, c'mon. 
In related news, bruce Willis should play the FBI agent Paul. 
#4 Posted by Paireon (16 posts) - - Show Bio

The art reminds me of franco-belgian comic books. Which is a good thing.

#5 Posted by ImperiousRix (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably won't be picking it up, but certainly looks interesting. 
To be honest, it looks more interesting than the movie.  For some reason, I can't get excited for it.

#6 Posted by longbowhunter (9425 posts) - - Show Bio

I bought all three issues of this at a local comic shop for $4.50. I really liked Hamner's work on the Question back up in Detective Comics and that was my sole reason for buying it. Dug the story and the character of Paul. Wish to hell this was a longer read. Still on the fence about the movie.

#7 Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio
@ImperiousRix the movie is definitely different but very fun, in an action movie way.

@longbowhunter I wasn't crazy about the abrupt ending of the comic but it was fitting. More would have been great but the I guess there wasn't anything more to Paul's story.
Avatar image for journey_into_chaos
#8 Posted by Journey Into Chaos (352 posts) - - Show Bio

I have only herd of the movie. i actrully haven't read the comic though.  I may pick up eventrully..

#9 Edited by brundlefly (8 posts) - - Show Bio

I think  Babs and G-Man are missing the point. You aren't supposed to be privy to the atrocities the character committed in his past. That's precisely the point. The only people who know what he's done are Paul, the CIA, and the people he murdered.

#10 Posted by Silkcuts (6040 posts) - - Show Bio

I have the older trade which I think was a better investment.  The older trade had two 3 issue stories.  Not Ellis' best stories, Red was "Meh", but I did enjoy Tokyo Storm Warning.  Ellis does good cyberpunk. 

I agree the new trade is a borrow.  The scripts and sketch I am normally big on, but the book is not worth $15, $10 at most.  The old trade had both stories for $15, so if you split it that is $7.50.... okay... $2.50 is a lot for scripts and sketches.  but $15 is asking too much for it.

#11 Posted by Silkcuts (6040 posts) - - Show Bio
@brundlefly said:
" I think  Babs and G-Man are missing the point. You aren't supposed to be privy to the atrocities the character committed in his past. That's precisely the point. The only people who know what he's done are Paul, the CIA, and the people he murdered. "
I don't think they missed the point.  The story wasn't Ellis' strongest and it does just fly by.  Babs was dead on that Red is not developed enough.  G-Man as does say that "we don't know who to root for", which is the only strong argument to why their is no back story.  I strongly agreed with basically everything Babs said, the book was fun and action packed, but its not a new story told.  The art is good visual narration and because of it, it is like a short film on paper.  This comic should of been a short film over a comic. As skilled as Ellis' is this is one of hims many "Spam" books that bothers me.  Noting wrong being prolific, but when your readers pay for your comics, and your a guy like Warren Ellis... how much money are you trying to grab?

This book is not worth paying $15 for.  It is not Ellis' best work by far.  The movie is loosely based on the book.  I think they got all the points needed.  This is "Red" we are talking about, not Watchmen.  Maybe the only comment missing would to point out the obvious "Seeing RED" because there is a lot of blood shed in the book.  But even then the pages shown were great examples of Hamner's art.
#12 Posted by Mumbles (858 posts) - - Show Bio

might peep this...movie trailer doesn't look good enough to watch movie.maybe redbox it later

#13 Posted by jakob187 (1030 posts) - - Show Bio

WHAAAAAT?!  Linked to Paul Moses and not the RED page?!?!  MAN, THAT SUCKS!!! 

Then again, maybe I'm biased because I wrote the RED page!!!  LOL 

I really enjoy the story of Red.  A lot of people thought that it was too short, while I thought that it was short enough to make me read it again and again.  There's a great level of intrigue that Ellis works into the story, one that makes your mind wander on things.  Moreover, Cully Hamner's artwork is dazzling in this book.  Stuff that you can stare at for longer than imaginable.  Very clean, very crisp, and very concise, just what the book needs. 

The abruptness of the book seems like a trend for Ellis' work with Wildstorm, as Desolation Jones also had an abrupt ending after eight issues.  I can agree that the book COULD'VE been longer, but at the same time, I look back at all of my English Lit. classes where they said that cutting out the fluff and getting to the basics of a story is what keeps a story memorable and great.  That's what Red was for me:  memorable and great.

#14 Posted by gmanfromheck (42524 posts) - - Show Bio
@jakob187: The reason I linked it to Paul Moses and not the RED volume page (which you did do a great job on) is because while volume pages do have forums, you can't easily find them on their page. Volumes don't have a forums tab visible.
#15 Posted by jakob187 (1030 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" @jakob187: The reason I linked it to Paul Moses and not the RED volume page (which you did do a great job on) is because while volume pages do have forums, you can't easily find them on their page. Volumes don't have a forums tab visible. "
LOL  It's cool, I understand.  I just wanted to be a pouty little bitch.
#16 Posted by No_Name_ (16193 posts) - - Show Bio
@jakob187 said:
 I look back at all of my English Lit. classes where they said that cutting out the fluff and getting to the basics of a story is what keeps a story memorable and great.  That's what Red was for me:  memorable and great. "
There's a difference between fluff and depth, and I'm afraid you may be confusing the two. Adding depth and delving into the premise of the story isn't fluff.
Avatar image for the_impersonator
#17 Posted by The Impersonator (8469 posts) - - Show Bio

Paul looks like Lex Luthor
#18 Posted by jws (7 posts) - - Show Bio

I just read (RED) this book this weekend and the story seems too close to the Bourne movies to be adapted directly to the screen.  I think the move to a more comedic touch was the right way to go for this piece.  As for what it is that Moses does that makes having him alive a threat, there are some scenes in the book where he is looking through the sights of a gun and flashing back on some key assassinations (e.g. JFK.)  Clearly this is a man that has done some pretty notorious things for his country.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.