Follow

Warren Ellis

Person » Warren Ellis is credited in 1214 issues.

British comic book writer and novelist, well known for his science fiction and horror themed works.

Interview: Warren Ellis Discusses PROJECT SUPERPOWERS: BLACKCROSS

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Writer Warren Ellis is coming to Dynamite and entering the Project Superpowers world with his new book BLACKCROSS. Ellis answered a few of our questions about the upcoming series debuting in March.

COMIC VINE: What is PROJECT SUPERPOWERS: BLACKCROSS about?

WARREN ELLIS: In the quiet Pacific Northwestern town of Blackcross, something terrible is happening. A man has burned himself to death by the lake, but there's no body. A man under witness protection is under threat. A serial killer is murdering his way towards the town limits. And supernatural figures stare out through mirrors and windows, haunting their own doppelgangers. The alternative history of Blackcross is reaching out through the mist to lay its claws on the real world.

CV: Was there anything you wanted to bring to the Project Superpowers universe?

WE: It was more about what it could bring to me: I'd had an itch to play around with those public domain characters since the 1990s. There's a weird magic to the pulp-inpired characters of that era, and I'd wanted to dig into that a little bit and bring out some of what are, to me, their essential qualities.

CV: How did you get involved in this series?

WE:Nick [Barrucci] and I had been talking about doing something together for a while, and we ended up generating a list of possibilities. I think I was sitting outside a hotel in the Pacific Northwest of America, looking at the trees, when I realised I had a take on these characters. I sent Nick an email, and here we are.

CV: Tonally, how does BLACKCROSS differ from your other recent projects?

WE: It's more of a ghost story than I've done lately: more grounded than SUPREME BLUE ROSE, but with a little of its surreality.

No Caption Provided

CV: Have you worked with artist Colton Worley in the past and how has it been working with him on this series thus far?

WE: I haven't worked with him before, but I really like his style. There's something classical about it. As we've gone on, his style has probably led me to make the story a little more ground-level and realistic than perhaps it might have been. Colton should be drawing brilliant drama newspaper strips in the 1950s/1960s mode. I lover getting his pages back.

CV: What is the connection or ties to past Project Superpowers volumes, if any?

WE: You will find out. I can't answer that without giving some essential stuff away. We all still want to be surprised by the fiction we read, so let's keep some secrets.

CV: What would you say to people on the fence about this new series?

WE: You make it sound like I should be going door-to-door with my hat in my hand. Vote for me! I'm not like those other people. I am your friend.

Thanks to Warren Ellis for answering our questions and check out BLACKCROSS when it comes out in March. Also, check out our early review by clicking here!

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I get a cool "Twin Peaks" vibe from the previews for this.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By jwalser3

Looks promising. I liked the first two a lot.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Been a while since I read any Project Superpowers, also Ellis = Buy.

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

Been a while since I read any Project Superpowers, also Ellis = Buy.

Pretty much. Let's hope he is behind of the ending this time.

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's gonna be strange seeing this go into a horror-mystery path but I trust Ellis.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

FLAME ON!

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Will check out

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I always enjoy the Project Superpowers stuff and this look pretty interesting.

Avatar image for left_my_heart_in_san_franchees
    Left_My_Heart_In_San_Francheesie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't too big on the Project Superpowers, but with Ellis writing? This may be a buy for me. Who am I kidding? I'll be picking it up for sure.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.