Follow

War Machine

Character » War Machine appears in 1572 issues.

War Machine is a superhero originating from Marvel Comics. James "Rhodey" Rhodes is Tony Stark's personal pilot and one of the playboy's oldest friends. Rhodes also known as Rhodey has often donned the Iron Man mantle when the burden has been too much for his friend, but has also established his own identity as the War Machine and Iron Patriot.

so now that iron man 2.0 got canceled...

BritishMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BritishMonkey

how many more issues do we have left?

shame really because i was getting into it

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Novemberx2

Im glad its been cancelled. There was more wrong with this title then was right. I'll say Nick Nick spencer had some good ideas to change the character but the execution was flawed by poor pacing in terms of the story. The beginning lacked any excitement to keep reading, the whole plot had me wondering "hmm surely iron man would be able to solve this". The wasn't much to justify the "upgrade", which in its self was not very good because of questionable design, im up for the idea of stealthy covert ops armor. sadly the design is ugly. we at ten issues in now and despite spencer dedicating far too much time in to developing palmer addley, i don't find the character to be threatening, so i find there to be a lack of any real tension. the changing of art also didn't help. its pretty fair to say calling it "ironman 2.0". because one ironman is not the centre character and two iron man is still vastly superior in terms of armor.

Its rather interesting that the best bit in the series was fear itself tie in. some really good work with iron fist and Asian hero's

marvel cancelled it for poor readership, i imagine many didn't like it for the reason i listed.

Im glad its cancelled because war machine will return to cast of iron man.

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- War Machine has had 3-4 tries now at a series and none of them have been any good

- Changing the name to Iron Man 2.0 for name recognition was a ploy and wasn't going to save this turkey.

- James Rhodes has had multiple tries at a series, even with the publicity form the movies and none have stuck, he is firmly entrenched as a supporting character

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Kallarkz

@WarMachineMarkV said:

he is firmly entrenched as a supporting character

yeah. not quite sure how they can go about getting him out of that.

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By frozenedge2

It was probably because they changed his armor to resemble Tony's newest one so most probably thought it was just a gray colored iron man armor. They seemed to downgrade his armor to where he wasn't even war machine anymore. His name is War Machine for god sakes, he's not supposed to be sneaking around or walking through walls. He's supposed to be covered head to toe in weapons and blowing through walls like his previous armors were.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By BatteredArmor

@frozenedge said:

His name is War Machine for god sakes, he's not supposed to be sneaking around or walking through walls. He's supposed to be covered head to toe in weapons and blowing through walls like his previous armors were.

this on so many levels

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @frozenedge said:

It was probably because they changed his armor to resemble Tony's newest one so most probably thought it was just a gray colored iron man armor. They seemed to downgrade his armor to where he wasn't even war machine anymore. His name is War Machine for god sakes, he's not supposed to be sneaking around or walking through walls. He's supposed to be covered head to toe in weapons and blowing through walls like his previous armors were.

His name IS War Machine but Marvel used Iron Man to sell the book as they didn't expect anyone to buy something with the name "War Machine" on it. 
    frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By frozenedge2

@Vance Astro: I would've bought something with the name "War Machine" on it. Wouldn't you?

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- As anyone can tell from my name and avatar I'm a big fan of the War Machine armor

- I have no problem with the changes making the armor a more well rounded and capable suit for every battlefield application, not just a flying tank.

- It was a great concept, but the execution did not work. The design is ugly as sin, and they took away any look or capability that gave it some kind of legacy connection to the original concept.

Jonny Ruckus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Jonny Ruckus

the War Machine Avengers Initiative armor is by far my most favorite armor.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By CATPANEXE

I give them props for continuing to at least try and shop War Machine and not given up despite low points like they have with so many other characters.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.