Follow

Wally West

Character » Wally West appears in 3140 issues.

Struck by the same lightning bolt that turned his uncle Barry Allen into the Flash, Wallace Rudolph "Wally" West took the name Kid Flash, became Barry's sidekick, and joined the Teen Titans. Eventually, Wally became the Flash to honor his uncle's memory, who died saving the Universe. He also became a member of the Justice League. He married a woman named Linda Park and had two kids, Jai and Iris West II. Currently, Wally is active as the Flash.

Will Post-Flashpoint Wally ever be accepted?

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just curious. A lot of people say things like "He's not the real Wally West," or "He's not my Wally West."

Not totally surprised people are up in arms, but will there ever be a time when pre-Flashpoint fans will come to accept and enjoy Wally West based on his new character or no?

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If it was the real Wally West then yes, he would be accepted. But that kid in the New 52 just took his name and will never be the TRUE Wally West.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@transformers1024: What makes you say he's not the "true" Wally West? Going by current canon, he is Wally West.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

@scouterv:

Maybe in big role, people will accept him.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius: So if he did eventually take on the name of Kid Flash or Impulse and joined a team of Titans or travled into the future to interact with Bartor, do you think he'd be accepted?

Member of a fringe-team like the Doom Patrol, maybe?

Or do you mean like a Justice League-level role?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv:

a big role in comics maybe besides Flash

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As he is currently being written I cannot enjoy him. Bad art and bad writing have sunk the return of a character I really like and given him probably the worst take on his origin story I could imagine(short of some heinous crap like turning him into a serial killer or whatever).

Nearly any character can be used well by a good creative team suited to telling a story with the character. The main problem is is that he is, right now, an irrelevant footnote in Barry Allen's story which shoehorns him into just kind of hanging around, being useless, because he is not allowed to overshadow Barry. Which is probably why he's died twice already.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dredeuced: For a sec, I thought Robert Venditti was going to keep future Wally as a replacement for the 12 yo version. Killing him off the second time is something I honestly didn't expect.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, he's dead to me.

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Well if he picks his future enthusiastic personality he will be liked, i think it's his origin, and behaviour that makes people dispise him.

As for me the real bart allen should come back not the revolutionary leader, or they just change his motive and he comes back to the present.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Why not. All we need is time and some wonderful stories with him.

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Time (and good writing) will tell. But I still miss redhead Wally.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Yes. People will get over it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree:

Remember when Beast Boy was Purple that were good days of Beast Boy

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SilverPool

Probably not soon. It'll take a lot for a writer to make him feel like that character because his origin and motivation are completely different. Not to mention, he's a stereotype and it's difficult to take him seriously. His lack of a father and attitude make him seem like a joke. But only time will tell.

Degalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Look at it like this.

Everyone would have flipped out at the new Ultimate Spider-Man as well, if they had just made Peter Parker some completely unrelated black kid. Instead, Miles Morales is his own, separate person.

This New52 Wally is a completely different person, and it all would have been fine, if they hadn't decided to actually name him, "Wally West", when he's obviously a completely different character.

Honestly, I've stopped caring about DC for the most part. New 52 erased the characters I liked (Bombshell, Jade, Cyclone, etc), and revamped the others I liked into unlikeable and unrecognizeable messes (Wally west, Zoom, Warblade, Creeper, etc)

Commando235

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I accept him. I'm mad it's not the same old Wally and DC had to weave in the whole 'diversity' crap although Marvel now is who I'm more disappointed with conceding that. But after Wally rescues Barry from his future self it was awesome to see he becomes the same selfless hero. The way Wally West died by absorbing the energy was reminiscent of the series finale of Young Justice. Also, any news on the future of Wally West in the new DC Universe? Do the writers have any plans for him?

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I accept him. I'm mad it's not the same old Wally and DC had to weave in the whole 'diversity' crap although Marvel now is who I'm more disappointed with conceding that. But after Wally rescues Barry from his future self it was awesome to see he becomes the same selfless hero. The way Wally West died by absorbing the energy was reminiscent of the series finale of Young Justice. Also, any news on the future of Wally West in the new DC Universe? Do the writers have any plans for him?

He died, so no.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe if he becomes a good character.

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well we're going on 5 years since the New 52 started and people still haven't accepted the new version of Bart.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#22  Edited By Outside_85

As he is, no. And I don't really expect that to change, because I kinda feel like the DCU lost something unique in Wally as he was. He was the only sidekick that really grew up and took over the mantle of his mentor, on top of this he was nearly the only guy who managed to have a functioning family with his wife and kids.

To this I have to point out that Batman's death, and as such Dick's time in the cowl was a temporary thing, always meant to be, Barry's death wasn't. As for the family matter, sure there were husbands and wives around, and there were kids, but how many can you mention where either parent isn't a villain or a lunatic and the kids aren't little monsters.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

Avatar image for graysonofgotham
    graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never. He will never be the real will and will never earn the respect of Wally fans. DC seems to know this but I feel like they think they have something to prove.

kiranx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@transformers1024: i agree.

He some other person who simply stole the name "wally west". Nothing more than that.

If they wanted to intriduce a black character, they should have created a new one. It would have been accepted.

But erasing our read-headed Wally from existence was stupidity.

He was on IGN's #8 spot for a reason.

bakera8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

Just curious. A lot of people say things like "He's not the real Wally West," or "He's not my Wally West."

Not totally surprised people are up in arms, but will there ever be a time when pre-Flashpoint fans will come to accept and enjoy Wally West based on his new character or no?

I think it will take time. He will never be the same character, but I think some people may grow to like the new Wally. But it will take time the Flash writers should not force him on the readers.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chefpool said:

Never. He will never be the real will and will never earn the respect of Wally fans. DC seems to know this but I feel like they think they have something to prove.

Why do you think Wally will never earn the respect of the fans he had pre-Flashpoint?

@kiranx said:

He some other person who simply stole the name "wally west". Nothing more than that.

If they wanted to intriduce a black character, they should have created a new one. It would have been accepted.

So, question.

If Wally and the West Clan were white, and Wally still looked the same as he did pre-Flashpoint, with his post-Flashpoint attitude, would he also not be accepted by pre-Flashpoint Wally West fans? Is the problem the race changing or the attitude? Because if this were a new character, but with this attitude, would you be willing to accept him as a potential replacement for Barry down the line or no?

graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:
    @chefpool said:

Why do you think Wally will never earn the respect of the fans he had pre-Flashpoint?

@kiranx said:

So, question.

If Wally and the West Clan were white, and Wally still looked the same as he did pre-Flashpoint, with his post-Flashpoint attitude, would he also not be accepted by pre-Flashpoint Wally West fans? Is the problem the race changing or the attitude? Because if this were a new character, but with this attitude, would you be willing to accept him as a potential replacement for Barry down the line or no?

For me it is both. His race was a part of who he was. The way you look is a part of who you are. How he acts is a HUGE problem and if Wally were to be white post Flash point but have new "Wally's" attitude I would be upset and hoping they would change it. But that's the thing. If he were to still look like the real Wally but was acting out of character like this New 52 "Wally" they could at least get a new creative team and have him acting like old Wally in no time. You can not however do that to New 52 "Wally's" race. DC should have done what the great Neil Adams did when he wanted a black Green Lantern and create a new character. I would love a new black speedster with a new code name. but not at the cost of them being to lazy to create a new character and making the real Wally West this new unrecognizable character he has become.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chefpool said:
    @scouterv said:
    @chefpool said:

@kiranx said:

So, question.

For me it is both. His race was a part of who he was. The way you look is a part of who you are. How he acts is a HUGE problem and if Wally were to be white post Flash point but have new "Wally's" attitude I would be upset and hoping they would change it. But that's the thing. If he were to still look like the real Wally but was acting out of character like this New 52 "Wally" they could at least get a new creative team and have him acting like old Wally in no time. You can not however do that to New 52 "Wally's" race. DC should have done what the great Neil Adams did when he wanted a black Green Lantern and create a new character. I would love a new black speedster with a new code name. but not at the cost of them being to lazy to create a new character and making the real Wally West this new unrecognizable character he has become.

So, then would you have a problem with Wally now if he acted like pre-Flashpoint Wally (which seems to be where they're going with him,) but looked like his post-Flashpoint variation?

J_L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anybody ever accept when a character is changed from white to black? Course not and you know why

graysonofgotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would accept a black speedster or Flash but not a change of Wally because it changes the character I grew up with. I refuse to take heat for saying that. Characters with years of history should be left alone. I would be just as pissed if Al Simmons was made to be a white dude. I hate the immediate jump to calling someone a racist over this type of thing. At the end of the day I just wish DC would have been creative enough to create a black speedster the way Neil Adams created a black Green Lantern. The big problem is lack of originality. But that is a problem in all of entertainment these days.

kiranx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: i totally agree with @graysonofgotham:

We are not talking about just a race here. What we are talking is legacy. Redheaded Wally was introduced in 1959. In 1986 he took the mantle of the flash. He was the third flash till flash rebirth in 2009.

Wally's character was more evolved than any other flash.

His personal life, his emotions, his character depth, everything.

As i previously mentioned, the new 52 wally is completely different person, the only thing he has common with original wally, is the name.

Basically, what my point is: if the authors were so desperate to bring a new (or black) character, then they should have brought a NEW character. The new 52 wally, let him be black or white, is completely different person. They should have changed his name as well.

If they had introduced this SAME new 52 (black) guy with some other name, then we wouldnt have had any problems to accept him as flash, not at all. Either way, red headed wally was "benched" since rebirth.

I never had any problem with Hal Jordan, nor with John Stewart.

But tomorrow if they make John a white character, and completely change his background, then i will definitely have a problem with that. Why not simply recruit one more green lantern?

Similarly, why not create a new flash?

Look at batman's or green arrow's sidekicks. They keep changing the actual characters. They dont change character but keep the same name. I mean, grayson is grayson. It wasnt like "we need a new character as robin. Lets change everything. Robin's costume, background, his personality and all. But lets not call him jason todd, we will still call him grayson."

Thats what happened with wally.

And thats the one of the reasons why we dont accept new 52 wally.

Again: it has got nothing to do with the race.

It is like a kid demanding for xbox 360 over and over again, and you giving him the black&white handheld tetris game with a "xbox 360" label on it. Thats what happened with the fan's of wally west.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiranx: @graysonofgotham: See, I don't think it has to do with originality or a lack of originality.

Let me ask you this. Who will audiences gravitate to? Bruce Wayne or...some new, unknown character? Not that that character is bored, but change Bruce Wayne? That's a headline. Introduce John McAlister it's...eh. It seems more to me what people will invest in more.

I mean you bring up John Stewart, but he tends to get shafted in favor of other Lanterns most of the Time.

I mean, Wally West is less likely to get screwed than a new or less popular character.

Avatar image for deactivated-5988def3424a7
    deactivated-5988def3424a7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys, this Wally West is not the same person. He's Wally's cousin and goes by the same name, but other than that, New 52 Wally and Modern Age Wally are completely different.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys, this Wally West is not the same person. He's Wally's cousin and goes by the same name, but other than that, New 52 Wally and Modern Age Wally are completely different.

how are they cousins?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: Did you hear the news yet?

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By w0nd

@black_panther18: I just read it.

I thought you were being sarcastic. That is so ridiculous. What was the point of the new 52 if they just brought him back anyway. Now there will be two kid flash' named wally west? they wrote themselves into a corner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: Well, Wally's identity in Rebirth hasn't been confirmed yet. He shouldn't be called Kid Flash anymore cause he looks like he's in his early 20s plus their are already two Kid Flashes (Wally II and Bart Allen). Three Kid Flashes is going to suck so bad!!! Maybe DC will give him a new identity that we don't know of yet. Besides, Wally is joining the Titans where the others already have their established identities (Nightwing for Dick Grayson).

I'm guessing DC decided to bring back the real Wally because the other one got so much negative reception and hate, which I was a part of btw. Anyways, DC explains how two Wallys can co-exist in Rebirth as "cousins", but I'm assuming you know where Wally was during the ten years he was gone from continuity.

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:
    @black_panther18 said:

how are they cousins?

Read the DC Rebirth book. Sucks that you got spoiled :(

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysoulz: oh i dont mind at all. I was asking anyway

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By The_Kidd

They should change N52 Wally's name or at least give him nickname to differentiate the two.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wally's middle name is Rudolph, so maybe the other Wally can have a different middle name. Or perhaps the other one can be called Walter.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.