Follow

Creator-Owned

Publisher »

In terms of quantity, it is much more common for characters to be creator-owned (or company-licensed) than owned by their publisher. However, in comics two of the biggest publishers worldwide (DC and Marvel) traditionally own all their characters. This page is meant to help distinguish characters that are owned by the creator from those owned by the publisher in cases where it's not immediately obvious.

Vetigo with numbered spines

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

Edited By Silkcuts

Vertigo has never been good at keeping order in their presentations.  Some series have numbered spines, some don't, some jumped into numbered spines randomly.  I wonder what the masses want?  I am assuming numbered spines because it makes things easier to jump into a series blind.

The following are examples.

Series without numbers:

• 1st printing of Sandman
    • Hellblazer (Still never fully collected)
    • Vinyl Underground
    • 1st printing of  Preacher
    • The Dreaming (Never fully collected)

Series jumping into numbers random:
    • The Invisibles (Vol. 1-6 1st printing do not have numbers... all printing of vol.7 have a #)
    • Northlanders (Vol. 1 & 2 1st printing don't have numbers, I have seen numbers on Vol. 3, yet to see one without a number.)
    • Shade the Changing Man (1st vol. no numbered spine, then it was reprinted with a new cover to continue collection... okay that makes some sense to the madness).
    • Books of magic (This was an abandoned recollected series... collected up to issue 50, Vol.1 first printing has no numbered spine.)
    • Doom Patrol (Vol. 1 first printing has no numbered spine.  Later Grant Morrison run was fully collected with new covers.)

Series with numbered spines always:
    • Fables (always had numbers)
    • jack of fables
    • The Losers
    • Human Target (Series was abandoned collected wise with 2 trades, TV tie-in trade renumbered)
    • the unwritten
    • Animal Man
    • Y: The last man
    • Sweet Tooth
    • The Unknown Soldier
    • Greek Street
    • The Exterminators
    • Testament
    • House of mystery
    • The Un-men
    • Loveless
    • Air
    • Scalped  
    • Madame Xanadu
    • Young liars

This makes no sense.... fables is one of the older series and it always had numbers.  So was Vinyl Underground and Northlanders pitched as mini series? The Invisibles is weried only number 7 has a number. There maybe more of these funny vertigo things but it it weird to me.

I didn't list 100 bullets and Transmet since my Vol. 1s are not a 1st printing... I know I suck.. so I can't confirm it never having a vol. # or not.... 

Feel free to add to these lists or discuss whats up with Vertigo?  Why are they so confused?  Maybe they need to give Berger the boot?
    DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

A year plus late but nice blog. Numbering is helpful, especially to the casual reader who doesn't flip a couple pages to find out what issues the trade is composed of.
    I've goofed on some series and read them out of order.I like that Fables has kept the numbering so far but I wish they had kept up with the little symbols above the numbers like on Vol.11-13.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

It angers me that Hellblazer doesn't have numbering.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By fodigg

As a former retailer I have to vote strongly in favor of numbered spines.

mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

DMZ and 100 bullets have numbers. so does the losers... well the other printings before all the trades were merged into 2 huge books. depends on the printings. and if they do not, they routinely have a play on the numbers in the titles of the books, like 100 bullets. first trade: first shot last call. 4th trade: a foregone tomorrow

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Billy Batson

I don't care that Hellblazer doesn't have numbering. I read it randomly and it's kinda fun :p
    BB

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.