Follow

Creator-Owned

Publisher »

In terms of quantity, it is much more common for characters to be creator-owned (or company-licensed) than owned by their publisher. However, in comics two of the biggest publishers worldwide (DC and Marvel) traditionally own all their characters. This page is meant to help distinguish characters that are owned by the creator from those owned by the publisher in cases where it's not immediately obvious.

Transmetropolitan, Preacher, and Sandman..... Overrated?

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By IrishX

I'm not saying they are because I'm not completely knowledgeable about them but I hear a lot about them and what I usually think is that people think it's the "cool" thing to like these comics. Maybe the stories are really great so maybe they deserve such praise but I think the art is seriously lacking in all three of them.  

I have read a little Trans and the swearing and much of it comes off as childish to me.  

I realize what I've just typed is probably considered blasphemy to some but I just can't help but wonder if they are overrated.

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

Nope, Sandman is UNDERrated if anything. It is one of the greatest series ever written, no question.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Methos

Preacher definitely isn't overrated... 

it's one of the most fantastic reads you'll find. Not only is it well written and well thought out, but it's actually done in a way that appeals to an adult audience instead of spelling everything out for a nine year old reader to understand. 

Sandman as well, fantastic read... Transmet... some like it, some don't... personally i love it, but i can understand people who don't like it. 

M

AMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By AMS

It would be best to read them yourself and make your own judgement. 

Avatar image for cezar_thescribe
    Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe

I agree, they are overrated.   I don't buy MAX or Vertigo "adult" books.

@IrishX
    said:

I have read a little Trans and the swearing and much of it comes off as childish to me.      

Me too, cursing doesn't belong in comics.
    AMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AMS

What is overrated about Sandman then?
    Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe
    @AMS said:
    "What is overrated about Sandman then? "

Put a code on it. :p
    Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Methos
    @IrishX said:
    "I have read a little Trans and the swearing and much of it comes off as childish to me."

Just thought i'd check, are you actually old / mature enough to buy these comics and understand the themes behind them? 

If you think they're overrated, then perhaps you're not understanding them properly 

M
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Korg

Preacher is good, though everyone suffers from Dillon face. The Sandman is simply incredible. Personally, I love Transmetropolitan, it's probably my favorite book ever.  I don't think any of these series are overrated. 

@Cezar_TheScribe said: 

" I don't buy MAX or Vertigo "adult" books."

This makes me sad.    
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By IrishX
    @Methos said:
    " @IrishX said:
    "I have read a little Trans and the swearing and much of it comes off as childish to me."
     Just thought i'd check, are you actually old / mature enough to buy these comics and understand the themes behind them?  If you think they're overrated, then perhaps you're not understanding them properly  M "

I'm over 30......  and I didn't say they were overrated I just asked if anyone else thinks they may be.

I haven't read them so I can't misunderstand them. This is really more about how it's cool to like certain things.  

Part of my motivation to make this thread comes from this one... http://www.comicvine.com/forums/gen-discussion/1/what-comic-company-doesnt-suck/579161/#67 

More specifically these comments by our resident Vertigo lover Aztek... 

• The Sandman, one of the greatest comics of all time
  • Preacher, it's mostly talked about by morons who don't understand why it's so awesome but it is a great comic
  • Transmetropolitan, if you don't love this book it's because you can't handle truth
  •  
    There are plenty of regular books out there but a major reason to read comics is that you have beautiful art to go along with it. I have yet to see anyone mention the art in these comics. Does anyone like it or think it's good?

AMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AMS
    @IrishX: 

Check out Sandman: The Dream Hunters if you want to see art.
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

@aztek the lost said:
    " in general though, I know a lot of people shy away from Vertigo because of art (which I find ridiculous, keeping everything the same style is the exact opposite of the definition of art), I feel what EGN expressed a few days ago in a Humberto Ramos thread...

I hate how if you don't draw like Jim Lee your art is considered terrible

"
    That is true, I did say this
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Will Dillon ever receive the respect he deserves? 

Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Theodore

Transmet is awesome and Sandman is one of the best written comics I've seen. I haven't got around the The Preacher yet.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Video_Martian

Nowadays, Batman, Green Lantern, and the X-Men are WAY more overrated than any of those series are.

brc2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By brc2000

Nope sorry. Any recognition they get is well deserved.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@Korg said:
    " Preacher is good, though everyone suffers from Dillon face
    That's a good way to put it
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By IrishX
    @aztek the lost said:
    "In conclusion, they all were part of DC's own "After Watchmen" event and are constantly pushed by the publisher themselves so this isn't just me (the guy who's opinion you disagree with) pushing them, it's the industry itself, they are definitely not overrated.  P.S. Silkcuts, my fellow Vertigo lover, finds Preacher to be overrated if that helps your argument. "

Thanks for the reply. I'm not arguing either way.... just asking what people think.
    Cezar_TheScribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Cezar_TheScribe
    @Korg said:
    "Preacher is good, though everyone suffers from Dillon face. The Sandman is simply incredible. Personally, I love Transmetropolitan, it's probably my favorite book ever.  I don't think any of these series are overrated. 

@Cezar_TheScribe said: 

" I don't buy MAX or Vertigo "adult" books."

This makes me sad.     "

You're welcome.   
    Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Pizawle

I have not gotten around to reading these series yet, so I cannot comment on this particular case. However, in any case where something is highly regarded, there are a group who says it is overrated. I feel it is always nonsense. Maybe they do not personally like it, and hey that is completely fine, but just because you do not enjoy something does not mean your word is law. And the more likely truth in these cases is that the people's claims of overrated on these highly regarded works has little to nothing to do with their feelings on them and instead just stem from the desire to seem 'cool' for going against the tide or from a lack of understanding which causes them to lash out. 

And while quality may indeed be mostly or all subjective (though I do not personally believe that), when the majority feels something is this great, then it probably is (as long as the majority is a sensible group, unlike the imbeciles who support all the abysmal trash in mainstream music).

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By IrishX
    @Pizawle:
    I wonder if you misunderstand the point here. It's not that anyone is saying these are bad series but I'm merely asking if they are overrated. By definition that does not mean they are bad but possibly "rated to highly". 

When I hear or see stuff like "greatest series no question" it makes me think overrated. When I see things like "If you don't like it then you just don't understand it" it makes me think overrated. 

I love the last sentence where you say the majority is correct unless they disagree with you. (Atleast that's how it reads to me)
    mrtrickster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By mrtrickster

simply said, no.

Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pizawle
    @IrishX said:
    " @Pizawle: I wonder if you misunderstand the point here. It's not that anyone is saying these are bad series but I'm merely asking if they are overrated. By definition that does not mean they are bad but possibly "rated to highly".  When I hear or see stuff like "greatest series no question" it makes me think overrated. When I see things like "If you don't like it then you just don't understand it" it makes me think overrated.  I love the last sentence where you say the majority is correct unless they disagree with you. (At least that's how it reads to me) "
    I completely understand. Where do I say they think it is bad? 

Those comments are hyperbolic but most people, especially on the internet, speak like that. Perhaps they are overrating it in those cases but it does not really count due to the nature of such a statement.

And that is not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying as long as there is a reasonable judge of quality present, then the majority is probably on to something. 

Not really sure why you took every part of my post in such a negative manner

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.