Follow

Creator-Owned

Publisher »

In terms of quantity, it is much more common for characters to be creator-owned (or company-licensed) than owned by their publisher. However, in comics two of the biggest publishers worldwide (DC and Marvel) traditionally own all their characters. This page is meant to help distinguish characters that are owned by the creator from those owned by the publisher in cases where it's not immediately obvious.

I'm beginning to like them

Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

I started reading Transmetropolitan and Preacher and I gotta say....

THIS IS AWESOME

Gloom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Gloom

Then try Sandman and Lucifer and Books of Magic!

THEY'RE AWESOME, too! ^^

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Nighthunter

Any really good miniseries?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Haven't read anything good from yet..except Fables.

HobGadling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By HobGadling

Sandman alone makes them king.  The others are just icing on the cake.  Really good icing.  With candles.  And presents.  Expensive ones.

Their titles are transcendent.  It's really not fair to compare any other comics with them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gloom said:
    "Then try Sandman and Lucifer and Books of Magic!

THEY'RE AWESOME, too! ^^"
    Cool!

Is Constantine/Hellblazer any good?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

Avatar image for gideon_external
    Gideon_External

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gideon_External
    Vance Astro said:
    "Haven't read anything good from yet..except Fables."
    then u have seriously no taste in comics
    Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Last_Guardian
    TheDrifter said:
    "Gloom said:

Cool!

Is Constantine/Hellblazer any good?"
    yes.last time i read them, which was like 5 months ago, they were very good..

honestly, I'd recommend almost any book coming out pf Vertigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obi Wan Kenobi! said:
    "TheDrifter said:
    "Gloom said:

Cool!

honestly, I'd recommend almost any book coming out pf Vertigo"

Cool.

You read Preacher? It's awesome
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Gideon_External said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    then u have seriously no taste in comics"
    Well seeing as how Marvel outsells the crap out of them I read mostly Marvel..My guess would be I have better taste than you think.
    Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Darkchild
    Vance Astro said:
    "Gideon_External said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    Well seeing as how Marvel outsells the crap out of them I read mostly Marvel..My guess would be I have better taste than you think."
    Better taste because you read Marvel? PLEASE tell me your joking, Other than Messiah Complex what has Marvel done in the past 10 years besides Kill its most treasured charcter and wipe out almost all mutants.

I am not saying Vertigo tromps marvel but COME ON, if you read only Marvel and say by reading it that you have better taste than a person who reads something else than your a complete and utter fool.
    Last_Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By Last_Guardian
    TheDrifter said:
    "Obi Wan Kenobi! said:
    "TheDrifter said:
    "Gloom said:

Cool!

Cool.

You read Preacher? It's awesome"
    Yeah I read it...i can't believe HBO passed up on it >_<

@Vance: ...Marvel is a great for the superhero genre and all but when it comes to darker and intellectually deeper stuff it's Vertigo...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know

HBO

WTF

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Darkchild said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "Gideon_External said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    Well seeing as how Marvel outsells the crap out of them I read mostly Marvel..My guess would be I have better taste than you think."
    Better taste because you read Marvel? PLEASE tell me your joking, Other than Messiah Complex what has Marvel done in the past 10 years besides Kill its most treasured charcter and wipe out almost all mutants.

I am not saying Vertigo tromps marvel but COME ON, if you read only Marvel and say by reading it that you have better taste than a person who reads something else than your a complete and utter fool."
    1.Other than Messiah Complex? House of M,Civil War,Secret Invasion,Silent War,World War Hulk..be serious.
    2.Kill it's most treasured character? Last time I checked Spider-Man was still alive.If you talking about Captain America..you just making stuff up.Cap's comic could afford to take a different turn.They didn't wipe out all the mutants..just a bunch of insignificant ones
    3.I never said I read ONLY Marvel..I said I read MOSTLY Marvel.Vertigo is no comparison.I haven't read anything from Vertigo except FABLES because I don't know anyone who reads this stuff..nobody has ever recommended anything from Vertigo when I walk in the comic shop.That is not to say I don't read comics from other companies.I read comics from Image,Dynamite,DC,and Wildstorm..but Marvel occupies my interest the most.You can't say I have no taste in comics because I don't want to gamble on a company only comic book readers know and end up buying a comic I don't like.You are aware comics cost money,correct?
    Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Darkchild
    Vance Astro said:
    "Darkchild said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "Gideon_External said:
    "Vance Astro said:

I am not saying Vertigo tromps marvel but COME ON, if you read only Marvel and say by reading it that you have better taste than a person who reads something else than your a complete and utter fool."
    1.Other than Messiah Complex? House of M,Civil War,Secret Invasion,Silent War,World War Hulk..be serious.
    2.Kill it's most treasured character? Last time I checked Spider-Man was still alive.If you talking about Captain America..you just making stuff up.Cap's comic could afford to take a different turn.They didn't wipe out all the mutants..just a bunch of insignificant ones
    3.I never said I read ONLY Marvel..I said I read MOSTLY Marvel.Vertigo is no comparison.I haven't read anything from Vertigo except FABLES because I don't know anyone who reads this stuff..nobody has ever recommended anything from Vertigo when I walk in the comic shop.That is not to say I don't read comics from other companies.I read comics from Image,Dynamite,DC,and Wildstorm..but Marvel occupies my interest the most.You can't say I have no taste in comics because I don't want to gamble on a company only comic book readers know and end up buying a comic I don't like.You are aware comics cost money,correct?
    "
    Ok lets take that statement apart

1.Alright ill correct myself HOM was awesome but Silent war could have done without, CW a means to an end to making a publishers comics less sucky, SI HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, WWH another means to an end in making a character even more powerful and creating more comics that dont need to be made. Yes some of its issues were awesome im not denying that but as an over all comic arc BLEH

2.Spiderman...really were going that route at he is a most treasured. Yes but they have changed his character so far he isnt what we once treasured anymore.

3. Are you serious, you dont see anyone who recoomends lets say PREACHER one of the publishers best comics. Not saying Hellblazer one of its longest running comics to date with 200+ issues isnt a great series. YEs the movie company may have f@#ked the comic over by putting it to movie adapt an sucking the life entirely out of the comic and having no direct similiarites beside the main characters name but hey. Vertigo comics is a different take on DC comis, in some aspects i say its MUCH better than their main line of DC comics because it points out teh crap in life. Yes i know comics pertaining to real issues are often lets not sugar coat it they suck on a big level, but alot of the issues continue to be awesome.

and to answer your smartass comment yes i know comics cost money.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Darkchild said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "Darkchild said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "Gideon_External said:
    "Vance Astro said:

"

1.Alright ill correct myself HOM was awesome but Silent war could have done without, CW a means to an end to making a publishers comics less sucky, SI HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, WWH another means to an end in making a character even more powerful and creating more comics that dont need to be made. Yes some of its issues were awesome im not denying that but as an over all comic arc BLEH

2.Spiderman...really were going that route at he is a most treasured. Yes but they have changed his character so far he isnt what we once treasured anymore.

3. Are you serious, you dont see anyone who recoomends lets say PREACHER one of the publishers best comics. Not saying Hellblazer one of its longest running comics to date with 200+ issues isnt a great series. YEs the movie company may have f@#ked the comic over by putting it to movie adapt an sucking the life entirely out of the comic and having no direct similiarites beside the main characters name but hey. Vertigo comics is a different take on DC comis, in some aspects i say its MUCH better than their main line of DC comics because it points out teh crap in life. Yes i know comics pertaining to real issues are often lets not sugar coat it they suck on a big level, but alot of the issues continue to be awesome.

and to answer your smartass comment yes i know comics cost money."
    Most of this stuff is just made up or personal opinion.
    1.You obviously don't like Marvel or you have a personal distaste for their major events.When all the money rolls in Marvel is aware people are actually reading these books.In my personal opinion those were all great books..the fact that you don't agree doesn't make your taste any better than mine.

2.How is Spider-Man not the most treasured character Marvel has.He's their damn mascot...So far he isn't treasured anymore? Go to Nobody's Spider-Man thread and see for yourself.Spider-Man is still good and people still like it.

3.The comicbook shop I go to has one Preacher trade paperback that has been their since I started going there almost a year ago.I have never seen Hellblazer there.Nobody,not even the people in the comicbook club at my school have ever recommended either to me.Someone suggested I read FABLES a while ago..I did and it wasn't bad.I wouldn't put it above anything Marvel has done but it was a good read.I don't care about real issues.Saying Vertigo is better than DC because it goes after real issues is ridiculous.How about making a superhero people actually care about how about that? I read comics for the heroes,the action,the powers.I don't give a damn about real issues in a fantasy world.I deal with real issues everyday,

Basically what your doing is giving you opinion on why you think Vertigo is better.I'm not knocking your opinion.You entitled to that..but for someone to say I have no taste in comics because I don't read comics made by a certain company is ridiculous.You know how many times I tried reading comics on reccomendation and they ended up sucking? I didn't come into this thread to disrespct Vertigo...but they don't make many comics that are appealing enough to me to tear myself away from X-men,Secret Invasion,Daredevil,Wonder Woman,Trinity,Criminal,Avengers and so on and so forth.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    Obi Wan Kenobi! said:
    "TheDrifter said:
    "Obi Wan Kenobi! said:
    "TheDrifter said:
    "Gloom said:

Cool!

Cool.

You read Preacher? It's awesome"
    Yeah I read it...i can't believe HBO passed up on it >_<

@Vance: ...Marvel is a great for the superhero genre and all but when it comes to darker and intellectually deeper stuff it's Vertigo..."
    If I cared about darker and intellectually deeper stuff than maybe I would have read more Vertigo.
    Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Darkchild
    Vance Astro said:
    "Darkchild said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "Darkchild said:
    "Vance Astro said:
    "Gideon_External said:
    "Vance Astro said:

"

and to answer your smartass comment yes i know comics cost money."
    Most of this stuff is just made up or personal opinion.
    1.You obviously don't like Marvel or you have a personal distaste for their major events.When all the money rolls in Marvel is aware people are actually reading these books.In my personal opinion those were all great books..the fact that you don't agree doesn't make your taste any better than mine.

2.How is Spider-Man not the most treasured character Marvel has.He's their damn mascot...So far he isn't treasured anymore? Go to Nobody's Spider-Man thread and see for yourself.Spider-Man is still good and people still like it.

3.The comicbook shop I go to has one Preacher trade paperback that has been their since I started going there almost a year ago.I have never seen Hellblazer there.Nobody,not even the people in the comicbook club at my school have ever recommended either to me.Someone suggested I read FABLES a while ago..I did and it wasn't bad.I wouldn't put it above anything Marvel has done but it was a good read.I don't care about real issues.Saying Vertigo is better than DC because it goes after real issues is ridiculous.How about making a superhero people actually care about how about that? I read comics for the heroes,the action,the powers.I don't give a damn about real issues in a fantasy world.I deal with real issues everyday,

Basically what your doing is giving you opinion on why you think Vertigo is better.I'm not knocking your opinion.You entitled to that..but for someone to say I have no taste in comics because I don't read comics made by a certain company is ridiculous.You know how many times I tried reading comics on reccomendation and they ended up sucking? I didn't come into this thread to disrespct Vertigo...but they don't make many comics that are appealing enough to me to tear myself away from X-men,Secret Invasion,Daredevil,Wonder Woman,Trinity,Criminal,Avengers and so on and so forth.
    "
    ALright ill leave 2 and 3 cause well three made sense and dont want to knock it other then saying their are alot of minis that Vertigo has done that top some of the ongoings in marvel still going.

1. No i have been an avid Marvel reader for quite sometime, Ill admit i stopped reading religiously after the Legacy Virus for the sheer fact they killed my fav character...and i was running out of money. I just dont see Marvel making any GREAT NEW ideas, yes No More Mutants was an awesome idea just...taken badly. Yes the CW was a cool idea...just the end result sucked. I do not have a personal distaste for Marvel I just havent seen anything new or exciting from them other than a few awesome issues or the Punisher MAX series which i will admit i love cause of the gore,blood, an violence. I have in the recent year moved more towards DC because I wont say its changed drastically the stories just draw me in alot more than the Marvel arcs do.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best Comic Publishers :

1. Marvel

2. DC (and Vertigo and Wildstorm)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

aztek the lost said:
    "TheDrifter said:
    "Best Comic Publishers :

1. Marvel

2. DC (and Vertigo and Wildstorm)"
    -_-

aztek the lost said:
    "Vertigo has a unique style of comics, and after reading Vertigo its hard to not read a Marvel comic and wonder..."how the heck does this company make any money?"

VERTIGO IS THE BEST!!!"

not only that...but that's also the most narrow-minded view of the comic book world EVER, you just listed the two biggest comic book publishers in the order of their size...throwing in a few subsidiary companies...that is pathetic...first off Vertigo is #1 and secondly Chaos! is #2...Marvel is somewhere else in the Top 5"
    DC owns them both, So I just lumped them together.....

Regardless, I'll say

Marvel

Vertigo

DC

Wildstorm

are my top four. And lets face it, You read Chaos! for Ladys Death's cleavage alone and you know it :P

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By danhimself

is there more issues of fables after issue 75?

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25  Edited By Nighthunter

DC owns them both in quality (well I can't really say about vertigo though lol)

Justice Starr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By Justice Starr
    aztek the lost said:
    after reading Vertigo its hard to not read a Marvel comic and wonder..."how the heck does this company make any money?"

VERTIGO IS THE BEST!!!"
    This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard since i've been on comicvine.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justice Starr said:
    "aztek the lost said:
    after reading Vertigo its hard to not read a Marvel comic and wonder..."how the heck does this company make any money?"

VERTIGO IS THE BEST!!!"
    This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard since i've been on comicvine."
    Vertigo is like 2 or 3.

Only because of there art.....but other than that, They're awesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But Marvel is best :)

Brackett111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Brackett111

'The Extremist' comes to mind, as well as 'Enigma', 'Death: The High Price of Living', 'Heavy Liquid', 'Faker', and 'The Other Side', among many others.  Vertigo is actually a great publisher to look at to find a plethora of great miniseries, as well as one-offs, and original graphic novels.  This is due in part because of their relatively small readership in the comics world, as well as a tendency to publish densely plotted material that lends itself well to self-contained, cinematic story lines

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By John Valentine
    TheDrifter said:
    "I started reading Transmetropolitan and Preacher and I gotta say....

THIS IS AWESOME"
    Good for you.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.