Follow

Creator-Owned

Publisher »

In terms of quantity, it is much more common for characters to be creator-owned (or company-licensed) than owned by their publisher. However, in comics two of the biggest publishers worldwide (DC and Marvel) traditionally own all their characters. This page is meant to help distinguish characters that are owned by the creator from those owned by the publisher in cases where it's not immediately obvious.

Berger confirms she lost the characters she started with.........

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

Edited By Silkcuts

http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/showthread.php?21644-Karen-Berger-Confirms-DC-Characters-To-Leave-Vertigo

Karen Berger Confirms DC Characters To Leave Vertigo

Respectfully, we informed you of this event at an earlier yadda yadda yadda...

Karen Berger, Executive Editor of Vertigo at DC Comics, has just confirmed on the Vertigo panel at San Diego Comic Con that all Vertigo characters rooted in the DC Universe are being returned to the editorial mandates of the DCU offices.

This included a Swamp Thing series in production, but that everything was worked out amicably. And she was insistent that Vertigo is at its very best when creating new and interesting comics.

Bleeding Cool recently reported that this was new policy a few months ago and that China Meiville's five-issue-written new Swamp Thing series was a casualty of that. We also reported the cancellation of Madame Xanadu, a character even more recently a DCU property.

Though, with his impending nuptuals, it looks like John Constantine, as ever, will be the exception.

what does this mean for HoM?  Are they next?  Will John Constantine end soon, with Marriage just so they can bring him back to the DCU?

I pray John Constantine stays at Vertigo... it would be ashamed to throw away all those years like that....
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Nighthunter

Hellblazer is for Vertigo what Batman is for DC or Spider-man for Marvel, there's no way he is going to DC

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Silkcuts
    @aztek the lost:  You mean the Annual?  Yeah it would make sense that HoM is next... So they honestly won't let Hellblazer hit 300?  That is bull.  

it is obvious now Vertigo is rebuilding, but really... with the loss its had so far... fan support has to be effected and brand imagine has to be tainted...
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By sexy_merc

This is stupid. They're going to get the Animal Man/Doom Patrol treatment. I doubt Hellblazer will be moved though.

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Silkcuts
    @Nighthunter said:
    " Hellblazer is for Vertigo what Batman is for DC or Spider-man for Marvel, there's no way he is going to DC "
    I don't think anyone more then me is praying that is true.  John Constantine may have lost all his DCU friends, but he has changed way too much to permanently bring him back to the DCU.  

When Zatanna's monthly launched there was mentions somewhere that Dini was going to include John Constantine in his stories... they better just make the movei Constantine the DCU one and keep Vertigo's as is!  It is wrong to take away his right as the only old school Vertigo left, especially on his 25th anniversary.
    Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Silkcuts
    @Sexy Merc:  I pray it doesn't....
    Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Silkcuts
    @aztek the lost said:
    " you know during that Paul Dini interview ComicVine posted I kept worrying he was going to mention plans for Constantine...considering Con is in a "relationship" with Epiphany right now that would just screw things up "
    " yeah...the last annual had all Vertigo's DC-owned comics involved (except I, Zombie which I find odd since its creator-owned but it seems to be a part of the DCU?) but if they kill off all that...the annuals can't keep happening without just being an assortment of unconnected stories

@Sexy Merc said:
    " This is stupid. They're going to get the Animal Man/Doom Patrol treatment. I doubt Hellblazer will be moved though. "
    exactly, Animal Man and Doom Patrol...not even the same characters as they were under Vertigo aside from name...I really hope they won't cancel Hellblazer and considering at the same SDCC they announced future storylines for it they probably won't be cutting it, at least not for this reason "
    Okay you guys are keeping my faith that JC will be safe.  I pray Dini doesn't touch JC... Everyday Magic was fairly weak...  So I guess Alec, Abby and Tefe are getting rebooted.
    I think Tefe should stay at Vertigo... since she her Bio-dad is the flagship character.  Make her the vertigo Swamp Thing again, get BKV to try a 2nd time with her.
    ForbushBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By ForbushBug

Eh, there were books that spent years under the main DC umbrella before the Vertigo imprint was created and they worked just fine. Sandman, Black Orchid, Animal Man and Doom Patrol were pretty far out-there while still interacting with the DCU. The Dominator meta-gene bomb from Invasion turned Rhea Jones into a faceless nude woman with an eye on her chest who helps the Doom Patrol fight a creature who says he's God and gets his power from the pain of thousands of pinned butterflies. That's pretty outside the box and still in the DCU. Even Vertigo legend Transmetropolitan started out under the brief Helix imprint. And in the end they all answer to the same powers that be, it's not like DC hands Berger a check and say  "go buck wild on weird comics" and pays no attention to the output. There's some cases, like the Losers, where I don't know why it was a Vertigo book under than being for mature readers. Not like anything happened that would be impossible to have occured in the DCU. I just think maybe people are lighting their torches and sharpening their pitchforks a tad early.

ForbushBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By ForbushBug
    @aztek the lost said:
    " @ForbushBug: I think the problem is your looking at the beginning (the mistake I believe people constantly make in this argument) rather then the end...yes these comics began under DC but things were different back then (almost 20 years ago!), there was no imprint for them to work under, the imprint was made so they could flourish even more and they did...however in recent years, we have seen what DC has done when taking characters back from Vertigo and that track record is pretty atrocious as far as preserving what Vertigo did (Animal Man, Doom Patrol, Human Target) and Madame Xanadu was interacting with the DCU in her book actually so there was no justifiable reason for the book's cancellation "
    Madame Xanadu also had low sales, it was on borrowed time regardless. Maybe if it had the marketing that DCU books get over Vertigo that may not have been the case. I remember those great Sandman ads when it was still a DC book. And while the imprint may have helped some books flourish, we saw the end of mature and experimental books in the main DCU. I loved the mature reader Question series but you don't see things like that anymore. This may bring back some of the spirit that started those proto-Vertigo books in the first place. I got that feeling while reading Morrison's Seven Soldiers. It had the creativity and philosophy of his work on Animal Man and Doom Patrol, such as examining sexuality in Bulleteer, yet it was still a DCU book. That's what I like to see in mainstream books rather than just regulated to niche products. I want the creativity and the continuity. Maybe it's optimistic to think that  changing the picture in the corner of a comic cover can do that but it's no more unrealistic than thinking the same thing spells doom for the characters within.
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Well this is disappointing, but at least it looks like Constantine will stay where he belongs

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By johnny_spam

Well It's a good thing allot of these characters Vertigo was just sitting on so it's better they get some good use in the DCU the only reason I could think of that they stayed was some stupid rule that never made sense Vertigo has moved on to being about original creations from writers and artists and it's better that way people may call DC greedy but they are a business and would like to make money and if they think there is potential here then no one should get mad at them for that.   

It's not like it's Yorrick Brown DC wants or Sven it's characters written by multiple writers over the years already used by more then one person. 

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By NightFang3
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    " Well this is disappointing, but at least it looks like Constantine will stay where he belongs "
                  Yeah, It really but maybe things will pick up later on.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.