zack_freeman's Vengeance of the Moon Knight #10 - Team Player review

Avatar image for zack_freeman
  • zack_freeman wrote this review on .
  • zack_freeman has written a total of 351 reviews. The last one was for

Review: Vengeance of the Moon Knight #10

Moon Knight reflects on his membership in the Secret Avengers while they go about the covert op of saving hostages from Captain Barracuda on oil platform.

The Good

I continue to be absolutely floored by the amount of detail Ryp is able to pack into a single panel, let alone a whole page. I never thought I'd come across a comics artist who could give Geof Darrow a serious run for his money, but here he is.  I just want to frame every piece, because these characters are absolutely popping out of genuine environments - - not generic impressions. Hurwitz's angle of Moon Knight almost being this killer zen psychopath is deeply intriguing and the perspective he presents of MK's involvement in the Secret Avengers is reason enough to pick this up. It feels real, and scenes like MK splitting an arrow in half on an thug's blade to take out two others are just sublime. Captain Baracuda makes for a great villain - - a scavenger of other capes' weapons - - and I just love the way Ryp renders the destructive power of his glove and the monstrous majesty of the sea beasts he summons.

The Bad

Even though Hurwitz's script addresses and pokes it fun at it, the fact that Valkyrie is part of what's supposed to be a stealth team of Secret Avengers is just patently ridiculous. The white knuckle edge of this issue is almost killed every time she appears with her white winged horse.

The Verdict - 4.5/5

I've been a fan of Ryp's work since his days of doing Robocop comics for Avatar Press.  I'd give this comic a high rating for his art alone, but luckily, Hurwitz's script is a knock-out too. It is absolutely criminal that Ryp isn't a superstar and I hope his stint on this comic is a step toward him getting wider recognition. Honestly, I can't guarantee that this comic is your preview to the next big thing in comics but, damn it, it should be. Just look up Frank Miller's Robocop for more evidence.