Follow

Velocity

Character » Velocity appears in 159 issues.

Velocity is a teenage super-speedster and a member of the cybernetic super-team CyberForce. She is a redhead with snow-white skin and a black bolt-shaped tattoo around her right eye. Fellow CyberForce member Ballistic is her older sister.

Early Review: Velocity #3

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Carla has a limited amount of time to to get the antidote to her infected friends and teammates. Can she do it, or will something to big, for even her, stop her?

The Good

One thing I appreciate more than anything else, when jumping on a new book, is the opening catch-up page. Everything I've read at Top Cow has this opening page, and it is great for new reader, who may feel lost in the herd. The first thing that caught my eye was the line art by Kenneth Rocafort. It has this wild, sketchy style mixed with some of the more serious, robot based anime's I've seen in the past. The best was to describe the line a would be "controlled chaos." It's one of those few times I'd follow a book just because I loved the art. Because of this, we get some really cool character design. (mainly the robot and ship design) I also quickly started noticing the panel composition on each page. It was non-traditional, but really pushed the pace for the action scenes. If I could describe it in one word: rad-tacular. The panels are, for the most part, four sided, but instead of being rectangular, most times, they are more trapezoid shaped and it really catches your eye. This leads to the second to last page of the story. Without giving it away, the art is great and the panel pacing is superb. I loved the use of silhouette, close-ups, and line work.  

The Bad

The first thing I noticed, when I flipped through the issue, is that the caption boxes are unreadable. I really hope it's just the copy I have. The caption boxes have a light green background and the lettering is in orange. These two colors do not work together, and I understand why the colors were chosen, but I don't want to have to squint and bring the book up to my nose just to read dialogue. Another not-so-great moment for me were two pages in the beginning of the book where the action was flipped horizontally. You literally have to turn the book sideways for two pages to catch the action, and while it may not be annoying for the person who has a physical copy of the book, the people who are reading the issue digitally may find it a bit frustrating. The only other problem I had with the issue is that I really didn't care for the character. I have recently come to love a lot of what Ron Marz and Top Cow has put out, but they usually stick more towards super-heroes based on the world of the occult. This book reads more as a female Quicksilver or Flash. It's a so-so character, based on what I read in this issue.

The Verdict 3/5 - Borrow (Digital Copy) 4/5 Recommended (Physical Copy)

Bad Jumping-on Point
    It's the second to last issue in the mini-series, so I can't say this is a must have issue, and it's not a place a new reader needs to jump on to, but this may be a great mini-series to pick up as a whole, if it comes out in trade. Although I wasn't the biggest fan of the character, this is a book I'd read just for the art and composition. If you've been enjoying the mini-series, continue reading it. If you haven't been reading it, borrow it from a friend. 

UPDATE:

Ron Marz made mention on twitter that the PDF version of the book, which I read, had some issues with the captions and colors. I checked out the book at my local shop and the difference between the two is like night and day. The caption boxes are incredibly easy to read, and it seems like the problem was just in the PDF file. As for the 2 pages where you have to flip the book around, again, it looks so much better in print format, and it flows very nicely. I enjoyed it so much more this time around. I could understand the character much better, and even though I stated I didn't like the character. I'll put it this way. A little bit of easy to read inner-dialogue goes a long way.
    Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Video_Martian

Looks like just another lame rip-off of the Flash =/ 

Her costume looks pretty cool, though...

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I really wish we, as comic book fans, could get past how characters look similiar. There is really only a limited range of powers that one can pull from so there will eventually be repeats, its just the nature of the beast. Its like how there are gods in mythology that even covered the same thing. The Greeks had two gods of war for instance.

Now that my mini rant is out of the way, I actually was considering picking this title up to give it a try, but the dialog boxes were what stop me from picking it up. I am hoping they change their minds, I really hate when companies use colors other then white and black for dialog.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Mercy_

Fix

Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Joe Venom

Nice review guy! 

I wonder how fast she is?
    I wonder if I can fit in that costume?
    I wonder how long it takes for her to put on that costume?
    I wonder if her costume can fit in a ring?
    I wonder if the Flash would sue her if she did? 
    Green is my favorite color.
     I wonder if she is a natural red head?
    I wonder if this will be in my pull list 2moro?
    I wonder who would play her in a movie (Natalie Portman)?
    I wonder how she got her name?
    I wonder how well Narnia did the box office? I fell asleep..
    I wonder why I can't stop watching Pokemon?

Gothic Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Gothic Storm
    @mr.obvious:  Shocking as it may seem, Velocity has been around the Image and Top Cow world since Marc Silvestri created her in 1992. She is certainly no lame rip-off of The Flash. Her age, personality, background story, hair color, skin color, "tatoo" on her face, costume, oh and the fact that she is a... well... "SHE" pretty much shuts that argument up. 

You as a DC fan are entitled to your own biased opinion though.
    Nuec_Sol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Nuec_Sol

I already got this mini series on my pull list so I hope the caption box boxes aren't that bad. If those boxes are the same as the other issues I won't have a problem reading them.
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Eyz

I'm intrigued by this one!

Planewalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Planewalker
    @mr.obvious:
    So how many speedsters are out there, is everyone a Flash copy I don't thing so... it's not the power that makes a great character! 
    longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By longbowhunter

I read a preview of this book the other day and also had a hard time reading the dialogue.
    Maniac2312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Maniac2312

Velocity was one Top Cow/Image character I DID like.  Her new look looks intresting, I may take Infer's advice and borrow this to see if it's woth me getting.

--Anubis--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By --Anubis--

sounds interesting

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Trodorne
    @Planewalker said:
    " @mr.obvious:So how many speedsters are out there, is everyone a Flash copy I don't thing so... it's not the power that makes a great character!  "
    well if the character is part of another comic company you have to assume that the speedster is not a copy of the flash. but as far as i know Quicksilver,Speedster, Velocity, Flash x2, Kid Flash, Max Mercury, Reverse Flash, and Black Flash.
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By IrishX
    @Gothic Storm:
    Well said. 

"This book reads more as a female Quicksilver or Flash."      

I read the first issue of Velocity and one of my favorite lines in it was when she busts Flash's @ss about being able to go through walls.  
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @IrishX said:
    "@Gothic Storm:
    Well said. 

"This book reads more as a female Quicksilver or Flash."       I read the first issue of Velocity and one of my favorite lines in it was when she busts Flash's @ss about being able to go through walls.   "

@Trodorne said:
    " @Planewalker said:
    " @mr.obvious:So how many speedsters are out there, is everyone a Flash copy I don't thing so... it's not the power that makes a great character!  "
    well if the character is part of another comic company you have to assume that the speedster is not a copy of the flash. but as far as i know Quicksilver,Speedster, Velocity, Flash x2, Kid Flash, Max Mercury, Reverse Flash, and Black Flash."

@Planewalker said:
    "@mr.obvious:So how many speedsters are out there, is everyone a Flash copy I don't thing so... it's not the power that makes a great character!  "

@Gothic Storm said:
    " @mr.obvious:  Shocking as it may seem, Velocity has been around the Image and Top Cow world since Marc Silvestri created her in 1992. She is certainly no lame rip-off of The Flash. Her age, personality, background story, hair color, skin color, "tatoo" on her face, costume, oh and the fact that she is a... well... "SHE" pretty much shuts that argument up.   You as a DC fan are entitled to your own biased opinion though. "

@Nova`Prime` said:
    "I really wish we, as comic book fans, could get past how characters look similiar. There is really only a limited range of powers that one can pull from so there will eventually be repeats, its just the nature of the beast. Its like how there are gods in mythology that even covered the same thing. The Greeks had two gods of war for instance.  Now that my mini rant is out of the way, I actually was considering picking this title up to give it a try, but the dialog boxes were what stop me from picking it up. I am hoping they change their minds, I really hate when companies use colors other then white and black for dialog. "

@mr.obvious said:
    "Looks like just another lame rip-off of the Flash =/  Her costume looks pretty cool, though... "

Check out the update. My problem was that I couldn't read the caption boxes, so the character seemed bland. I read a physical copy and enjoyed it much more. She's got a great tongue-and-cheek sense of humor.
    Om1kron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Om1kron

Wow, I am amazed that Velocity was a popular enough Cyber Force character to even spawn her own series, people actually care about Cyber Force still? what about their Psylocke knock off Psyblade or whatever? lol 

Way to Marvel your characters Top Cow

Nuec_Sol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nuec_Sol

I just just got done reading this issue and the dialog boxes where easy enough to read.
    cassus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cassus

Have you ever done a colourblindness test? Orange on green is (supposedly) very much readable, unless you are (like me) red green colourblind. There are tests on the internets to check if you're colourblind or not. Or, if you know you can't read red text on green background or green on red, you're pretty much colourblind. Red on Green or green on red is the same as yellow on blue or blue on yellow. Yellows and blues I can read just fine, red green, no dice. 

Just thought I'd share some knowledge :)

Comicbookgal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By Comicbookgal

Was this ever collected into Trade because I'd love to check it out.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By ReVamp

Aah. Velocity. Part of Cyberforce. Didn't think that I'd be seeing a thread on her.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.