Follow

Valiant/Acclaim

Publisher »

Valiant Comics began as an imprint of Voyager Communications, established in 1989 in part by former Marvel editor-in-chief Jim Shooter. It was discontinued in 1996 after being bought out by Acclaim Entertainment. After Acclaim closed its doors in 2004, the publisher was revived as Valiant Entertainment and has been publishing new material since May 2012.

Valiant to Bring Their Characters to the Big Screen with DMG

• 56 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Valiant Entertainment – the award-winning comic book publisher with a library of more than 2,000 characters, including X-O Manowar, Bloodshot, Harbinger, Shadowman, Archer & Armstrong, and more – and DMG Entertainment, the Beijing-based leader in global entertainment, today announced a new partnership to span motion pictures, television, publishing, and licensing that will culminate in the big screen debut of Valiant’s universe of characters in theaters around the world.

In conjunction with this new partnership, DMG has made an eight-figure (USD) series C round of equity investment into Valiant, which the company will use to further its efforts in international publishing, film, television, licensing and beyond. DMG has dedicated an additional nine-figures (USD) of film financing capital toward the production of theatrical films and television programs based on Valiant's library of iconic superhero characters.

In total, the new agreement is the first deal of its kind brokered between an internationally based entertainment company and a leading independent publisher of comic books and graphic novels. Utilizing DMG’s expertise in international film development, production, and distribution, Valiant will begin to establish its cinematic universe in the United States, China and beyond. Current Valiant feature films in development include the previously announced BLOODSHOT from Sony Pictures in partnership with Original Film; SHADOWMAN in partnership with the Sean Daniel Company from a script by J. Michael Straczynski; and ARCHER & ARMSTRONG, also with the Sean Daniel Company from a script by Ben David Grabinski; among others. Valiant has also already begun development on several television projects.

The unprecedented partnership between Valiant and DMG offers both companies the ability to develop and co-produce tent-pole theatrical films for distribution and release simultaneously in the United States, China – the world’s fastest growing film market with more than $4.8 billion in box office receipts in 2014 – and the rest of the world.

“Global markets, like China, offer the greatest opportunities for monetization from merchandising, licensing, as well as revenues from film and television properties. Comic superheroes are the most lucrative and sought after IP for movie franchises, so taking a stake in the last independent massive comic universe is a strategic investment for DMG that will produce movies and TV that are both appealing and relevant to a global audience,” said DMG CEO Dan Mintz. “We are excited by the opportunity to bring these incredibly engaging characters and their stories to the big screen.”

Beyond film alone, DMG and Valiant will work in concert to form China-focused licensing partnerships for Valiant's stable of characters in areas such as Chinese language publishing, animation, online gaming, toys, apparel, live events, theme parks, and more, with a focus on bringing Valiant’s iconic heroes to new audiences in China and Asia-Pacific.

DMG Entertainment has a proven track record of introducing celebrated superheroes to the Chinese/international marketplace. In 2013, the Beijing-based studio and production company co-produced and co-financed Marvel Studios' IRON MAN 3 – the highest grossing foreign film of 2013 and sixth highest of all time in China­. DMG is currently co-producing high-octane thriller AUTOBAHN, starring Anthony Hopkins, Ben Kingsley, Felicity Jones and Nicholas Hoult; and the extreme actioner POINT BREAK, directed by Ericson Core; both films will hit screens worldwide in 2015.

"Valiant's iconic stable of intellectual property and world class management team coupled with DMG's unmatched skill with entertainment brand building in China make a formidable partnership," said Valiant Chairman Peter Cuneo. "We will look forward to introducing some of the most popular superheroes of all time to the world's fastest growing market across all media forms.”

“Audiences in China and the rest of the world are hungry for heroic stories that they can more easily relate to…and with the international box office accounting for the biggest piece of the total gross, the time is right for a truly international superhero franchise. DMG will bring its unique global perspective to the task of transforming the Valiant Universe into the first international comic-movie universe,” said DMG President Wu Bing.

Celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2015, Valiant is one of the most successful comic book publishing companies in the history of the medium with more than 81 million comics sold and a library of more than 2,000 distinct characters. Established by a brain trust of legendary comics creators – including former Marvel Editor-in-Chief Jim Shooter; seminal Iron Man writer and artist, Bob Layton; and the visionary writer and illustrator of Wolverine: Weapon X, Barry Windsor-Smith – Valiant's heroes and villains inhabit the largest independently owned superhero universe anywhere in comics.

Re-established in 2005 as Valiant Entertainment with a best-in-class management team that includes Chairman Peter Cuneo, CEO & Chief Creative Officer Dinesh Shamdasani, COO & CFO Gavin Cuneo, President of Licensing, Promotions & Ad Sales Russell A. Brown, Publisher Fred Pierce and Vice Chairman Jason Kothari, the company returned to great commercial and critical success in 2012, winning a Diamond Gem Award for Publisher of the Year and numerous industry awards and accolades. To date, Valiant’s titles consistently rate among the best reviewed in comics.

"Today marks one of Valiant’s biggest milestones yet with a huge step towards bringing the Valiant characters to the big screen and forging the foundation of the first truly international cinematic universe,” said Valiant CEO & Chief Creative Officer Dinesh Shamdasani. “By bringing Valiant’s biggest heroes to theaters around the world in concert with our new partners at DMG, we look forward to making Valiant not only an iconic name in comics, but global entertainment as well.”

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

That is pretty sweet to hear.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

i feel they can pull a joined cinematic universe better than the big two.

and idc what gets made most of valiant's books are great

BigMan1227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@soa: I think their joined cinematic universe would be good (maybe better than DC even), but if the MCU begins making more films as good as Winter Soldier it would be hard to tell

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Nice to see some other publishers trying to get their characters on the big screen

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Scott Adkins as Ninjak...Make it happen!

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@soa: I think their joined cinematic universe would be good (maybe better than DC even), but if the MCU begins making more films as good as Winter Soldier it would be hard to tell

I don't think it's just the quality of individual films he's referring to (I could be wrong though). In the books, their titles seem to be connected tightly but still naturally and don't feel forced/gimmicky/"easter-eggy" which can happen in some of MCU's films.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Hell Yes!

Congratulation Valiant!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

@bigman1227 said:

I don't think it's just the quality of individual films he's referring to (I could be wrong though). In the books, their titles seem to be connected tightly but still naturally and don't feel forced/gimmicky/"easter-eggy" which can happen in some of MCU's films.

Also with Valiant there is no WB or Disney telling them what to do, they have control over their own movies.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

too bad it took this money to finally have some news on the valiant movies that have been in the pipeline for months. i want harbinger and archer and armstrong!!!!

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Music to my ears.

SWagner017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is pretty exciting to news!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

too bad it took this money to finally have some news on the valiant movies that have been in the pipeline for months. i want harbinger and archer and armstrong!!!!

I think Archer & Armstrong could be a real cool Indiana Jones\Da Vinci Code style movie.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

Valiant Cinematic Universe. Nice.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Interesting deal and incredibly good news.

Also,.... SHADOWMAN!

Please invest some of the money into a new ongoing series as well!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great to hear. It'll be interesting to see how this affects the comics. Hopefully it gets the name out there more and gets their books to sell over the 10K mark at least.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-O Manowar trilogy please!

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Interesting deal and incredibly good news.

Also,.... SHADOWMAN!

Please invest some of the money into a new ongoing series as well!

@donfelipe: Yeah we need him back!

Despite Shadowman's recent ongoing being less perfect he's still my favorite Valiant character. I want another Shadowman book so bad.

This is fantastic news. I'm anxious to see some of these projects get off the ground.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@longbowhunter: He has a special place in my heart since he was the first Valiant character I ever heard of.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's good.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Some deserved RECOGNITION and respect for VALIANT!!!!!!!!!

~MiB

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
    HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous:

Well, damn. This is a big move for Valiant, I hope they pull this off and (by their success) it lights a fire under DC's a$$ to make good movies for their Cinematic Universe!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@longbowhunter: How was it? Did it hold up?

I met Shadowman writer/artist Bob Hall awhile back and wanted to read some older stuff. It was pretty dated; ponytail, saxophone, some clunky dialogue, nothing I didn't expect. It wasn't without merit, I thought there were some pretty good stand alone stories in there and the #0 issue was really good. I'm making my way through the Bloodshot Valiant Masters now.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is still space on the small screen

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great news!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is great news! That is assuming they make great movies and not crap movies. But Bloodshot could pretty easily be a kick-ass action flick. Shadowman seems harder to do, same with A&A. Hopefully they get quality talent on the creative side of things, sounds like they got the money for it.

Avatar image for everybodyhateschris
    EverybodyHatesChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yay! Comics are moving forward! I like this however I am afraid that Valiant may have jumped in too deep too quick. Valiant characters are loved but may not be easy to be accepted by the general audience unless it is delivered well. I am hoping the best but I would have done 3 films first maybe less to test it out. That is a lot of money and gamble to take quick. Either way good luck and I hope to see the first film soon.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

...Quantum and Woody?

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Harbinger film is what i am most excited about.

I love Shooters run, don't get me wrong.

However, Dysart should be the writer for that movie.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

I would lost to see Bloodshot on the big screen.

Where's @i_like_swords at raving about Ninjak in TV and movies??

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yay! Comics are moving forward! I like this however I am afraid that Valiant may have jumped in too deep too quick. Valiant characters are loved but may not be easy to be accepted by the general audience unless it is delivered well. I am hoping the best but I would have done 3 films first maybe less to test it out. That is a lot of money and gamble to take quick. Either way good luck and I hope to see the first film soon.

Well Valiant have done everything very slowly and thought everything out before they movie forward so far so I'm sure they will continue to do so.

derekvang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool! Now it's time for Valiant to shine and get some recognition for how beautiful their work's been done

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
    deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rfvchbw jhedcbljdcbwejofbrejhbfuoerbfuob45cewj

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet. I want a unity cartoon.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

This news has me more excited than almost all future movies from Marvel (not a shot at Marvel, I'm just really excited for Valiant). The potential is massive for these properties and I hope that this means Valiant will be able to grow as a competitor in the comics market.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwalser3 said:

X-O Manowar trilogy please!

There likely waiting before they try something that would be as CGI heavy as an XO movie

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

...Quantum and Woody?

Seconded, it is the obvious choice. The world is inundated with comic book shows and movies, but nothing with as much foolish fun as Quantum and Woody.

webheadcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If there is an Aric of Daica on the big screen I will lose it.

Avatar image for saiyan_earthling
    saiyan_earthling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kritikalmassx said:

Scott Adkins as Ninjak...Make it happen!

I was thinking the same thing! Hi 5!

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet! I really need to start reading Valiant

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would lost to see Bloodshot on the big screen.

Where's @i_like_swords at raving about Ninjak in TV and movies??

Sweet. I want a unity cartoon.

No Caption Provided

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

aggregatejeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Archer and Armstrong !!! Couldn't be more excited . Then they need to make glad and Ivar thier own movies that slowly tie the brothers mythology together . Would be mind blowing

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.