Follow

Valiant/Acclaim

Publisher »

Valiant Comics began as an imprint of Voyager Communications, established in 1989 in part by former Marvel editor-in-chief Jim Shooter. It was discontinued in 1996 after being bought out by Acclaim Entertainment. After Acclaim closed its doors in 2004, the publisher was revived as Valiant Entertainment and has been publishing new material since May 2012.

Valiant First Initiative Launches Six New Titles, Including RAI

• 76 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

2014 is going to be another big year for Valiant as they announced today that they will be launching six new titles in upcoming months, with their new Valiant First initiative.

Enter VALIANT FIRST, a brand new publishing initiative primed to unleash a major #1 new series debut monthly throughout 2014, beginning this May with RAI #1 – the FIRST ISSUE of an all-new ongoing series from New York Times best-selling writer Matt Kindt (Mind MGMT) with fully painted interiors by superstar artist Clayton Crain (X-Force)!

An astonishing new vision of the future! The year’s biggest, most ambitious crossover event! The worst team-up in history! And an epic tale of love and high adventure! Valiant’s next phase begins this May with VALIANT FIRST!

"The defining goal of VALIANT FIRST is to give readers clear and accessible jumping-on points into Valiant’s award-winning publishing line," said Valiant Executive Editor Warren Simons. "Over the past two years, Valiant’s approach to the craft and business of comics has been widely imitated throughout the industry. We’re incredibly flattered by that fact, but we also see it as a challenge. Our response is to raise the bar even higher. We've been building momentum with a slew of awards and the best reviewed line of books on the market – but 2014 is where you’ll see us double our game without doubling the size of our publishing line."

"The VALIANT FIRST line-up was very specifically chosen, and will continue our 'slow and steady' approach to growth. You won't see Valiant putting out more than nine core titles a month in 2014. We're focused on quality over quantity, and we'll be working hard to make sure that every VALIANT FIRST book is as good as anything else in the industry. You only have to look at the first wave of VALIANT FIRST titles to see that commitment – books like RAI #1 and ARMOR HUNTERS #1 are going to state our ambition with a vengeance," said Valiant Publisher Fred Pierce.

Each month, VALIANT FIRST will debut an all-new series by some of the premier storytellers in comics today with new #1 issues featuring Valiant's biggest, brashest and boldest characters.

Here are some of the titles you can expect to see in the upcoming months.

No Caption Provided

RAI #1 (May)

Written by Matt Kindt

Art by Clayton Crain

A VALIANT FIRST ongoing series! Matt Kindt and Clayton Crain are about to prove that there is nothing else in comics like RAI!

In the far future of 4001 A.D., Japan is a single endless city-state, governed by a benevolent artificial intelligence and policed by an army of just one – the mysterious Rai, spirit guardian of the rising sun. But, soon, a single bullet will shatter the peace it has taken 2,000 years to secure…

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Aside for that RAI preview, they also released the covers and info for five other books.

No Caption Provided

ARMOR HUNTERS #1 (June)

Written by Robert Venditti

Art by Doug Braithwaite

A Valiant Universe crossover event! This summer, Earth will be the greatest hunt of all when VALIANT FIRST unleashes the first issue of 2014's must-read mini-series event!

A relentless and surgical strike team from the farthest reaches of space – sworn to exterminate the X-O Manowar armor and all like it – have found finally their last target. They will hunt. They will trap. They will kill. And they will rid the universe of the X-O Manowar’s incalculable destructive power…even if it means taking the Earth with it.

In the tradition of the universe-changing HARBINGER WARS, Valiant's biggest heroes launch into the summer's blockbuster 18-issue crossover event right here in ARMOR HUNTERS #1 – and then take the fight to the world's first full-scale cosmic threat with new arcs of UNITY and X-O MANOWAR beginning in June, and ARMOR HUNTERS: BLOODSHOT and ARMOR HUNTERS: HARBINGER beginning in July!

No Caption Provided

ARMOR HUNTERS: BLOODSHOT #1 (July)

Written by Joe Harris

Art by Trevor Hairsine

The most dangerous weapon in the Valiant Universe has come in from the cold. With Earth under siege by the Armor Hunters, Bloodshot is the only thing standing between the destruction of the extraterrestrial intelligence agency known as MERO and the liberation of one of the Armor Hunters' own.

No Caption Provided

ARMOR HUNTERS: HARBINGER #1 (July)

Written by Joshua Dysart

Art by Robert Gill

Because you demanded it! Out of the ashes of Harbinger Wars, the volatile psiot strike force known as Generation Zero step into their very first adventure – and right into the crosshairs of the Armor Hunters!

No Caption Provided

THE DELINQUENTS #1 (August)

Written by Fred Van Lente& James Asmus

Art by Kano

It’s the world's worst team-up when Archer & Armstrong meet Quantum and Woody! We apologize in advance for what can only be described as a swashbuckling, conspiracy-smashing, partner-trading, goat-fueled race across the USA!

No Caption Provided

THE DEATH-DEFYING DR. MIRAGE #1 (September)

Written by Jen Van Meter

Art by Roberto de la Torre

World-renowned parapsychologist Dr. Mirage and her husband Hwen were madly, deeply, stuff-of-legends in love – until the day a tragic accident stole Hwen away. Now, Dr, Mirage will have to use every ounce of her training and talents in the mystic arts to do the one thing Hwen taught her never to do – journey across the realms of Deadside and bring her love back to the land of the living.

For sneak peeks inside each monumental VALIANT FIRST release, follow VALIANT FIRST on Tumblr at ValiantFirst.tumblr.com for exclusive looks at costume designs, in-process artwork, and more top secret snippets from Valiant HQ! In 2014, when you're looking for the most exciting books on the stands, look for VALIANT FIRST!

No Caption Provided

Valiant First launches in May with RAI and the other books will follow monthly, afterwards. What do you guys think about all these new titles? What are you most excited for?

HeckTate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

Can't wait for The Delinquents, that combo can't possibly go wrong.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

AWESOME! I can't wait for Armor Wars!

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By ShadowSwordmaster

Some of these sounds pretty cool.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although still no Ninjak,... :(

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I haven't read any of the Valiant comics yet (though I did pick up a sampler that had 5 issues in it I've yet to read) but that Rai comic, just looking at the art - I'm going to have to get it. Kept looking at the panels and I was speechless.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Is the armour hunter titles replacing their old books? Just curious, since it mentioned that they'd be releasing 9 titles at a time in 2014 and Valiant already has more than 3 atm.

Nahuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

F*************************************CK!

Look at the ART of Rai!!

Seriously! DAT ART!! my skin is like chicken right now...

I already said good bye to all of the Marvel books I was reading because of Valiant and now it seems i'm gonna have to do the same with some of the DC books I follow.

Wow... Rai, The Delinquents and Doctor Mirage has already hooked!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

Doctor Mirage interests me the most.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The art for Rai looks amazing! Definitely checking it out!

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These all look and sound great, but I have to admit, I'm not particularly happy about this. I love the Valiant books I'm reading, but I started reading most of them because they where not constantly mired by crossovers and events. I'm not going to have the budget to read all of the books, which will likely lead to me just saying screw it and dropping them all. I guess I was giving myself false hope that they would try to be different than DC and Marvel. Maybe I'm overreacting and need to process this a bit more, but I'm just not a fan of crossovers and events.

movieartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've been praying and praying for Crain to get full interior dutys, and now OMG, it's more breathtakingly blade runneristicly beautiful than I ever imagined.

If only he could have reached this potential while at marvel :/

(To be clear i loved his x-force and carnage work but they where still a little too bogged down, dark and muddled, sense coming to valiant he has cured himself of that)

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#13  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@maccyd: Bloodshot has been cancelled, it's ending with the Armor Hunters also some of these are mini's, I think Rai is the only new ongoing.

movieartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By movieartman

That armor hunters bloodshot cover by Philip tan is really great also, hmm oh i really REALLY hope they pick tan to be crains alternate on rai, that would be perfect.

If not that I hope tab gets some interior work as well period

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clayton Crain causes me to automatically want Rai without even reading the synopsis. His covers and the little bit of interior work he did on Eternal Warrior have been fantastic.

Armor Hunters is looking very promising.

I'm going to be dropping Q&W and A&A after this month. I've read every issue but it just isn't for me. That'll make some room for the new titles.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainhoopla: they aren't going to go over 9 ongoing books and that crossover only happens with 3 of them so I don;t see the problem, not to mention just dropping them all makes absolutely zero sense.

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ando123

This is awesome valiant is one of the best comic book enterprises¡

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate: the only new ongoing is Rai, the rest are just mini's

fACEmelter88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

Clayton's art is so good and worth the price alone and glad Rai doesn't look like a Bloodshot twin anymore. The Delinquents....so looking forward to the trouble those 4 get into. Oh and I still loves me some Harbinger.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By longbowhunter

Roberto De La Torre has been killing it on Shadowman. Doctor Mirage will at least be a good looking book.

cobracaptain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cobracaptain

wow! looks awsome!

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

That right there, Marvel & DC, is the proper way to relaunch a character... with absolutely breathtaking art. I don't know one single thing about Rai, and it doesn't matter. Crain's art is selling that book to me. Looks like I'll be subscribing to my very first Valiant title.

smith0725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nahuel:

Yeah... the art... that is SERIOUSLY amazing!!

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kidchipotle

I'm confused about these new titles…maybe @jonny_anonymous can help shed some light since he seems to know about this stuff. Are Bloodshot (& Hard Corps) and Harbinger ending and then getting relaunched as Armor Wars: Bloodshot and Armor Wars: Harbinger? Or are these more cross-over books like Harbinger Wars was?

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rai... O_O that art alone has me sold! I'm putting it in my pull list immediately! Are the other titles miniseries for on goings though?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm confused about these new titles…maybe @jonny_anonymous can help shed some light since he seems to know about this stuff. Are Bloodshot (& Hard Corps) and Harbinger ending and then getting relaunched as Armor Wars: Bloodshot and Armor Wars: Harbinger? Or are these more cross-over books like Harbinger Wars was?

Armor Hunters: Bloodshot and Armor Hunters: Harbinger are tie in mini series, Bloodshot & H.A.R.D Corps will end with the Armor Hunters mini (Initially I thought they meant it would end for good but now I'm not sure) but Harbinger will continue along side the Armor Hunter mini.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Hm, I see. And you said Delinquents and Dr Mirage are mini-series as well? Rai is the only true ongoing?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Hm, I see. And you said Delinquents and Dr Mirage are mini-series as well? Rai is the only true ongoing?

Dr Mirage and Rai are actually ongoings, the rest are just mini's

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
    YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Gonna pick up Rai just for the art.

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That looks like Crain's best work ever, Always been a fan of his but sometime he gets lazy when doing backgrounds. I must say the background in Rai look gorgeous!

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

And yet STILL no Ninjak? I thought he was a shoe-in for 2014.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee said:

Dr Mirage and Rai are actually ongoings, the rest are just mini's

Ah okay, thanks mate!

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

If Valiant keeps this up we're not going to have The Big TWO anymore but instead The Big THREE. (+)

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

YES!! 2014 is gonna be great for Valiant!!!

but with so many new awesome comics coming from Image, Mavrel and now VALIANT, how the hell am I going to afford all these!?!?!?!??!

movieartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Omg think of this quality of crain on a Spider-Man or ghost rider 2099 book dear god

Lamenoire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yung_ancient_one: I honestly think it's already Big Three with the third spot being a competition between between Valiant and Image though Valiant looks like they may take the lead with this announcement

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

since its a cross over wouldn't armor hunters not count as "new" ?

do like rai and delinquents maybe check out dr mirage , only title i dropped from valiant so far is shadowman the new art /arc is not really doing it for me . glad to see valiant is growing though

Avatar image for thesmallvillefan12
    TheSmallvillefan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

definitely getting the Delinquents

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#42  Edited By Strider1992

Seriously 6 titles and no Ninjak!? Valiant thou hast earnt my wrath!

EvilPenguin543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sounds great! Rai looks awesome! Still no Ninjak though...

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

@strider92: I know but maybe they have some big planned for the Ninjak series .

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The big 3 is already DC, Marvel, Image but Valiant's books are equal to the Big 3's best books.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All this but no Ninjak?

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Mr_Colossus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By Mr_Colossus

These look pretty awesome. I have a question though:

Are these going to be new reader friendly?

I don't have any experience with Valiant, but these look like they could draw me in. However, if it brings me in to something I have no clue as to what is going on it would be very off putting and make me not want to pick them up. Anybody have a clue as to if these are just spawning off of what is already going on in Valiant or if these will be for new readers as well?

InFamous_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Clayton Crain causes me to automatically want Rai without even reading the synopsis. His covers and the little bit of interior work he did on Eternal Warrior have been fantastic.

Armor Hunters is looking very promising.

I'm going to be dropping Q&W and A&A after this month. I've read every issue but it just isn't for me. That'll make some room for the new titles.

What didn't you like about Q&W? I was thinking about buying some of the issues.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WOW, this is amazing Armor Hunters crossover looks awesome and RAI OMG!!! RAI!!!

Valiant > DC + Marvel

When i read the Valiant editor saying that he was going for the best book instead of publishing many books like DC and Marvel, it made me laugh so much. Valiant is the best.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.