Follow

Utopia/Asteroid M

Location » Utopia/Asteroid M appears in 473 issues.

Asteroid M was Magneto's lair in orbit over the Earth. Destroyed, rebuilt & replaced various times; Asteroid M was destroyed in the sun & eventually fell to Earth after a conflict with the X-Men.

Hard Life On Utopia?

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CATPANEXE
    New Mutants #15
    New Mutants #15

This hadn't occurred to me before in full, but Utopia, the home of many of the planets mutants, has no stores. There's not even Wal-Marts, or CVC Pharmecies, or a Gamestop, or a comic book store, or a Carls Jr. Not even an Orange Julius! Can you fathom what living their must be like? You can't just go to the store and get whatever, so everything is as is provided, smuggled or shared. Maybe now would be a good time to make amends with Emma Frost after you called her a name the other in your mind and she overheard it, she has a lot of the good stuff in her treasure hoard you know? How do you think even the basics are handled. Are they gracious about toilet paper, or is it a less forgiving situation where we find say Illyana knocking on the door to Magneto's room asking to borrow the roll again? Imagine going to Cyclops asking for everyone to have their own roll, as well not that cheap factory stuff that chaps your bum, and getting " For the good of the mutant race and Madison Jeffries is working on a solution to the problem, after of course he finishes with more pressing issues of the island. Yeesh! It really is like a prison. No wonder Jubilee went and became a vampire. She needed to fly to the store. Would you live there?

No Caption Provided
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By PrinceIMC

Utopia is in the San Francisco bay, I imagine they go to shore to get the things they need whenever they need to.

infonation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By infonation

@CATPANEXE: You're right, Utopia needs more rescources, if only for the sake of creature comforts!

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PrinceIMC
    @CATPANEXE said:

@PrinceIMC: That still would constitute smuggling, and achieve the same results. Were talking about the same people who were attacked because their was a museum with their likeness in the city. I would think it stands to reason the deal would be more isolated then convenient. Factoring in the time they are on red alert and lockdown.

Why would going to Costco and buying a huge supply of toilet paper be smuggling? San Francisco has been depicted as very welcoming to the X-Men (sure there are still some problems) but remember those issues with Pixie going out clubbing, Avalanche owning a bar, stuff like that. Sure the Museum of Mutant Rights or whatever it was was attacked but the city for the most part still welcomes them. There's also Worthington Industries (or was Worthington Industries anyway) that would help supply them. There's also a ton of smart people on Utopia who could set up supply drops on the island or just have one of the teleporters go and fetch from the city, or anywhere in the world really.
    vicioushero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vicioushero

They receive supplies from San Fran. Scott worked it all out, with the Mayor and such. Also they are free to come and go as they please in the city overall they are welcomed by they residence of the city.

Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Over the years the X-Men would have to have come up with some very sophisticated relationships to get the raw materials they need to keep Cerebro and the X-Jet working. Titanium and rare earth elements for their tech are hard to come by just for your average person, not to mention the ones that are not even legal to purchase outside of the military. I could see the relationships and deals in place for these in the past to be affected by the new political situation of Utopia, but again this has not been explored.

- Considering Emma is the source of funds since selling her company and being an ex-villain she would have black market contacts from the old days that she still could call on. Xavier is on the outs and based on some comments I'm not sure how much he has left, and Warren has been cut off since he lost his mind.

- I would guess (if they ever bothered to explain this) that they have set up front companies and related financial accounts where all the basics of modern life are ordered online and delivered to warehouse facilities in the San Fran area. The subterfuge on the accounts would be so that enemies could not tamper with their deliveries or use it as a way to ambush or infiltrate Utopia security. There may be shortages at times but likely not to be long term barring high or illegal tech.

- Stockpiles maintained in the warehouse would be transported to Utopia via the various teleporters as using the X-Jet or shipping via barge would be to easy to spot and trace back. I cannot think of another method that would not require Pixie and Magik to be the mutant Fed Ex that would not be easy to spot at the moment.

- I will agree that the conveniences we are used to would be harder to come by due to security concerns, how you keep a bunch of teenagers away from the mall for longer than a week without a riot is impressive.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By jrock85

@lykopis said:

There was an issue, dealing with....grrrr.... I can't recall the mutant in question....I think Gambit? Something about him about to leave but then deciding to stay? Some fisherman was trying to bring supplies over to Utopia but was having a hard time with all the human hatred and whatnot.

There goes my night, lol --- now I have to go find out!

Yep. It was in one of those Nation X one-shots.

VictorGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By VictorGrey

They used to have Nightcrawler teleport and smuggle them the goods from back town... but now they're screwed...

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PrinceIMC
    @VictorGrey said:

They used to have Nightcrawler teleport and smuggle them the goods from back town... but now they're screwed...

They've got Pixie and Magik.
    Avatar image for deactivated-579156ff11b09
    deactivated-579156ff11b09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CATPANEXE said:

Actually I take it all back. They have a magical dimension hopping leprechaun in their employ ( he sniffed Scotts underpants, this will not go unpunished) that wishes whatever a person needs into their hand even before they themselves think of the item. I've never actually seen this in the comic itself, but I assume it must be there. Sure, I'm staying then. Tell Rockslide to take my luggage back to my quarters. Good thing as I was about to move up to a third world country, but now that I understand Utopia is the ritz...

- What other resort do you get attacked by air-dropped bio-engineered Preadator X's FOR FREE

- Sandals got nuttin on Utopia-style

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jrock85

@lykopis: Pixie really looks like she has to take a dump. LOL

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jrock85

@lykopis: This is why I save all of the unused napkins I get from restaurants.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.