k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

Matt Kindt is doing a solid job continuing Dr. Silk's plot, but I just have to give praise to CAFU's artwork and Brian Reber's coloring before discussing the writing. Visually, this is a consistently pleasing issue. Not only is all of the character work and attention to the locations impressive, but they do an excellent job telling the story through the handling of panels, too. There's only one splash page -- a moment that definitely deserves it -- and there were plenty of creative little bits that I enjoyed throughout the issue. From neat transitions to using just the right perspective to make us fully appreciate these scenes, CAFU and Reber really delivered with this one. Even something as simply as Eternal Warrior on a rooftop looked ridiculously cool. In the entire issue, my only visual complaint was there's one seemingly odd transition when two characters are having a conversation. The scene jumps from sitting on a rooftop to walking on the ground, but the conversation doesn't seem to skip a beat. This small, small negative is massively outweighed by the consistently strong effort by both of these artists, though.

Kindt made this one hell of an entertaining issue. He manages to move the narrative along while offering some major spectacle. Ninjak has one fight scene and, even though it's brief, it's oh-so-memorable. The way its conveyed is sure to leave an impact or maybe even drop your jaw as Ninjak unleashes a weapon on his palm. And the bit with the plane? A cinematic joy, as well. Kindt does a more than able job presenting Ninjak as an absolute badass. It's a bit of a bummer that Gilad Anni-Padda doesn't get much time to shine -- be it his personality or as a combatant -- but the writer surprises us by showing us a more caring side of X-O Manowar. It's just enough to make readers of this book realize Aric's more than just a barbarian wearing some sweet technology. It's a nice little dose of heart in such a dark story.

The Bad

Livewire is basically reduced to exposition in this issue. Unfortunately, some of it is repetitive, too. More than a handful of lines are dedicated to the same thing: saying how deep Silk's plan goes. As stated above, Eternal Warrior doesn't seem to get the same degree of focus as his peers do. Watching him reflect is a nice moment -- well, nice for us -- but then his focus is pushed aside for another character. It's not a big deal, but it definitely seems like he hasn't received as much love in this series as his other teammates have.

The Verdict

When the stakes are this high, it's tough to really feel the tension or suspense because you know the worst-case scenario could never possibly happen. However, Kindt is still able to create an incredibly gripping and engaging storyline. Sure, the exposition hinders the pacing a little bit, but overall, this is a thoroughly enthralling chapter. He's able to deliver plot development, character, and really good action in just this issue. Throw in a visual team that clearly gives it their all on every page and you've got a great issue.

That60sGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

Unity is by far the best team book out right now - including TMNT. Can't wait for Armor Hunters.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I don't like that Kindt down plays Gilad, that woman never should have been able to put a take down on him like that.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

I dropped this a while back. Something about this series wasn't working for me, though I love Valiant and their characters.

I think Valiant thinks Matt Kindt is their ultimate answer to launching every book, I just don't see it.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@jonny_anonymous: I agree. I am getting really pissed. Valiant is treating him like shat. He has been treated so bad, first is solo is cancelled. Or sorry I mean "hiatus", now he gets beat up by a near braindead woman. He gets no page time whatsoever. It frickin sucks. He is the most experienced fighter ever yet Ninja gets all the fight scenes. And he has never been in focus first arc was about Aric and Live wire, this arc is about Ninja, next arc is all about Bloodshot.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I agree. I am getting really pissed. Valiant is treating him like shat. He has been treated so bad, first is solo is cancelled. Or sorry I mean "hiatus", now he gets beat up by a near braindead woman. He gets no page time whatsoever. It frickin sucks. He is the most experienced fighter ever yet Ninja gets all the fight scenes. And he has never been in focus first arc was about Aric and Live wire, this arc is about Ninja, next arc is all about Bloodshot.

Yea and it's like Kindt doesn't know that he has super strength and also uses guns.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: yup. I said the same thing to ilikeswords. Gilad has been around forever and uses all weapons. Yet Kindt is treating him like a barbarian. With only an axe and basic metal armor. He needs to get written like he was in Archer and Armstrong, the biggest badass who ever lived. But no we get a a backseat character who barely says a word.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: yup. I said the same thing to ilikeswords. Gilad has been around forever and uses all weapons. Yet Kindt is treating him like a barbarian. With only an axe and basic metal armor. He needs to get written like he was in Archer and Armstrong, the biggest badass who ever lived. But no we get a a backseat character who barely says a word.

I asked Pak on twitter the other day if he knew when EW was coming back and he said he can't divulge that information but there is plans for the character.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I know I follow cary nord on instagram and he is constantly putting on pages of a new EW thing he is working on.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.