undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

UNCANNY X-MEN has slowed waaaaay down over the last few issues and taken a real, hard look at the characters who make up the team, especially one Scott Summers. So it’s hardly surprising when the leader of the mutant revolution shows up to have some one-on-one time with Mystique, particularly in the wake of her extremely erratic behavior both pre and post AXIS. This is the kind of issue that Brian Bendis excels at: two characters hashing it out. Of course when dealing with Mystique, things are rarely as they seem, especially as the focus cuts back and forth between that conversation and one between Dazzler and Maria Hill as the former demands as nicely as she can for everything SHIELD has on Mystique for the purposes of repaying that whole “abducted you and impersonated you for several months” incident. This is a very mellow issue, but it’s never a boring one and there’s an important distinction to be made there. There’s a tremendous tension in both conversations that ratchets up very slowly and very suddenly, but when it finally breaks it feels tremendously satisfying and pays off perfectly.

Kris Anka’s linework is in top form, making the characters look distinct and stylized while also keeping them grounded and very, very real looking. It can’t be easy to draw an issue that’s 95% dialog and still have it be exciting, but Anka sure makes it LOOK easy. There’s a great effortlessness to the body language and facial features of the characters that communicates far more than even what the dialog, sharp as it is, does and it lends the issue a natural feeling. Marte Gracia’s colors are subdued and dark, giving a great look at the sinister intent simmering just beneath the surface as these characters circle one another.

The Bad

The cover is total nonsense and that’s not normally worth emphasizing, but in this case it’s actually incredibly misleading. It’s not a major problem, but it’s one that’s worth pointing out. The issue also jumps around a bit and then just kind of stops and frankly it feels like we didn’t get QUITE enough of the story as this could have been two issues easily.

The Verdict

Even though it feels abrupt, this is still a taut, evenly paced (riiiight up until the last few pages) issue that leaves the reader wanting more, but not unsatisfied in the least. It’s great to see Bendis going back to Dazzler, particularly in the wake of her recent transformation and the tendency of X-Books to lose track of their characters, what with the massive cast that each book tends to sport, making this catch-up even more satisfying. Anka and Gracia’s art makes what could have been a dry, or perfunctory issue bristle with tension and life and the result is one of the better standalone issues this book has received in a long time. The new recruits are in an interesting place by issue’s end and it makes one genuinely curious as to what’s to come in their future.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Haven't had a chance to get this issue yet, but I'm getting so hyped for the oversized final issue. It's like a graphic novel from what I've read about it. Bendis's writing works best in trades so getting it all at once will be amazing.

DaymarePrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DaymarePrime

Feels strange that issues like this are coming up right near the end of the 5 month wait for issue 600 now. Kind of how "off" the last All-New seemed to be introducing a whole new chapter in the life of a character and a brand new team of mutants...

Anka's art has improved some from when he first started and adding a colorist has really allowed him to try and add some level of detail and expression to his work.

A good character building issue.

Cannot help but state the obvious that the issues are solicited with a specific cover a little in advance but it is also obvious that the story has went in a different direction than originally intended if they are this far off month in and month out now. Either his plan to leave the title was not as "from the beginning" as is stated, or the storyline changed from what he originally had written.

It will be a LONG wait for followers of the title until 600. I feel bad for them.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 owie  Moderator

Some of the recent issues or so of Uncanny and All-New have been really nice close-ups on characters, it's been great. Jean and Emma, Magik and Shadowcat, Scott and Havok-- good character studies. And this was good too. But I agree, this cover and the covers for some of those others have all been atrocious examples of being unrelated to the stories. The Jean and Emma issue is the worst--they're the only two characters in it, and the cover has Beast and Iceman.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mark_Stephen

Last time I looked at Dazzler in SHIELD she'd turned into fascist agent with no respect or knowledge of criminal law or civil rights, I was happy when Mystique took her out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I just want it to end.

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

Haven't had a chance to get this issue yet, but I'm getting so hyped for the oversized final issue. It's like a graphic novel from what I've read about it. Bendis's writing works best in trades so getting it all at once will be amazing.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news... but did you hear it was delayed until (I think) October?(!)

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great issue. It was nice to finally see Dazzler get some screen time. Really wish Uncanny #600 wasn't delayed by a million years, though. Looking forward to whatever it is that Hijack was planning.

Ambaryerno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The issue also jumps around a bit and then just kind of stops and frankly it feels like we didn’t get QUITE enough of the story as this could have been two issues easily.

Am I the only one who finds this statement EXTREMELY ironic for a Bendis book?

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

My issue is that there obviously isn't a plan or established motivation for Mystique. There's no reason for why Mystique has been acting this way, they've been pretending for years that she has some greater scheme but nothing has surfaced. The second she could've revealed anything, they turned it into an action scene.

I read her solo, I read her X-factor run, some of her early Uncanny stuff, some of her appearances in the Wolverine titles and she always had a purpose or a cause of some kind. They also always made her partially sympathetic but nowadays they don't want to go in deep with her anymore, it's so frustrating. Don't use her if you don't get her and don't have a plan for her.

Kokemabb200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 owie  Moderator

@hexthis said:

My issue is that there obviously isn't a plan or established motivation for Mystique. There's no reason for why Mystique has been acting this way, they've been pretending for years that she has some greater scheme but nothing has surfaced. The second she could've revealed anything, they turned it into an action scene.

I read her solo, I read her X-factor run, some of her early Uncanny stuff, some of her appearances in the Wolverine titles and she always had a purpose or a cause of some kind. They also always made her partially sympathetic but nowadays they don't want to go in deep with her anymore, it's so frustrating. Don't use her if you don't get her and don't have a plan for her.

I agree with this.

Also, the one thing I wish they did this issue was show how Dazzler faked being Cyclops, just because there were several ways I could imagine it. I don't know that I've seen Dazzler do it, but I suppose her light powers could make a hologram; or the young morphing mutant whose name I can never remember because he's been such a non-factor in this series; or it could just have boringly been the Cukoos' telepathy, which is what it probably was. Anyway I just wish they mentioned it.

lucaxcx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still didn't get why they put Emma Frost on the cover even when she don't even show her face in this issue, made me wait for so so so long, and nothing... Well but maybe this could mean that she'll be important in this saga of mystique. I hope so.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#13  Edited By Teerack

I really want to see someone get through to Mystique for real. They gotten as far as they could with the character as a villain years ago and it's time she goes through the kind of stuff Magneto did a decade ago and grows as a character.

candy_cindy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie: The Stepford Cuckoos clearly said that it was them.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 owie  Moderator

@owie: The Stepford Cuckoos clearly said that it was them.

It was implied, but it wasn't completely direct. They say something like "we're losing our hold," and while that could mean "we're losing our hold on the illusion," it could just mean that they're losing their hold on keeping her trigger finger frozen. And I guess I am somewhat resisting the implication that they're talking about the illusion since it's the least interesting resolution to me. But yes, I agree that it's the most likely possibility.

Also, welcome to the Vine!

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
    HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was one panel where Dazzlers eyes were blue, and than they later turned green, which I found a bit weird. Though not a big problem.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why is there such a big gap until Uncanny 600?

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dazzler? Screentime? Purchasing today.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie said:

Also, the one thing I wish they did this issue was show how Dazzler faked being Cyclops, just because there were several ways I could imagine it. I don't know that I've seen Dazzler do it, but I suppose her light powers could make a hologram; or the young morphing mutant whose name I can never remember because he's been such a non-factor in this series; or it could just have boringly been the Cukoos' telepathy, which is what it probably was. Anyway I just wish they mentioned it.

Yes, she can use her powers to make holograms (see the first two panels):

No Caption Provided

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 owie  Moderator

@owie said:

Yes, she can use her powers to make holograms (see the first two panels):

No Caption Provided

Thanks!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.