Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

THIS REVIEW WILL NECESSARILY CONTAIN SPOILERS FROM UNCANNY X-MEN #29

The Good

Last issue ended with the time-hopping Eva Bell in the past to try and contact Professor X and warn him that his methods for dealing with the ultra-powerful Matthew Malloy are doomed to failure. Professor X is, understandably, perturbed for any number of reasons, but this isn’t actually what the issue focuses solely on, which was my concern at last issue’s end. The time is split about evenly between Bell trying to convince Xavier and people’s reactions, in the present, to the death of Scott Summers (as well as Magik) and this is where the book truly shines. Brian Bendis manages to give things a sense of weight and consequence, even though it almost certainly won’t last, and focuses especially on the reactions of Maria Hill, and S.H.I.E.L.D. at large along with Emma Frost and it’s here that the issue shines: characterizations. As often happens with Bendis-written books, the quality sinks or swims by how well written the characters are and these are some interesting, excellent characters. Frost in particular reacts in some unexpected, but totally in-character, ways considering her rather complicated relationship with the deceased and Eva acquits herself well against Professor X, who himself is written with a bit more edge than he often portrayed. It took awhile to realize that the 90s cartoon Xavier that many grew up with as their main example of the character was not actually terribly representative of the character’s comic incarnation, as he’s always had a real darkness to him since the very first issue of X-MEN and Bendis seems to take a particular glee in bringing that out of him.

Chris Bachalo is on pencils and, as always, does some amazingly dynamic thing with a static medium. Panels hum and shift almost seemingly as the reader’s eye traces across them and the illusion of movement is powerful, making this relatively calm issue crackle with energy, though credit must also be given to the veritable legion of inkers with Tim Townsend, Mark Irwin, Jaime Mendoza, Victor Olazaba and Al Vey all getting in on the act. Though it’s never clear who does pages, or panels, are done by whom, so they’re doing something right and bringing a sense of impact and solidness to Bachalo’s wild, kinetic pencils. Bachalo also handles colors alongside Antonio Fabela and they look great. Crisp, clean and just a little bit dark but with an overall sense of bombast and fantastic energy.

The Bad

Time travel. I can’t believe it’s still time travel. The notion of splinter timelines has been entirely thrown out the window, making characters like Cable and Bishop’s presence in comics questionable at best, but soaring RIGHT past that quiet retcon is the fact that the trope’s mere presence in this story means that the stakes are automatically at their lowest point. It’s impossible to screw up whatever’s going on because there’s an infinite number of do-overs. The characters having to carry the issue is a double-edged sword because, while they pull it off, it means the plot can aspire to be little more than serviceable. Which this one is.

The Verdict

Time travel is one of the least effective tropes in fiction because it requires so much mental gymnastics, or writing stuff off as “it works because it does,” and it becomes ESPECIALLY problematic in mainstream superhero books where it’s been too often use as a magic wand to fix a seemingly unfixable situation. That this issue still holds up is a testament to how passionately the characters are written and how beautiful the visuals are. It’s unclear where this story is going, but as long as these characters (and a creative team of this quality) are leading the way, it should be worth the journey.

RedHush1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

Is Havok in this? It says this has fallout from Axis in the solicit and at the end of Axis we see Havok hugging Cyclops

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Cyclop's dead???

jaybefre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@keroga said:

Cyclop's dead???

He is?!? Nuuuuuuooooooooooo!!!! :'(

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jaybefre: I don't know man! (In trying not to freak out.lol)..the article said something about Magik also appearing dead or disappearing..so maybe they just teleport ed....Cyclops can't be dead right?

Materiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The arc that just won't end. It was a good issue, though. Lots of stuff happening.

jaybefre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@keroga: Well... *sniff* if he is... *sniff* he'll be brought back to life after the Marvel Secret Wars aka reboot, right?!?

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know Cyclops isn't dead. He shows up in Axis and in New Avengers. Remember this is still all Original Sin stuff

illmatic4177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Cyke just can't die, prolly a teleport, or if he is dead, well there is always young scott

jaybefre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jaybefre

@illmatic4177: Then what is it? They're converging 616 (Mainstream) and 1610 (Ultimate) for what? Just to bring over Miles Morales? They're doing it so they can pick and choose the versions of the characters they want, which will most likely reflect what is being shown in the MCU. If it's not a reboot then they're definitely going to be rewriting a lot of history... Look at the Maximoff twins, they've already started...

capelibra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By capelibra

@gizmorino said:

Cyke just can't die, prolly a teleport, or if he is dead, well there is always young scott

Nope...he dead. The last ish ended with Matt SHIELD killing Matt, Scott and Illanya (their remains were confirmed by the SHIELD agents that found killed them). However, as Corey said in his review, the whole time travel trope make it hard to take these deaths too seriously :)

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

Nice

SuperPat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capelibra: It wasn't Matt that killed Scott and Magik, it was S.H.I.E.L.D.

Sparks243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked when Emma punched Matt, was such a fantastic moment and even made me think they could end up back together.

capelibra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By capelibra

@superpat: D'oh...you beat me before I could fix my mistake. Nice catch :)

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So cyclops will return ?right?

copete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope so! But this book is amazing deserves 5 stars! Benids kiling it!!

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capelibra: woah!! I really need to pick this up.

So what's the reaction of the others like bobby, beast, magneto, maria hill etc.

capelibra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capelibra: woah!! I really need to pick this up.

So what's the reaction of the others like bobby, beast, magneto, maria hill etc.

They don't find out until the issue Corey's reviewed above. Maria Hill's response is pretty funny. Emma's response is something you have to see for yourself. Corey's description above is pretty accurate.

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheFizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great issue. Bendis has taken an overlong and frankly floundering arc and made one of his best issues in the series yet. The story is a 5. The art is a hard 5. I love me some Bachalo! The time travel element although I'm not crazy about it either, I don't think it quite takes the impact away from the issue. I know the current status quo is tenuous at best, but I hope we see more of the fallout in the coming issue. Bendis has me back on the edge of my proverbial seat after all I wanted, before this issue, was the arc to end.

If you were one of the people that was kind of "Meh" about the last page I totally can understand that point of view as well, but it worked for me.

Wurzel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a great arc and could be streched forever and i still can't get enough of it. Marvel's curently timeline though is a mess. This arc is start two- three days ago (in story time) when Logan is alive, and now in Marvel is...

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#23 owie  Moderator

I forgot to complain about this before, but "killing" them with some simple SHEILD missiles was the dumbest "death" ever. All they go through, everything they can survive, and we're supposed to believe some everyday missiles, from a lumbering helicarrier, can kill them? Cyclops, who can shoot down missiles with his eye beams, and has done so before? Magik, who could teleport them or the missiles away? And super-mutant guy, who is supposedly the most powerful mutant ever, can't just wish them away? So dumb.

mickeymayhew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The notion of splinter timelines has been entirely thrown out the window, making characters like Cable and Bishop’s presence in comics questionable at best,

when did that happen??

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.