rabbitearsblog's Uncanny X-Men: Lovelorn #1 - Uncanny X-Men: Lovelorn review

Avatar image for rabbitearsblog

What it means to lose the one you love.

Early Thoughts:

So, while I was reading some newer “X-Men” comics, I have stumbled upon this trade back issue called “Uncanny X-Men: Lovelorn,” which is written by Matt Fraction along with artwork by Terry Dodson. Now, I have also noticed that the current “X-Men” comics are not as “well-written” as the earlier comics were, so I was not surprised that my expectations for this volume was not very high and for good reasons.

What is the story?

This volume is about how Colossus is still coping over the loss of his lover, Kitty Pryde, when she sacrificed herself during Joss Whedon’s run on “Astonishing X-Men.” Unfortunately, an old enemy of Colossus’ comes to America causing mayhem everywhere he goes! Can Colossus stop this menace while still suffering from his loss of Kitty Pryde? Also, Beast and Angel are off to gather up the greatest scientific minds around the world to help solve the issue about the mutant births.

What I loved about this comic:

The formation of the X-Club: When I first heard about Beast trying to form a team full of scientists, I was amazed because all this time, I have often wondered about whether or not the X-Men should form a team of scientists that can solve any kind of challenges ahead for the mutants. It was interesting to see the people that Beast selected for this group including Dr. Nemesis which Matt Fraction made his dialogues extremely hilarious! I was also pleased to see that the X-Club is actually trying to solve the mystery behind the mutant births since that is important to the aftermath of M-Day.

Terry Dodson’s artwork: I really enjoyed Terry Dodson’s artwork in this volume. The characters look truly realistic and the action scenes are very well illustrated. Probably the only problem I had with his artwork is that Colossus looks a little too rough in human form since his face has many scratch marks and his head looks a little too square.

What made me feel uncomfortable about this book:

Well, the story was a bit of an average read for me because there seems to be a plot lurking throughout this volume, but at the end, the story seems to hit a dead end somewhere. I liked the idea about Colossus mourning over Kitty’s death, but the man he encounters during his childhood is a bit of a puzzle to me. For one thing, we do not know the name of the man that tortured Colossus’ parents when he was a child and it seems like he was just there to cause some kind of obstacle for Colossus. Also, I do not think that the man’s powers are that special. The man that tortures Colossus is also a mutant and his powers is that he can absorb people’s secrets and the people’s secrets would appear on his tattooed body (if that makes sense). I really do not see why this man is even mentioned since we do not know anything about him and I felt that Colossus could have handled his sadness over Kitty’s sacrifice in a more personal manner than confronting someone from his past that we do not know about until this story was created. Also, while the plot of this volume has an interesting concept (Colossus dealing with his fears and the formation of the X-Club), it feels like they are not going anywhere with the direction of these characters and how they deal with the problems they are faced. I found Colossus’ story to not really have a satisfying ending that I would have expected as it ends on an unclear note and the same is said about the formation of the X-Club as it also ends on an unclear note. This volume tends to be a bit slow and cluttered in many scenes as we have so many events going on in this volume that it is hard to figure out what is really going on. I know that these are collected stories from different issues all in order, but still the story seems a bit difficult to understand since so many things are happening at once.

One last nitpick…

I know that this is not a big deal, but I usually get irritated when they show so many X-Men characters on the book cover and the story only focuses on three or four characters instead. When I pick up a comic and I see so many characters on the cover, I expected the comic to be about all the characters on the cover, not just half of them.

Final Thoughts:

Overall, “Uncanny X-Men: Lovelorn” has a lot of interesting ideas about the trials of losing a loved one and facing your fears, but I think that the story could have been a bit better if the themes were explored a little more and there was more closure on the challenges that the characters faced. “Uncanny X-Men: Lovelorn” is an alright story for anyone who loves reading about characters losing loved ones, but I would not really pick this book up much after wards.

Taken from my Goodreads review.