circularlogic's Uncanny X-Men #1 - The New Revolution review

Avatar image for circularlogic

Yeah, that visor looks dumb.

I don't side with Cyclops on the "Cyclops versus Everything" debate. There I said it. Don't I have balls?

And let's face it, I don't believe a single writer working for Marvel (except maybe Kieron Gillen) actually sides with Cyclops either. Certainly reading AvX (largely penned by BMB, who also does this book) it's pretty clear to me that the X-men were villains in that event. So honestly, I didn't come into this book with much faith.

Thankfully, Brian Micheal Bendis and Chris Bachalo just knock it out of the park.

Typically, Bendis has his own style that you can feel in all his books. Splash panels, witty banter that occasionally blurs characterization, things that give each of his books a certain recognizable quality. In Uncanny X-men, he gives it an entirely different quality. Humor is toned down from his usual motif, and combined with Bachalo's love it or hate it (I love it) art, it gives the book a tone that matches more closely with what you'd expect an X-book to be.

Another boon is that the book stays more or less independent from All New X-men. It is its own book, and it immediately distinguishes itself from the rest of the series. Taking place mostly from the point of view of the traitor announced in the lead up to this book, it defies expectations yet gives us something familiar. The action scenes are well rendered, the dialogue is tight, and the plot is immediately gripping.

The only real problems with this book are some of the coloring choices. Magneto's all white costume just looks very awkward against the typical brown tones of most of the book, and a panel or two with Emma Frost looked strange. That said, I was pleasantly surprised with this book. It hasn't done anything to make you feel like Cyclops is in the right, but I don't feel that's the point. Rather, it's telling the story of a group that are morally questionable, and I can get behind that. Make that another entry in BMB's return to form.