no_name_'s Uncanny X-Force #4 - The Apocalypse Solution : Part 4 review

Avatar image for no_name_

The One with the Big Bang

The all new X-Force ongoing series continues in this fourth issue and picks up on the Akkaba ship where Psylocke has come face to face with the reincarnation of Apocalypse. But can the young boy be rehabilitated, or must the team kill him off?

The Good

What can I say about this issue other than that it is a model of sheer perfection? Everything I have ever wanted in a comic book, is here. You want edge of your seat excitement, perfect pacing, art that will give you an eyegasm, scenes that will make you want to puke and finally, a hint of a love triangle? Look no further.

First of all, if you can write a book that can make me love Wolverine and Deadpool, two characters that have completely over-saturated Marvel comics, then you win. No, seriously. After getting hit by pestilence, one of Apocalypse's Horsemen, Wolverine snaps out of it and helps Fantomex come to just in time to prevent the ship from teleporting away. It is the following scene, however, that completely blew my mind. Deadpool goes to lengths in order to save Warren (Archangel) and the scene plays out absolutely brilliantly.

The best scene in the issue, however, is towards the end when Psylocke faces off against one of her teammates and proves that she can truly stand her ground and isn't afraid to stand up for what she thinks is right. This was powerful because it not only showcased Betsy as a truly powerful and independent thinker; but also that she has no problem putting her personal feelings to the side and focusing on what she feels is the right path. The issue, essentially, was about getting the job done, and in one scene, Rick Rememder demonstrates to the reader that this ISN'T the X-Men, This is X-FORCE. It is in this issue that the characters realize that being on X-Force, a covert team, means getting the job done. Getting "it" done may also mean putting some of your beliefs to the side.

The Bad

The worst part about this issue is the fact that I have to wait for the next one.

The Verdict- 5 out of 5

With it's brilliant pacing and edge of your seat excitement, Uncanny X-Force is required reading for ANY comic reader. If you haven't been reading, this is one series you need to have on your pull list.