caladbolglight's Uncanny X-Force #15 - Tabula Rasa review

Avatar image for caladbolglight

Tabula Rasa

The Story

Pestilence tries to give Psylocke a pep-talk about Archangel, to tell her that she is privileged to be his chosen one. Betsy really isn't impressed. Among the ruins of the previously destroyed small town, Archangel, Dark Beast, Genocide, Famine and Death plant both the life seed and The World. They use the combined energies to evolve the area where the town was, and they mean EVOLVE. By about 200 million years. Both above and below ground. They want Archangel to rule them all. The land takes on an Avatar-esque look. Back in the world, Ultimatum watches their progress next to the now 4817 day old (13 years) growing En Sabah Nur. Betsy tries to escape from the Akkaba Metropolis but is stopped by the AoA Blob. E.V.A locates Archangel and Fantomex, Deadpool and Deathlok pursue him. It appears that Fantomex is now the interim leader of the group. While Archangel and Fantomex trade blows and Famine quickly takes down Deadpool. Deathlok decides to go all out and trades control of his body over to his organic-psychopath self. He quickly frees Deadpool and beheads Death. When Genocide arrives, Jean-Philippe decides to scram. Back at E.V.A, Deathlok performs a rather brutal (though successful) interrogation on Famine. He spills the location of the Akkaba base. Archangel visits the Dreaming Celestial to gather a Death Seed to chose his successor. And the winner is...Psylocke!

The Good

As per usual Remender's writing and Opena's are both fantastic and awesome. Archangel is easily one of the best villains out there. I get the feeling that he will turn good again, given that he's such a popular character, but the story makes it feel like he really is irredeemably bad. I LOVE how this entire series is basically one big story. It really makes you feel like everything is relevant.

The Bad

For some reason I wasn't as crazy about this issue. I don't like how they brought back Blob, partially because I think that there are so many more interesting people to bring back and also because he looks disgusting and it's not fun to see him. Archangel, as good of a villain as he is, seems kinda weak, compared to the multiple-powered Apocalypse. Are metal wings really that great.

The Verdict

It'll be interesting to see what happens to Betsy. I kinda hope that she does become Death, though we know that no matter what, she'll be part of X-Force (Regenesis). This issue I thought was kind of strange, maybe because I thought that Archangel's M.O wasn't the greatest, and that the events of last issue left for a killer cliffhanger that wasn't exactly what I was expecting. In the end though, it's an excellent issue and I can't wait to see what comes next!