Follow

Ultimate New Ultimates

Volume »

This is a brand new Ultimate line from Marvel that contains a brand new Ultimates line-up. Also containing villains, twists, and many surprises.

Is this whole "Ultimate Universe" thing working out?

themaskedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 4

Edited By themaskedhero

Back in the early years of the 00's I was in love with the Ultimate Universe, I think it was really a good gateway drug to the Marvel Universe Proper in many ways, you learn about Peter Parker and Mary Jane in Ultimate Spider-Man, you go look into their adventures in Amazing. But as the reboot nears the one year mark in a few months I'm beginning to wonder if it's simply that I no longer need a second living timeline in my Marvel comics experience or if the universe as a whole has run it's course.  

Believe me, I loved Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #1 and all the new things it brought to the Ultimate Peter Parker character. I'm interested to read about Peter and Gwen as a couple, because even though she was dead for about a decade when I was born, I like the idea of Peter and Gwen more then Peter and MJ. But as the last few issues have passed by, I don't feel that much into what's going on, maybe I just want the High School romance of two characters more then the misadventures of Rick Jones. I still plan to read it for awhile longer, just to give Bendis the benefit of the doubt, but it's becoming a shorter list of things I'm liking every day. 

But the real reason I write this blog, the thing that really makes me stand up and shout, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!" is New Ultimates, after reading this crap I begin to wonder why the Ultimate office is letting Loeb near these characters after he F%&$ed them over last time. I mean, is it just me? I think this is a waste of paper. I understand that there is the underlining story of the return of Ultimate Thor and some other mess, but this doesn't feel needed, it doesn't feel like it continues the story. And why is Hela disrobing for Thor? I understand sex happens in the Ultimate/Marvel Universe, but this and the crap going on in Ultimates 3 a few years back (also written by Loeb strangely) just seems to be sex for the purpose of getting attention.  

I don't know, the more I think about it the more I think maybe Jeph Loeb shouldn't be allowed near the Ultimate Office and that people like Bendis and Millar can handle it. I really liked the Ultimate Universe so many years back and I guess I'd like to know how other feel.

Polymorph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Polymorph

i never really enjoyed them, i read them but wouldn't tell someone else to read them, the one thing that I really really like about it is how main characters die, so theres not a story arc that will come up where you know everyone is going to survive, its a actual surprise which I think comics have no more. Their too predictable. 

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Primmaster64

Nah.Don't like it

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By AtPhantom

Didn't Ultimatum creatively kill off the Ultimate universe?

themaskedhero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By themaskedhero
    @AtPhantom: Kind of, I had a lot of hope it pull itself back together, but it ended so messy.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Primmaster64

I read marvel adventures now...

Avatar image for ironspidy_rooney
    IronSpidy-Rooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By IronSpidy-Rooney

I think its going really and as much of a mess as it was it will distance it even more from the main Marvel universe which is a good thing but could go wrong if they distance it to much

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PrinceIMC

I liked the ultimate universe at first. Ultimate X-Men and the original Ultimates.....but I just haven't been interested in it in a long long time.

I like in an issue of She-Hulk how she explained it. The Living Tribunal asked for her to argue against the Ultimate Universe replacing the 616 universe. She called the Ultimate Universe the universal equivalent of a hot trophy wife. And though the continuity of 616 might be a little convoluted it is legendary. I like this analogy because I think the honeymoon is over with the hot new trophy wife and the Ultimate Universe should just go away.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By InnerVenom123
    @PrinceIMC said:
    " I liked the ultimate universe at first. Ultimate X-Men and the original Ultimates.....but I just haven't been interested in it in a long long time.  I like in an issue of She-Hulk how she explained it. The Living Tribunal asked for her to argue against the Ultimate Universe replacing the 616 universe. She called the Ultimate Universe the universal equivalent of a hot trophy wife. And though the continuity of 616 might be a little convoluted it is legendary. I like this analogy because I think the honeymoon is over with the hot new trophy wife and the Ultimate Universe should just go away. "
    LMFAO Genius!
    Stamps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Stamps

I like it but I think that overall its not working out so well for Marvel. It could have been great if they put half as much effort into it as they have this whole "Siege" thing.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Primmaster64
    @PrinceIMC: What issue was that?
    Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Golden Cod
    @PrinceIMC: 

At what point did you lose interest?   The analogy doesn't really work for me because I only lost interest after Loeb took over.   It's more like finding a cast member has been been replaced by a different actress and the ratings subsequently going down the tube.
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PrinceIMC
    @Primmaster64: She-Hulk vol 2 #20.

Jen Walters: "I was plucked out of time and space by the Living Tribunal himself! And all for the sake of one final case. He was passing judgment on our entire universe, and he asked me to speak on its behalf. You see, the Tribunal had discovered another universe, an ultimate universe. One that was cleaner, simpler, and more elegant. The cosmic equivalent of a hot trophy wife. And he was weighing whether of not to replace us with it."

"In that timeless void, I have no idea how long I argued...point after point. That our home wasn't convoluted, it was legendary. That it wasn't confusing, it had character. And the most important point of all: we're fun."
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Primmaster64
    @PrinceIMC: 
    Cool.
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PrinceIMC
    @Golden Cod said:
    " @PrinceIMC:   At what point did you lose interest?   The analogy doesn't really work for me because I only lost interest after Loeb took over.   It's more like finding a cast member has been been replaced by a different actress and the ratings subsequently going down the tube. "
    I don't really remember all the specifics but I remember my last issue of Ultimate X-Men was the one with Xavier in a bank robbery or something with some mutant with two heads. As for Ultimates I stopped at the end of vol 2, I saw that vol 3 was gonna have Thor talking in Shakespearean english and that crappy version of Valkyrie and the team trying to be more like the 616 version. I figured since they were becoming more like the mainstream Avengers I might as well only read the mainstream Avengers and I was happier for it.
    Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Golden Cod

I liked Millar's dark interpretation of the Avengers and it was a nice contrast from 616.   I'm not necessarily opposed to a soft-reboot like Ultimatum, but I feel like Jeph Loeb has lost what made Ultimates interesting.   

What I'd like to hear from other people is why they liked Ultimatum or didn't like the old Ultimates.   Is it just not your cup of tea or was it Millar's writing or something else?   I have my views and I'd like to understand others'.

Golden Cod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Golden Cod
    @PrinceIMC: 

So you stopped reading when Loeb took over :P
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I actually like the Ultimate Universe and wish more writers worked on it. It would give the writers more freedom to interpret characters in their own way. Instead of taking already well established and iconic characters, and changing them within the main continuity.

coolbeans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By coolbeans

I liked Ultimatum simply because it was something that is hard to be undone and brought a more gritty feel to the world. When you think about it it was more realistic in how things would turn out if there really was all these super powered heroes and villains running around on the planet.  Even though i did like Ultimatum tho because of the way it ended i dont think they can really build on it.
    i.aint.wit.it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By i.aint.wit.it

Preach PREACHA!!!! Hallelujah

Daybots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Daybots
    @coolbeans said:
    " I liked Ultimatum simply because it was something that is hard to be undone and brought a more gritty feel to the world. When you think about it it was more realistic in how things would turn out if there really was all these super powered heroes and villains running around on the planet.  Even though i did like Ultimatum tho because of the way it ended i dont think they can really build on it. "
    It was just excessive. If Dr. Strange isn't protecting the world from all the extra-dimensional beings who is?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.