inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

It's the conclusion to World War X! The final battle between Jean Grey and Kitty Pryde. Who will win it all, Utopia or Tian?

The build up to this final battle has been a long and extremely epic one. The actual battle between Jean Grey and Kitty Pryde is pretty fantastic, although it's pretty dang short. At the same time, Utopia's retaliation against Tian was something fans have really been looking for, and the end results were pretty dang cool.

The actual scenes, within Utopia are very pretty looking, especially the two-page spread featuring Rogue kneeling in the forest, sobbing. Alvaro Martinez's pencils, during the forest scenes look very nice, and his final page is set-up very nicely and has a cool perspective.

Gabriel Hardman's cover here is really nice. The colors and inks look very clear and crisp, and there's something about Ultimate Jean Grey, hanging by a thread, moments from her death that make me happy. I'm one sick puppy, I guess.

The Bad

It was such a long and amazing build-up for such a let down ending. It's really the same problem I had with ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #28: it feels rushed. The final battle really takes place in issue #32, and what we are left with is a couple punches here and a quick wrap up before CATACLYSM begins. The destruction of Tian doesn't have the impact that it should have. I have a very good feeling that this issue will read a thousand times better in trade, but as a single issue it's a mish-mash.

Strangely enough, there was some not-so-great dialogue at the end of this issue. During the final battle, Jean Grey speaks in one-liners, much in the way we'd see Spider-Man speak while he's swinging through the city, punching Sandman in the face. It feels odd and very out of character for an "oh so powerful" villain on the brink of completely losing it.

I'm really not buying the ending either. Jean Grey has been trying to wage war on Utopia for months, and it got to the point where Kitty Pryde got so angry that she went herself to Tian to end the battle, and in the end Jean Grey gets a governor put on her powers and is allowed to live in Utopia. It goes against what Jean Grey truly wanted. She rolled over. This seems so unlike the Jean Grey we know.

The Verdict

ULTIMATE COMICS X-MEN has been an amazing series since Brian Wood took over. The build up to this battle was phenomenal; however, this issue was quite the let down. This doesn't feel like ULTIMATE X-MEN. It doesn't feel like Brian Wood. It feels like it was rushed out just so Marvel could march forward to CATACLYSM. This issue ends in the middle of something and tries ever so quickly to wrap it up. As I stated before, maybe this will read much better in trade, but as it stands, as a single issue, this issue #33 was a let down.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

It's surprising that you say such negative things about a book you have raved for the past 32 issues.

It must have really been a let down then... I really like how Wood interprets all of these Ultimate characters and although I haven't read this issue, the past story arcs (I'm behind) really had me on the edge of my seat.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

My body is not ready for this...

cobra88king8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

Pixie's death feels so odd to me. There was no reason for it to happen, and no reaction to it happening. It just feels like it's there because they wanted a casualty. Which is fine if it fits the tone of the rest of the book and this didn't

darkbeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By darkbeam

I remember when Ultimate X-Men was good. Now I can't even look at it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
    deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@darkbeam said:

I remember when Ultimate X-Men was good. Now I can't even look at it.

Remember when any Ultimate Title was good?

Antonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Antonia

I didn't even know this was going on before (and admittedly haven't kept up with Ultimate books since everybody started dying) but now I kinda want to.

kanadiankozak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Pixie's death feels so odd to me. There was no reason for it to happen, and no reaction to it happening. It just feels like it's there because they wanted a casualty. Which is fine if it fits the tone of the rest of the book and this didn't

I completely agree with this. She was introduced, was extremely useful, and then just gone and everyone keeps going.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

All I wanted out of this issue was for them to give some sort of explanation on why Jean turned into a bat sh!t crazy supervillain....not even a hint

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 stars jesus that's low

Avatar image for life_without_progress
    life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fully support this casualty.

Ultron345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ultron345

I kinda want to pick this book up just to see what a Marvel 2 star looks like on Comicvine. DC gets crapped on left and right with 2 stars but i think this is the first one I have seen for Marvel.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.