zack_freeman's Ultimate Captain America #2 - Covert Cap... review

Avatar image for zack_freeman
  • zack_freeman wrote this review on .
  • zack_freeman has written a total of 351 reviews. The last one was for

Review: Ultimate Captain America #2

Still smarting from the ambush in North Korea, Cap heads to Cambodia on the trail of Frank Simpson, his disenfranchised successor.

The Good

It's a a brilliant move to re-envision Nuke as one of the interim Captain Americas who unsuccessfully tried to follow Cap's example - - and the surprise about the new super-soldiers ties that all up with a clever bow. Really, this is one of those rare superhero comics you can enjoy as much for its conceptual themes as you can for its tight storytelling. And, oh yeah... Garney renders Cap with strong, bold lines that totally sell him as the mean tough guy we all want him to be.

The Bad

While I've appreciated how Ultimate Cap is brusquer (and more realistic) than his 616 counterpart, and I get how this is supposed to be an allegory about the rude awakening World War II American pride got in the Vietnam War, I think Aaron pushes that angle too far in some spots and makes Cap out to be too much of a meat head. I'm particularly thinking of the part where he asks the Cambodians if they speak American.

The Verdict - 4.5/5

Like Ultimate Spider-Man, this book's an excellent reminder of how good the Ultimate books can be when they're on point. Not only is this accessible to the casual fan, it also streamlines the high points of decades of continuity into a neater plot that not only makes more sense in its simplification, it also shoots familiar material up with some fresh life.

Other reviews for Ultimate Captain America #2 - Covert Cap...

Breaking Point 0

As Captain America learns the tragic story of Frank Simpson from Danvers, he starts to plan how to find him, so he can teach a lesson or two about what true America means - in this torturuous road that Aaron decided to travel, there´re lots of misconceptions, oversized patriotism and plenty of america gibberish (no offense, but this issue was Join the army, please, USA is flawless - Captain America in the middle of a Cambodian village asking if anyone speaks "American"? Come on now), what made t...