Nothing is really known about Ulik's ancestry, his early years, or how he became much more powerful then his kinsmen. Ulik first came to Thor's attention when he attempted to steal Mjolnir, Thor's hammer. Each time he has faced Thor, he has held his own; even coming close to defeating the Asgardian God of Thunder on more then one occasion. After a failed attack on Earth, and his failed attempt at overthrowing King Geirrodur, Ulik was forced to stoke the subterranean furnaces that heat the Troll kingdom.
Ulik was able to escape and went further beneath Asgard, where he discovered an unknown troll tribe. He quickly took control of this new tribe and led yet another attack on Earth. Thor once again held him off and sealed the portal they used to prevent another attack.
Ulik was created by writer Stan Lee and artist Jack Kirby, and first appeared in Thor #137.
Major Story Arcs
Post Fear Itself...
After Thor's death at the hands of his uncle, the Serpent. A new god of thunder has risen from his ashes - Tanarus. In the company wide storyline Fear itself, Thor, the god of thunder fought and died in a fight with his uncle, the Serpent. All the Avengers and Asgardians gathered to give Thor a funeral. In the flames of Thor's funeral pyre, shining blue sparks gave appeared, and soon, so did Tanarus. Every Avenger and Asgardian welcomed Tanarus, with the exception of the All-Mother and Thor's brother, Loki. Loki confronted one of the Norn Witches, but was zapped to the current whereabouts of Dr. Donald Blake. Ulik had made some deal with the corrupted Norn Witches and Geirrodur, king of the trolls to replace Thor in the hearts, minds, and memories of everyone.
Powers and Abilities
Ulik is able to lift/press around 95 tons and his endurance is 6 times that of a normal human being. He can see into the infra-red range, which allows him to see in the dark caverns under Asgard. Ulik is immune to all terrestrial diseases and has exceptional recuperative powers. He is very durable, resilient and also a skilled fighter. Ulik carries around two metal pounders worn like brass knuckles. He has also been seen utilizing a sword and a mace when necessary.
- Height: 6'8"
- Weight: 780 lbs.
- Eyes: Brown
- Hair: Orange Brown
- The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes (2010) - Ulik appears in the episode "The Fall of Asgard" of the animated series The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Tony Stark is lost in the realm of Nidavellir. He is aided by some kind Dwarves, until that group is attacked, by the vicious and powerful rock troll Ulik. Ulik manages to manhandle several Dwarves, until their combined efforts with Iron Man defeats the troll. He is voiced by Troy Baker.
- Avengers Assemble (2013) - Ulik is the secondary antagonist in the episode "The Serpent of Doom" in the animated series. Ulik arrives to Earth with an Asgardian weapon know as "Codgel". His main goal is to release the Midgard Serpent. His plans are thwarted when Iron man arrives to the scene to help Thor and when Ulik throws Codgel at Thor and gets knocked out of the area leaving Ulik powerless. Codgel is later retrieved by Dr Doom. He is voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson.
- Ulik appears in the video game Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. He and Kurse steal a chest containing Volla's ring and the heroes have to fight them to get it back. He is voiced by Fred Tatasciore.
- Ulik appears in Thor: God of Thunder, based on the 2011 live-action Thor film. He is voiced by Steven Blum. Thor is trapped in Ulik's realm, Vanaheim, and must defeat him before he can return to Asgard.
- Ulik is featured in the HeroClix figure game.
- Ulik was featured in Hasbro's Marvel Universe line.
- Bowen Designs produced an Ulik bust.
- Ulik was featured in Hasbro's Marvel Legends line as part of the "Battle for Asgard" box set, which was an San Diego Comic-Con exclusive released to coincide with the 2017 Thor: Ragnarok film.