inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Pandora takes on Giganta, Signalman, and Vandal Savage as she searches for someone to open up Pandora's Box.

The relationship and history, which was a single meeting in both their pasts, is expounded upon here. These are two immortal characters, so having them have a bit of a history and an understanding for each other really works. I really like Vandal Savage though. He's a great villain, but I feel he works much better in this book because his motives and goals are so different from Pandora. She wants to fix the world, and he wants to rule it or destroy it, depending on how he feels that day. Just as I said in my review of issue one, I hope we get to see him again.

Signalman never stops talking, and I love it because it annoys me. It reminds me of the expository dialogue of the Silver and Bronze age where a character was explaining everything they do, as they do it. However, this is a part of this character. He has to say this stuff out loud because it's a part of his abilities and it's information only he knows. It gets to a point where I thought to myself, "I really want someone to hit him." Although he's not downright villainous, he's a solid right-hand-man that I love to hate. He's like that kid in 5th grade math class that knew all the answers before everyone else. You hated him for it and were envious all at the same time.

Solid fight scenes in this issue. Pandora takes on Giganta in a pretty awesome fight, then it's a fight to the death against Vandal Savage. These are both very satisfying fights, and bring a lot of fun to an issue that features a lot of set-up. I have to give it up for Ray Fawkes for trying to pack a lot into this issue. While at times I felt a bit bogged down with everything he was throwing at me, at no time was I bored with the issue. It remained pretty interesting throughout.

The Bad

We have members of the Secret Society in the issue (Signalman, Vandal Savage, and now Giganta), but this group doesn't feel like the Secret Society from other New 52 issues. It really just feels like Vandal Savage leading around a couple of goons. It's another case of the solicit misleading the reader a bit.

I'm so down the middle on Signalman with his design. He feels so out of place. Believe it or not, I like his powers, and I like the fact he never shuts ups. However, the look of the character, which did not originate here (New 52-wise) feels very dated and out of place. He's a character who really needs a new look.

A lot is packed into this issue, but very little happens. This issue feels more like a introduction to a bunch of reoccurring characters to this series than a continuation to issue one. This issue's story was just ok for me.

Finally, the art is another "just ok" moment for the book. Pandora looks great, pencil, ink, and color-wise, but everyone else looked a bit flat. There wasn't much transition in shading. They could have done a lot more with the colors here to make this pop and give the characters more depth within their scenes.

The Verdict

For some reason, a 3 star review, on this site, is scene as "the reviewer hated it!" I'll be very clear. I like this series, and I liked this particular issue. It has its ups and downs, sure, but it's not bad. I still recommend picking this up. I had high expectations for the book because Trinity War has been a blast, I've really been enjoying Ray Fawkes writing, and the tie in issues to Trinity War have been great as well, especially CONSTANTINE, but this one fell a tad flat. If you've been enjoying Trinity War or you enjoyed the first issue of this series, give this book a read.

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheBlackHood

Why did you hate this issue so much, Mat, Geez? Just kidding. I kind of agree but I think my view is skewed by how pumped I've been for Trinity War. Like you said, this just kind of felt like filler. I still enjoyed it, but I think it would have been better in my eyes if it hadn't been tagged as part of Trinity War, I just expect more out of tie ins to that story.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 inferiorego  Staff

Why did you hate this issue so much, Mat, Geez? Just kidding. I kind of agree but I think my view is skewed by how pumped I've been for Trinity War. Like you said, this just kind of felt like filler. I still enjoyed it, but I think it would have been better in my eyes if it hadn't been tagged as part of Trinity War, I just expect more out of tie ins to that story.

lol...

Yeah the Trinity War tag kinda makes sense, since Pandora is missing and people are searching her out, but it doesn't really feel like it fits with the rest of Trinity War

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: Also, is it just me or does Pandora feel more like Zealot than the Zealot that appeared in Deathstroke? I mean she fights like a crazy ninja and has those scars on her face. It would be interesting if they make the Coda all of Pandora's daughters or something.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@theblackhood: Ohhh... A Pandora bloodline? interesting...

Also, good point James!

Can you believe my sister-in-law made profit $107,504 last year on internet? Read it on website here to find out how!

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't the biggest fan of the art either, Pandora looked good but that's it.

Just curious, do any of the heroes know of Vandal Savage and his immortality or has he not been confronted yet in the new52?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 inferiorego  Staff

@hawkguy said:

Just curious, do any of the heroes know of Vandal Savage and his immortality or has he not been confronted yet in the new52?

To the best of my knowledge, I think a few characters know he's immortal. I think Wonder Woman made mention of it recently, but I may be just crazy.... or I just watched Justice League: Doom again

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawkguy said:

I would think Madame Xanadu would know and maybe some of the other JL Dark members, depending on if she told them. I need to go back and re-read his story in Presents to see if it mentioned his immortality being known to anyone.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Also, good point James!

Can you believe my sister-in-law made profit $107,504 last year on internet? Read it on website here to find out how!

stupid internet bounty hunting scams

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheBlackHood

@inferiorego said:

Also, good point James!

stupid internet bounty hunting scams

The only scam I hate more is that lame one where some dude Emails you claiming to be from some place called Wakanda and wants you to help him move his money around.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Also, good point James!

LOOL

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@inferiorego: Flagged for spam.

Also i guess some people don't like exploding eyeballs and brains pouring out a characters head in comics.

Avatar image for herokiller12344
    Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Herokiller12344

So I heard a rumor that Pandora and Savage were/are an item. Any truth to that?

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

again very little advancing the plot

shusho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By shusho

I also felt this issue was a little bit on the side, considering that is billed as part of Trinity War. It was more like a side-dish rather than part of the main course. Besides I know this is a new book but they crammed a lot with ARGUS and SHADE... where did SHADE come from anyways? I thought the DEO dealed with paranormal activities... :/

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I'm really hoping this turns out as good as Aquaman. Good luck to mr fawkes. Lets see where he can take us with this title....

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17  Edited By lifeboy

@thetimestreamer: why don't your comments ever add anything of interest to the conversation? It seems like you just thoughtlessly post to put characters down. Why don't you save yourself some time and STFU ... at least until you have something thought provoking, dynamic, electric or inciteful to say.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@lifeboy: wow. criticism shun. what a surprise. as for you, lifeboy, what's your damage, little boy? go back to your wonderous, thought provoking, dynamic, electric, inciteful world of chocolate rivers and unicorn poop.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is that guy at the end Tao from Wildstorm?

cobra88king8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

One of my main complaints this issue is that this Vandal Savage felt nothing like the one that appeared in DC Universe Presents. It's almost like they're trying to treat that series like it never happened

shusho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TitanTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I totally agree that Signalman needs a costume change. It was my biggest problem with this book. Every time I saw him I wanted to slap somebody in the face, its that bad. The delivery of the interaction between Savage and Pandora could have different, but overall still a good book. Loved the cover!

YdurZatara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, I really liked this issue.

We now know Pandora is on a mission to once and for all remove all sin from the world. How does she plan on doing this? Well.. she doesn't know but she thinks that she needs to open the box once more (maybe it will suck all those monsters back in). Unfortunately for her, the box will only open for a pure hearted individual and having done what she did and having to see the pain it's caused, she's too jaded to ever open the box again.

She desperately turned to Supes, but he, like her, seems to also be corrupted - he's not the boy scout everyone he thinks she is.

Going the darker path, she seeks out a dangerous man she's dealt with before and as it turns out, his heart and soul and entirely evil. Savage is no good to her!

Who will she turn to next? Who knows! But, I for one, liked this issue not as a main part of the Trinity War, but as the tie-in that it is.

I do think Billy Batson will ultimately be the one to open the box. Deep down inside he's just a kid trying to do good. He was also given his powers by one of those who condemned Pandora for her actions.

bigboi100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

"Simply delicious."

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.